• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Alternatives to disk lock

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Everyone.

As a good biker noobie, i need guidance. I already forgot to remove the disk lock twice in 3 months of ownership. First time i fell, this time i screw up the abs (or something related).
Problem is the link that came with the lock is too short to reach the bars, and it's problematic to fit due to handguards, so most of the time i put it on the phone mount detached from the lock itself as a reminder. But if i forgot to put the reminder, i forgot the lock.

Suggestion for alternatives? A lock that make noises when i start up the bike? Drop the lock entirely for a gps alarm?

Thanks for the help

My method for remember the disk lock: when I ride, I never have anything but the bare key in the ignition switch (additional keys beat up the paint on the triple clamp, etc). When I install a disk lock, I connect the disk lock key to the motorcycle key. When time to leave, I will immediately see that the bike key is abnormally joined to another key, thereby reminding me to take off the disk lock. Works every time for me.

My method for remember the disk lock: when I ride, I never have anything but the bare key in the ignition switch (additional keys beat up the paint on the triple clamp, etc. When I install a disk lock, I connect the disk lock key to the motorcycle key. When time to leave, I will immediately see that the bike key is abnormally joined to another key, thereby reminding me to take off the disk lock. Works every time for me.
I do the same. Hasn't saved me every time but this and alarmed disc locks works for me. However if I was in the market for a lock these days, I be looking very hard at the new ceramic fibre/particulate disc locks made by Litelock and Hiplock.

I remember when I first learnt to ride - was told a good idea to walk round the bike for a quick inspection every time you get on the bike. Its a habit I've kept to & hopefully you will see your disc lock. Or simply get a longer link. Or get into the habit of rolling the bike a couple of feet (engine off) before riding off which will identify a left on lock, hopefully without damage

I attached some neon blue line ( about 3/16” thick ) to the lock and to a jar lid which fits snugly over the ignition switch. I painted on a “stop” sign on the red lid. Works well for me.

Back