• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Another cheap DIY windshield extension

VE258

Reaction score
Visit site
for puig windshield. cost app. same as my previous one-6-7$. despite a bit ugly look, worked beautifully today at 80mph on highway at 55F. no wind. i can ride with completely open visor.
no tools,no drilling required to install\remove. takes probably 10-20 sec to put it on. why there is no such thing for riders on market for 30-$35- i have no idea.

af359225fe5b.jpg

1bdf58896499.jpg

That looks good! Can you point out what we're looking at so that others can reproduce this?

Dude... you need to come up with some wind deflectors like that for the legs and feet area.... Bemerphile made some for his bike so I know it can be done.

You could start a small business if you wanted to sell to the NCX forum

smileythumbsup.jpg

http://nc700-forum.com/forum/nc700-mods/4382-mra-windshield-extention.html

scroll down to my post

it was easy to made,but you must have a bunch of tools and it's a bit time consuming. for example i have to use a tap set to make the threads on that quick release clamp. actually-there is no need for 2 clamps. one should be enough
no need for a bigger size either

i used lexan,but not happy with the material itself. as expected it wasn't easy as regular plexiglass. you make the shape out of paper,then cut it on plexiglass, cut couple small pieces,bend them sort of like U shape.drill the holes in it,put some sticky rubber or whatever on each side, so it won't scratch the windshield and put everything together. the whole thing is pretty clear on the picture.
but i'm thinking about some sort of next level of it-about 15 miles away from me we have a huge wholesale commercial plastic facility. they have all those fancy CNC laser cutting machines,all sort of acrylic glass etc.
i'm planning to visit them and ask about how much it might cost me to produce something similar on small scale. like a 100 of those extenders. of course they will look much more 'professional'. that's the most time consuming part-to cut everything. maybe they will cut and i can just assemble the whole thing at home and ship to the customers. like i said-i would love to have something like this available for the riders for 30-35$ max.
preferably-universal. the products we have right now on the market are IMO ridiculously over priced. and there is not much of a variety.

my trash bin circumference was exactly as on puig screen. so i just warm the piece ,put it on the bin and hold it for 5 min, this gives me the shape

Dude... you need to come up with some wind deflectors like that for the legs and feet area.... Bemerphile made some for his bike so I know it can be done.

You could start a small business if you wanted to sell to the NCX forum

View attachment 9673

you just read my mind! i'm thinking about it, as it's gets colder and colder. i'm going to start with a small ones at he bottom. and make them bigger and wider than oem.i was thinking about 2 ways-create a shape out foam + epoxy(like that bondo stuff) and then either make the deflector out of fiberglass(i never worked with it) or using same 'baking ' technique to create the shape and make it out of plexiglass.
something like this-

Vacuum Forming A Windshield for My Heim Bell 222 - YouTube

i used lexan,but not happy with the material itself. as expected it wasn't easy as regular plexiglass.

like i said-i would love to have something like this available for the riders for 30-35$ max.
preferably-universal. the products we have right now on the market are IMO ridiculously over priced. and there is not much of a variety.

What didn't you like about the lexan/polycarbonate? The one thing I am the most afraid of with home made windshields and extenders, is if they are made out of acrylic material that is brittle and cracks or shatters. That stuff is nasty dangerous! :eek:

Totally agreed on the insane pricing and lack of availability for extender deflectors and little clamping gizmos!

imo it's bends differently than regular acrylic glass. maybe i got it under cooked or over cooked,but like i said-it bends,stretch a bit differently. this kind of expected,because the material itself is much stronger than regular acrylic.something gotta give.

working on wind deflectors,but things aren't going well so far.

in order to make a deflector either from fiberglass or using vacuum forming technique(or any other way to create something complex in shape) i need a form. i've decided to use this 'great stuff'

pACE3-1160144enh-z7.jpg
and then cut out the form itself. i've used a black version of it,since it says-it will expand more,but i'm not satisfied with the results so far.
it didn't expand 'more' than regular red (imo)
and it says-it will dry completely in 8 hours. i give it 12 before i open it. it didn't dried at all in the middle

a58656cc83b9.jpg

cd352dec795a.jpg

ce05156302b1.jpg

i guess i shouldn't be using too much of it in the first place and i probably should try to create a form of the deflector on this honda plastic part and fill with a foam only where i need it.not huge pile of it all over the place.
it's ok,if this thing didn't dry up in day or two-i will try something different.

while i was doing it all this i keep thinking about NC- the 'new concept' and honda's management variation of it. imo(i hope they are reading this)-what they doing is dumb from any perspective. they developed a great platform for the bike and now kind of ruin it. with lack of oem addons(not to mention ridiculous prices on them) .what i would do,if i want a truly new concept- i would create a platform bike and then create a HUGE array of CHEAP,great typical honda quality OEM made addons. things that would allow the customer to quickly transform the bike in many many possible ways. for example-you want sort of street naked bike-the rear break light should be sitting on big,single interchangeable connector, so you can swap the whole thing,if you not using any cargo to smaller,cleaner look, like those boys from JVM Concept or whatever the name was.you swap for example fron fender to a smaller,shorter,sportier. if you go for a really long trip-you do opposite-add longer fenders(both rear and front,some sort of clip on luggage brackets,one that would allow you to use not only honda bags,but just any common bag. create a huge a variety of different fenders,deflectors,windshields,seats and other add ons. if you (honda) can create this(and i know you can, and it should cost you very little,cause you already have everything)-such huge variety at the decent prices would ELIMINATE all after market competition. less competiotion-more money for you. i would sell 100 deflectors for 30$ for the pair ,rather than 1 pair for a 90$.like i said-the idea is to have an ability to transform the bike according to your CURRENT needs and ability to make the changes quickly,on the fly without either any tools or very simple tools,so anyone can do it.
it's really simple concept,why they choose the other way-i have no idea,but one again-it's ain't bright honda folks, it's ain't bright..

Last edited:
Ya, where do we send the money?

On a side note, I was actually thinking of getting spun up on using 3d printers to make some deflectors. Sadly I don't think I'll be able to pursue that for now.

using 3D printer would be probably very expensive option, that might require some knowledge of autocad or some other design software.

using 3D printer would be probably very expensive option, that might require some knowledge of autocad or some other design software.

which I USED to have, but given how much things have changed since the last time I've any 3d software, I don't think I have the time to relearn everything.

What about using an old helmet face shield for the lexan, anyone tried that?

All of my helmets in the last few years have had pre-curved, fairly rigid face shields, that might need a fair bit of heat and cool down at a formed bend held in place, to relax them from being under constant curved tension, I think. I don't know if this would be easy or difficult to do.

Simple enough to experiment with on an old shield though, good idea! :)

Back