• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Another plus... the bike is easy to pick up :(

DanWill

Reaction score
Visit site
So pulled into a parking lot(night time thank goodness), killed the bike, got off, was going to be gone a while so I wanted to put it on the centerstand. I stepped on the centerstand, rolled back to lift and the bike was in gear and wouldn't go onto the stand. So then I lift my right foot to switch into neutral and the bike immediately fell away from me. No chance to stop it once it started and I was on one foot.
Anyway, picked the bike up no problem.
The damage? A tiny scuff on the top black edge around the mirror, and a scuff on the bottom front of the oem bag that you can barely see. Amazing, no real damage at all!

Got that out of the way so now I can just ride!! :)

It's not like I want to, or will not try my darndest to avoid, but I just know I'm going to bin it a few times in the gravel once I start going further afield into the boonies exploring. And I'm okay with that. ;)

Am anxiously awaiting my Skidplate, Barkbuster-like guards and other assorted bits to all arrive and/or be bolted up before then though, lol.

So pulled into a parking lot(night time thank goodness), killed the bike, got off, was going to be gone a while so I wanted to put it on the centerstand. I stepped on the centerstand, rolled back to lift and the bike was in gear and wouldn't go onto the stand. So then I lift my right foot to switch into neutral and the bike immediately fell away from me. No chance to stop it once it started and I was on one foot.
Anyway, picked the bike up no problem.
The damage? A tiny scuff on the top black edge around the mirror, and a scuff on the bottom front of the oem bag that you can barely see. Amazing, no real damage at all!

Got that out of the way so now I can just ride!! :)

Do you have any kind of engine protection or something that prevented more damage? If not, I'm pretty impressed. Do you have the OEM saddlebags with the aluminum sides/covers?

There are 2 kinds of people. Those that have dropped their bike and those that are going to. It happens to everyone. Glad you got away with such little damage

I dropped mine in a busy parking lot a month or two after having neck surgery. For me, at that time, the bike was HEAVY but I did manage to get it back up on 2 wheels. I hurt like heck after that, though. Lesson learned :(

I alomost dropped mine when I thought I put my kick stand down already. Luckily the low cog saved me some embarrassment.

Did you see my pretty pictures in the members gallery? I took those in my back yard yesterday. As I was leaving my back yard, and cut my wheel hard left in a low speed turn I promptly dumped the bike. :-(

Thankfully, it was in soft grass and mud. That made it a bit harder to get back up.

When I was showing off my new baby to friends at work today, they asked 'what's that mud stain on your saddle bag and why do you have grass in your foot peg?'

I just hung my head in shame.

No damage on mine other than the ego.

Did you see my pretty pictures in the members gallery? I took those in my back yard yesterday. As I was leaving my back yard, and cut my wheel hard left in a low speed turn I promptly dumped the bike. :-(

Thankfully, it was in soft grass and mud. That made it a bit harder to get back up.

When I was showing off my new baby to friends at work today, they asked 'what's that mud stain on your saddle bag and why do you have grass in your foot peg?'

I just hung my head in shame.

No damage on mine other than the ego.

Duuuude, you missed a golden opportunity to make up some daring tale of off road shenanigans and wild adventuring, bouncing through hedges and hacking yer way through jungle foliage...

:eek: :p

Dropped mine in the front yard as I was taking it out of the garage, thankfully it was wet and soft so no damage at all. The best part was noone saw me make an idiot of myself.

I managed to drop my NCX this past Tuesday west of Arivaca AZ on a sharp downhill left-hander after entering the curve too fast. I was doing okay until I started skidding and hit the gravel shoulder. High-sided. Oops. Anyway, I never could pick up my old Buell Ulysses by myself (too top heavy), but this bike was a piece of cake, even though it's only about 4 lb. lighter than the Buell was. Gotta love that low center of gravity. I'll need a new right side top mount for my Honda saddlebag, though, and some general clean up and misc. repairs/sanding/bending before I go out on it again. That'll give the bruises and scrapes time to heal, too. I do need a new helmet though. Fortunately I have a spare full face HJC that I haven't used in a while.

Like I said: Oops. I'll have to work on how I take left handers some more, I see. I used to try to practice some most days. They've always kind of thrown my perception off, although right-handers have always seemed easy. Strange...:confused:

PS. Rode it home, though.

I've droped 2 of my bikes in the most idiotic way.
1st was my thundercat. my wife was on the bike did a 'U' turn got a little excited with the brake's going at snail pace .
yep topple over ..just a little crack in the fairing where the indicator fitted and that is when I found out how heavy the bike is
eek.gif

did exactly the same thing on my ER6F last year and in front of a group of old pensioners on tour no damage accept my ego
superfacepalm.gif
and I was busting to go to the toilet that's why I did a 'U' turn.
one must say to one self no 'U' turn in future
nono.gif

Thanks for all the "I did too's", now I don't feel quite as bad!! Yes terribly embarrassing to drop the bike even when there is nobody to see you do it. I only have the honda light bar and the OEM bags, nothing else for crash protection installed yet. I have a skid plate, but was sent one wrong mount for it, so waiting for that now.

I had a VTX for seven years and never dropped it, but I did come home one day from work to find it fallen over in the driveway, I suspect the wind caught the cover just right and over it went. That was fun to pick up against the slope of the driveway!! Nice to have a lighter bike now!! NOT that I'm planning to EVER pick it up again! :) (famous last words)

I saw this video a while back and put the info in my toolbox should I ever need it.

[video=youtube;pPjYweKeiLk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=pPjYweKeiLk[/video]

I saw this video a while back and put the info in my toolbox should I ever need it.

[video=youtube;pPjYweKeiLk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=pPjYweKeiLk[/video]

If you can't pick up your bike, it is probably not the right bike (too heavy) for you and you should not ride it alone.

If you can't pick up your bike, it is probably not the right bike (too heavy) for you and you should not ride it alone.
I don't know that I entirely agree with that.
A bike is heavy. Even a light bike is heavy. The muscles used to pick it up are not the same muscles we typically use day in and day out.
Even with a low COG and a good leverage, you're still dead lifting about 100-130lbs worth of bike. That can be tough. Especially when, most people try to lift it with the handlebars.

The video here is a good example of how to lift it, but honestly, if you've never really practiced a crouching dead lift like this, you would be surprised how difficult it is.

Getting my bike back up out of the grass the other day was hard. Granted, I did it the stupid way because my shame (not my common sense) took over. But it was still hard.

I'm not a wimp by any means either. I mean, I'm not Schwarzenegger, but I'm not tiny either. I don't think I'd want to imagine lifting up a R1200RT. But then again, I'd really hate dropping one too! :-O

Back