• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Another tire: Help me not make a bad decision thread

ColoradoChris

Reaction score
Visit site
I really don't like my street tires anywhere but the street (go figure) and want to do more forest service/ gravel roads.
My recent experience on jeep trails reminds me that while I "could" "make" it do it, the NC700X is not a dirt bike.

So first question: Front tire size? I am leaning toward the 130/80-17 to give me a little larger diameter in front, increase the ride height slightly and thus give me more rake. I realize this will slow down the steering, but shouldn't it also give me a little more stability at speed on the highway and gravel as well? The reading I have done suggests I will have to raise the fender. Does the fender brace raise with the common mod? If not, why do I raise the fender? If so, does it loose any of it's "fork brace" capability?

Follow on question: Will the 1.6" (6.8%) larger front tire paired with a stock or only slightly (.7" 2.8%) rear cause any issues with the ABS since it will be seeing the tires rotate at different speeds than it is expecting?

Second question: I am about 75% on road, 24% gravel/ forrest service and 1% where an NC shouldn't be. Given that, how aggressive should I really go on the tread?

My current considerations are listed below, in least to most aggressive (at least I think so). I am planning as trip to Costa Rica next year so I will have some miles loaded with probably more than I need to take so weight rating has a least a small factor in the decision. As far as speed rating, the one stock sized TCK80 is the only one I "might" get close to on long straight stretches of slab, and then only when passing. Price is not a major consideration, although I am not made of money, so two otherwise equal tires would indeed use cost as the tie-breaker.
If you are still reading and have ridden any of these tires, especially on a NC I would like to get your feedback.

TCK70 stock sizes
Front 120/70ZR17 58W
Front 130/80-17 65T
Rear 160/60ZR17 69W
Rear 170/60ZR17 72V

K76
Front 130/80-17 65H
Rear 150/70-17 69H

K60s
Front 130/80-17 65T
Rear 150/70-17 69T +.7"
Rear 170/60-17 72T +.4"

Shinko 705 a
Front 120/70-17 58H
Rear 170/60-17 72H +.4" 150/70 is +/ .7" and 69h

Shinko 705 b
Front: 130/80-17 65H +1.6"
Rear 170/60-17 72H

TKC80/K60 scout
Front 120/70-17 58Q
Front 130/80-17 65 (S and T available)
Rear 170/60-17 72T +.4"

Loads:
58 - 520 lbs
65 - 630 lbs
69 - 716 lbs
72 - 783 lbs

Speeds:
H - 130 mph
Q - 99 mph
S - 112 mph
T - 118 mph
V - 149 mph
W - 168 mph

Attachments

• Tires.jpg
    Tires.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 364
Last edited:
Hey C-Chris, I like the Shinko 705's... they've got my eye for my next set as i'd like to do some more off road, forest service trail riding. Nothing that i'd ever need a knobby tire for, but the Shinko 705's look like the ticket for that kind of riding you're talking about! Just my $.02 worth. :{)

The only one of these I have any experience with is Shinko 705. I used stock front size and 150/70 rear. I think the tires work fine on the pavement and good on gravel roads. They aren’t much good in mud as they pack up with mud and become slicks. The only negatives on pavement is a little instability on tar snakes, and some increased noise. They stick well on pavement cornering. The price can’t be beat.

I cant answer on tires sizes vs ABS faults since I have no ABS. A speed coreection device fixes any speedometer error due to the 150/70 rear.

Be aware that going oversize on the front may result in a need to raise the front fender.

I have have come to the realization that it’s futile to try to make much of a dirt bike out of a street bike.

I used to say that I bought tires not for where I want to go, but for where I end up. This sounded like a good strategy until I realized that I always ended up in places I shouldn't be riding on those tires (no matter what they were). The point of this is that there is a slippery slope when it comes to buying more aggressive tires that you should keep in mind.

Thanks for the feedback. I was aware I would probably have to raise the front fender with the larger size front, I just haven't pulled it off yet to see how the brace thingy works.

I am slowly figuring out what the bike is capable of without pushing it too far. I attempted a jeep trail that was marked "easy" in the trails book. I'm sure the rain pushed it past easy. I am NOT going to be doing those, especially since I usually ride alone. I do want to do more gravel etc and would appreciate a little more composed ride at slightly higher speeds. I don't want the scenery rushing by and me not seeing it, but I also want to be able to cover a little bit more ground in the times I have alloted without continually fighting the street tires on the loose gravel.

I hear you about the slippery slope. Here is a picture of it, from my jeep trail ride. It was my turnaround point.

