• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

another tire thread...thinking of switching from street to dual sport

drdubb

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Currently on my third set of PR 4's

Would like to run many of the fire roads at this years KSL, so thinking about doing some dual sport tires.

The TKC 80 / MItas e07 or Shinko 805 seems popular.

I get a new rear tire each season and front every other year. Usually do 5-6k miles each year. So, If I don't like them, I only have to do one season. Most of my riding is 150 mile local jaunts, occasional gravel roads. Really getting these for KSL.

Any thoughts?

This is my thought, take it for only my 2 cents and I'm not even charging for that. I ride pavement 99% of the time. For the 1% I'm off pavement I can manage on street tires. For me it makes no sense to compromise handling and traction 99% of the time in exchange for 1%.

I rode dirt bikes for years when I started out riding. The NC isn't a dirt bike by any stretch of the imagination. However it can easily manage gravel roads and soft terrain that is reasonably hard packed on 100% or 90/10 tires.

I tend to agree with dduelin. There is always the option to drop a few psi from the tyres if venturing offroad. Most bikes will cope reasonably well on fire roads on road tyres except in muddy conditions.

While there’s only gut feel as proof, I have felt more confident on primitive roads on Shinko 705s, which I guess are 80-20 tires, than on street tires. At the same time, they feel good with my street riding as well, although I'm not a peg dragging street rider.

I got into some hilly rough stuff last fall with rocks jutting out and drop off shelves of rock slabs, and I stayed upright on the Shinkos. On a lightweight true dirt bike it would have been no challenge, but on a 500 pound street bike, a bit of off road bias with the tires was welcome.

I’m thinking of staying with the Shinko 705 full time on the NC, but I’ll wear a set out first and see how it goes. As a minor plus, they look a little more badass on the NC than street tread. Reviews for the 705 are generally quite good, and so far I’d recommend them, too. I’ll have them on at KSL.

E9EC5672-9BEC-4B33-BA05-9637CC0EE6B2.jpg

Last edited:
I used Shinko 705's on my DR650. They worked fine on gravel.and street. I did crash once in deep sand. Nothing is really good in mud.

This is quite relevant for me. I will be riding mine out to Edmonton in the spring and then be ready to change tires for a run up north to tuktoyutuk. Just starting the process of determining what tires to put on in Edmonton. I do not have any off road experience so this is all new to me

Back