Need Help Annoying click/clacking noise 2012 NC700X DCT

Sandspike

Reaction score
Visit site
When accelerating or maintaining speed i hear a clack/clack repeating sound that increases frequency with speed and in every gear. (Other than gear change clunks) noise disappears with reduced throttle and load on engine is removed. At 30
mph it repeats at about 1 sec. interval. No such noise when run on center stand unless you induce load by putting pressure on rear brake. Seems that sound comes from lower engine area.
Checked tires for anything foreign, nothing. Checked chain and sprockets, nothing wrong. DCT acting normally. No warning lights or fault codes. Any ideas???

Griff

Reaction score
Visit site
You probably need a new chain and sprockets. I had a similar knocking sound on my former NC700X from about 10,000kms on until I changed the chain. I think it is caused by tight links travelling over the front sprocket. The original chains on most low priced Hondas are rubbish tbh.

Reactions: MZ5

Sandspike

Reaction score
Visit site
Bike has 31K miles and chain was installed at 13k So it’s a DID Xring with 18k miles. I have a chain oiler so it looks in good shape. How long is such a chain to last before problems??

dduelin

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Bike has 31K miles and chain was installed at 13k So it’s a DID Xring with 18k miles. I have a chain oiler so it looks in good shape. How long is such a chain to last before problems??
That’s like asking how long is a piece of string? There are many variables to chain life. Weather, speed, type of lubricant, adjustment and installation of oilers, etc.. 18,000 miles is a good life in my NC experience but others report longer.

davidc83

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Southern Indiana/Central Florida-part time snow bi
Visit site
If you can isolate the click/clack noise coming from the front sprocket area, your chain probably has a kink or few kinks in it....on the inside of the front sprocket cover there is a tab which sticks out over the chain....a kink will hit the tab causing a click/clack noise (similiar to a rock inside a hubcab of the car wheel)....hear it most often at acceleration in any gear or at a constant speed...I had to change a DID xring chain at 9000 miles (probably due to my over-cleaning-current chain I only lube the chain, about 15,000 miles on it now)....