Attachments

• Turnaround.jpg
    Turnaround.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 313
I'm also looking for some slightly off pavement tires for my NC700X.

I also have an Africa Twin. Recently, I replaced the stock Dunlop Trailmax tires with a Shinko 804 front and TKC80 rear for an off pavement trip I had this past weekend.

I only chose that combination because that's what the local dealer had in stock in my size, but it ended up being a good combo. I've heard the Shinko 805 doesn't handle mud as well as the TKC80, but the Shinko 805 rear tire lasts much longer supposedly.

I did this thinking I would lose a lot of on pavement performance, but I found that I did not. The 804/TKC80 combo gave me about 90% of what I got on the pavement with the stock tires, but an incredible improvement off pavement. I went through sand, clay, mud, gravel, dirt, deep water crossings with no problem on the Africa Twin using those tires last weekend. I would have fallen multiple times on the stock tires on the same route, I'm sure of it.

I don't want to go as aggressive as the "8" series tires on my NC700X though as it will be more of a street machine with some gravel roads kinda deal for me. But if you can get the tires I mentioned above for the NC700X, I bet they would make a big difference on that road in the pic above.

I was thinking maybe TKC70's for my NC700X if they have those for it.

I've also have been running Shinko 705's since I replaced my stock dunlops at 5100 miles. I am now over 19,000 miles and the Shinko 705's have gotten me to California from Illinois and down to the Tail of the Dragon (though I would recommend street tires and not being fully loaded down for the Tail lol).

I am still running the same front Shinko Tire that I replaced at 5100 miles, so that's around 14k miles out of the front. I had to replace the rear Shinko at 13,200 miles, making its lifespan around 8k miles. Replaced the rear with another Shinko 705.

Front Tire Size: 120/70-17r
Rear Tire Size: 150/70-17r

I am looking to replace both tires soon, even though the front tire still has a lot of tread left at 14k miles. I hate to go away from the Shinko 705's as they are great value for the money and have done everything I have asked them to do, but I am interested in the TKC70. I want a little more traction for the streets, both wet pavement and dry, but still be able to hit gravel/forest roads for the adventure trips. The rear 150/70-17r TKC70 is around $128 (Link) as opposed to the 160/60-17r for around $174 (Link). $128 doesn't seem too bad if that rear tire would work.

Looking for someone's input on the TKC70s over the Shinko 705s.

I'm still scratching my head on sizes. I "think" I want the 130/80 size on the front, but those all appear to be "rear" tire profiles. Without opening the whole "dark side" debate, I have two questions:
1) has anyone run that size on the front, and how much did it appear to YOU that it affected handling?
2) does anyone have pictures of a 130/80 mounted on a NC700x front wheel? I would like to "see" how flat or domed it is.

Thanks.

If you had any thoughts about putting a rear tire on the front, be sure you understand about tire tread splices and rotation direction. I don’t know a whole lot about about it (except that I wouldn’t do it), but in order to have the tread splice going the right direction for strength and reliability, you may have the tread pattern going the wrong way for water dispersal.

Last edited:
I've read a bit about Shinko 705's having some traction and wobbly issues on pavement at higher speeds. Not sure if its bike/wheel size specific or not.

My 804 front has a slight wiggle at 75+ mph. I'm seen many reports the 705's are the same. Anyone experience that?

So, good bad or indifferent, I ordered tires and they got here today.

Shinko 244 in 4.60x17 62P for the front (the tire will turn but doesn't have enough clearance so a fender mod is forthcoming)
and a
Mitas E07+ in 170/60B17 72T TL for the rear.

Mounted the front today, will do the fender mod and mount the rear tomorrow.

ShipmentArrived.jpg

SideBySide.jpg

Clearance.jpg

Bike looks good with the new shoes!
How does it ride?

I'm considering more aggressive tires than stock, maybe the 705s.

JT

Bike looks good with the new shoes!
How does it ride?

I'm considering more aggressive tires than stock, maybe the 705s.

JT

I did about 500 miles last weekend about 100 of it gravel and 2 or three in deep sand. The tires were great. The front is just a tad louder but not bothersome. You can feel the knobs under about 5 mph and it is a little harder to turn in but that's just different not bad. I didn't push them hard on the pavement but did do some decent mountain roads with no issue. Gas mileage with the new tires and all the boxes on is still around 68-70 mpg. Not out of what I consider normal range but I want to do a ride without bags on to see if I can get back to the mid 70s.

Back