• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Need Help Annoying click/clacking noise 2012 NC700X DCT

Hondo53

Reaction score
Visit site
When accelerating or maintaining speed i hear a clack/clack repeating sound that increases frequency with speed and in every gear. (Other than gear change clunks) noise disappears with reduced throttle and load on engine is removed. At 30
mph it repeats at about 1 sec. interval. No such noise when run on center stand unless you induce load by putting pressure on rear brake. Seems that sound comes from lower engine area.
Checked tires for anything foreign, nothing. Checked chain and sprockets, nothing wrong. DCT acting normally. No warning lights or fault codes. Any ideas???

You probably need a new chain and sprockets. I had a similar knocking sound on my former NC700X from about 10,000kms on until I changed the chain. I think it is caused by tight links travelling over the front sprocket. The original chains on most low priced Hondas are rubbish tbh.

Bike has 31K miles and chain was installed at 13k So it’s a DID Xring with 18k miles. I have a chain oiler so it looks in good shape. How long is such a chain to last before problems??

Bike has 31K miles and chain was installed at 13k So it’s a DID Xring with 18k miles. I have a chain oiler so it looks in good shape. How long is such a chain to last before problems??
That’s like asking how long is a piece of string? There are many variables to chain life. Weather, speed, type of lubricant, adjustment and installation of oilers, etc.. 18,000 miles is a good life in my NC experience but others report longer.

If you can isolate the click/clack noise coming from the front sprocket area, your chain probably has a kink or few kinks in it....on the inside of the front sprocket cover there is a tab which sticks out over the chain....a kink will hit the tab causing a click/clack noise (similiar to a rock inside a hubcab of the car wheel)....hear it most often at acceleration in any gear or at a constant speed...I had to change a DID xring chain at 9000 miles (probably due to my over-cleaning-current chain I only lube the chain, about 15,000 miles on it now)....

Last week I experienced this chain clacking noise on my NC, similar to what the OP described. Mine occurred at 5-15 mph, on throttle, but not coasting. It was loud; I was sure nearby pedestrians would hear it. The bike has 66,700 miles on it and the chain about 15,500 miles. I checked the chain for tight links and there are a few mild ones, but not all that bad. The chain definitely is still in spec for “stretch”, and slack was set correctly.

I wasn’t ready to give up on this chain yet. I came up with a crazy idea to turn the chain inside out and see what happens. Sort of like rotating car tires, maybe. So I go to unclip the master link and, uh-oh, there’s no clip anymore (see photo). It must have gone away somewhere in the past 2000 miles, I dunno. Well the good news was I had to press out the master link with a chain breaker tool, so even with no clip it wasn’t like the chain was going to come apart on it’s own.

I flipped the chain over and installed a new clip type master link. I inspected and cleaned under the countershaft sprocket cover. I lubed the chain well with gear oil and took a ride down the driveway and back. No more clacking. I’ll do a longer ride tomorrow and see how it works.

7058763E-42EF-4052-8A7C-F1FA8A7C501A.jpeg

Back