• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

An Anxious! riding moment; and what would you do?

Birdman

Reaction score
Visit site
Yesterday I was riding east on US-60 (Superstition Freeway, near Higley Road) in Mesa, Arizona when the following happened. I've added a question after the description of the episode to get a sense of what others would do or how you would react.

If I recall correctly, that stretch was four-lane. Anyway, I was in the second lane from the right traveling at about 70 mph. The traffic on this road moves quite fast. At 70 mph, many were passing me on my BMW R1200rt.

All of a sudden a young rider pulls up from behind and reaches out to give me a "fist bump." He was to my right. We were literally less than an arm's length apart. It was startling. I ignored the gesture and kept attention to the road, while at the same time drifted ever-so-slightly to the left side of my lane. I then mildly accelerated and changed lanes so as to get some distance from the young sport-bike rider.

Moments later that same rider passed in front of me, got just ahead of me, and shook his head back and forth. I interpreted that as 'I didn't react like I should have,' from his point-of-view. In other words, 'you should have returned the fist bump.' Then he and another rider went speeding (easily in excess of 90 mph) ahead and were off in the distance.

This all happened, obviously, very quickly. It was dangerous, maddening and completely unnecessary.

My question to readers who care to weigh in....what would you have done?

I would have behaved much as you did during the event, then after the two riders sped away, I would have mentally “shook my head” and pondered how some riders can be so presumptuous with a stranger and ride so recklessly.

The rider was an idiot. He placed himself and you at risk. I would have done the same thing as you did. I have riding buddies I’ve ridden thousands of miles with and we never share a lane much less someone I’ve never seen before.

Last edited:
I also agree with what you did.

With my less than average skills, pulling a fist bump is a lot to ask for. Totally forget the idea of it in that traffic situation.

I would have shaken my head at him or given some sort of back off gesture. There’s no way in hell I’d let an unknown rider get that close. Of course we’re all riding NCs in this forum and in general adventure riders tend to be a more conservative group of riders than other styles.

That's an odd thing. I wonder if he thought you were someone he knew or something(?).
I suppose I might have given a small wave with my opposite hand and just ignored from there (or changed lanes and ridden away a bit, as you did).

That's an odd thing. I wonder if he thought you were someone he knew or something(?).
I suppose I might have given a small wave with my opposite hand and just ignored from there (or changed lanes and ridden away a bit, as you did).
You might be right about a case of mistaken identity.

It is very unsafe to get that close to another rider. The guy was obviously young and inexperienced. It wouldn't have taken much to have the two bikes touching. Imho You did the right thing.

I think you did great. As others have commented, I may have given a little wave, but I also would have been very startled with someone coming that close to me.

When he got in front of you and shook his head, I would have probably given a big exaggerated shrug. ("IDK man??"). Like I said, I think you handled it very well. No need to feel guilty for not participating in the idiocy.

Come on lets all respect other riders. Even the ones that are a$$hat riders like this guy.
The fact that he sped off so fast tells you a lot about him as a rider.
He's one of those that stay in 2nd gear and weave in and around traffic.

Come on lets all respect other riders. Even the ones that are a$$hat riders like this guy.
The fact that he sped off so fast tells you a lot about him as a rider.
He's one of those that stay in 2nd gear and weave in and around traffic.
It was unacceptable for rider of the sport bike to endanger the rider of the touring bike by approaching so closely without invitation. You can respect that rider all you want, but I could not respect a rider if they acted in such a way towards me.

Yesterday I was riding east on US-60 (Superstition Freeway, near Higley Road) in Mesa, Arizona when the following happened. I've added a question after the description of the episode to get a sense of what others would do or how you would react.

If I recall correctly, that stretch was four-lane. Anyway, I was in the second lane from the right traveling at about 70 mph. The traffic on this road moves quite fast. At 70 mph, many were passing me on my BMW R1200rt.

All of a sudden a young rider pulls up from behind and reaches out to give me a "fist bump." He was to my right. We were literally less than an arm's length apart. It was startling. I ignored the gesture and kept attention to the road, while at the same time drifted ever-so-slightly to the left side of my lane. I then mildly accelerated and changed lanes so as to get some distance from the young sport-bike rider.

Moments later that same rider passed in front of me, got just ahead of me, and shook his head back and forth. I interpreted that as 'I didn't react like I should have,' from his point-of-view. In other words, 'you should have returned the fist bump.' Then he and another rider went speeding (easily in excess of 90 mph) ahead and were off in the distance.

This all happened, obviously, very quickly. It was dangerous, maddening and completely unnecessary.

My question to readers who care to weigh in....what would you have done?
I think you did exactly the right thing in not returning the fist bump. Way too dangerous and the other rider needs to dramatically change his way of saying hello. Waving is my limit and I never wave in sharp curves.

Soooo a fist bump??? If he is on your right with his left hand out for a fist bump what does he expect you to release your throttle to reach for a bump? It all seems silly to me but hey I have had cars use my lane for a pass on the right so anything can happen out there.

I would've done what you've done. I've had riders come up unexpectedly next to me on the highway (though no fist-bump - that's just ludicrous), give a little salute and drive off. In the past I just raise an index finger off the grip to acknowledge, but in reality, I'm cursing under my breath. I know they just want to say "hello", but don't put me in danger!

Yeah as I reflect back that would have been an option too; the idea being that someone as reckless as he was could be provoked even by something neutral or what he perceived as a slight.
Good point. I’m not doing the I’m better than anyone else thing, but it seems irrational, often violent, behavior is becoming the norm unfortunately. That has to be a consideration. Many seem to have lost an understanding of basic social concepts. Barring any of that, I believe you handled it well. The other problem with the other rider’s behavior is that it caused you to lose focus whether you knew it or not. It probably (may have) took you minutes to regain full focus on managing your bike, the environment, etc.

Back