• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Ankle cups, crush, puncture or decoration?

Ok, Outriders are on the way. I ordered XL from amazon because revzilla is no longet carrying the larger sizes. Discontinued? But only $56 from amazon. I also ordered Reax Superfly gloves for summer.
Nice! When you get the Reax gloves could you post some pictures. I’m curious how their palm protection is.

Honestly I doubt everything when it comes to manufacturer's claims.

Except the sex appeal of a 1984 Volvo 240 GL, of that there is no doubt :cool:

91904051990102.jpg
I’m in love...

I think I've whittled down my choices to 2 options.

Forma Cape Horn HDry at $300
Sidi Armada Gore Tex at $350

Both get glowing reviews. The "HDry" is Forma's version of Gore Tex. Most all the boot reviews are of the standard Cape Horn, not the HDry version. But as we still have a lot of snow on the ground I'm willing to wait to make my purchase and give me a bit more time to do research. I like the look of both, but lean toward the look of the Armada. I trust the Gore Tex guarantee on the Armada too and with only a $50 uncharge for lifetime gore-tex it seems pretty reasonable. The Forma's fit is probably more of a sure bet for me as I know how Forma boots fit and love the comfort. The biggest reason I don't pull the trigger on the Armada is that weird cuff with velcro opening on the outside of the leg and zipper on the inside of the leg ... could they make putting the boot on any less convenient? I mean seriously, they'd have to try hard to make that harder to put on. Users say that both boots offer all day on/off the bike comfort, which is important to me.

The Rev'it Gravel is knocked out, the sole is too rigid for an everyday boot. Just not practical for me.

The StyleMartin Matrix, which I think is actually the best looking boot, is just too much of a mystery. Some of the reviews also say it leaks water just behind the toe box. When it comes to user reviews I always figure there are going to be complaints about something, but when I read several reviews complaining about the same problem that sends up a red flag.

I think I've whittled down my choices to 2 options.

Forma Cape Horn HDry at $300
Sidi Armada Gore Tex at $350

Both get glowing reviews. The "HDry" is Forma's version of Gore Tex. Most all the boot reviews are of the standard Cape Horn, not the HDry version. But as we still have a lot of snow on the ground I'm willing to wait to make my purchase and give me a bit more time to do research. I like the look of both, but lean toward the look of the Armada. I trust the Gore Tex guarantee on the Armada too and with only a $50 uncharge for lifetime gore-tex it seems pretty reasonable. The Forma's fit is probably more of a sure bet for me as I know how Forma boots fit and love the comfort. The biggest reason I don't pull the trigger on the Armada is that weird cuff with velcro opening on the outside of the leg and zipper on the inside of the leg ... could they make putting the boot on any less convenient? I mean seriously, they'd have to try hard to make that harder to put on. Users say that both boots offer all day on/off the bike comfort, which is important to me.

The Rev'it Gravel is knocked out, the sole is too rigid for an everyday boot. Just not practical for me.

The StyleMartin Matrix, which I think is actually the best looking boot, is just too much of a mystery. Some of the reviews also say it leaks water just behind the toe box. When it comes to user reviews I always figure there are going to be complaints about something, but when I read several reviews complaining about the same problem that sends up a red flag.
50$ for Goretex is a pretty good deal. I’m actually leaning towards a boot that is non waterproof. My current Icons aren’t and I rode to work this morning in 34 degrees. Hands were cold, thanks to short riding pants my legs were very cold... feet not so much. I’m much more worried about heat at this point. I’ve heard that Forma has excellent customer service but you likely won’t get long term waterproofing from them (3 years or so?). Good luck with your decision. I’m now torn between the Forma boulder and the Gaerne G all terrain.

I wear my Sidi Cobra Gore boots year round, my feet get warm in the summer but it's never bothered me. By the point my feet are hot, everything else is hotter

Not sure about anyone else in this thread but I'm going out cruising the used car lot at my local Volvo dealership later today. I dunno why.

Fabulous idea. Let us know how that works out for you. I feel the temptation as well, but darn, I'm working a double.
I actually used to own a Volvo 240 ... currently driving an Audi A6 that is modified by APR and not street legal in all 50 of these United States but is still legal in my state, but seriously considering the Volvo S90 in the next couple of years. Honestly the current 2016 Audi A6 is behind the times on electronic gizmos but the engine is nicer than any vehicle I've ever been in so it may be the car that I own forever. I've already filled 9 garage bays and can double stack cars in some bays with lifts, so replacing this Audi will be a tough decision, but the Volvo S90 seems to tick off all the boxes (except the high performance).

I don't think there's a non-HDry version of the Cape Horn boot. I couldn't (and still can't) find mention of one, anyway.

I don't think there's a non-HDry version of the Cape Horn boot. I couldn't (and still can't) find mention of one, anyway.
Look carefully. Forma now has HDry as the current designation. No mention of DryTex on current advertising. Various websites refer to DryTex, which is what I have in my current (older) Forma boots. Near as I can tell, HDry is their newer variant (knock off) of GoreTex.

Gore-Tex remains a registered trademark but it's patent expired 21 years ago. Since then various waterproof laminated textiles used in technical apparel have come to market and go by a variety of names. Construction of the boot and sealing of seams is far more important then brand name of the waterproof membrane they use.

I spent $400 + on Sidi boots a few years ago & they shrunk. Feet are the same size but I can't get them into the boots. Got one season out of them. Can't afford to replace them but if I could I'd get them one size too large.

Forma now has HDry as the current designation. No mention of DryTex on current advertising. Various websites refer to DryTex, which is what I have in my current (older) Forma boots. Near as I can tell, HDry is their newer variant (knock off) of GoreTex.

When you wrote this:
Most all the boot reviews are of the standard Cape Horn, not the HDry version.
It made me think you had found (or thought there existed) a Cape Horn that lacked a waterproof membrane, in addition to the HDry version with one. I do not believe there is one with and one without, so I made the post. Were we talking about 2 different things?

Were we talking about 2 different things?
I think they changed their waterproofing material. So, near as I can tell, the HDry is just designating the newer variant of the same boot.

Odd story... got my boots delivery from Revzilla, opened it... and instead of Forma Cape Horns, there's a gorgeous pair of Forma Adventure boots, and not my size. Packing slip had a guy named Craig in Maryland. So I contacted Revzilla. They are re-sending the proper boots to me, and I have to return these boots. Right shipping label, wrong box.

If anyone is buying boots based on style, looking for a gorgeous pair of earth-tone brown boots, the Adventures look fantastic!

Attachments

• Resized_20210301_141615.jpg
    Resized_20210301_141615.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 9
Back