• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Another windshield question

Yes i'm not. Previous experience were all on scooters, with no issues, but the speed were lower. It's the first time i get up to highway speed, i was expecting air yes but not constant turbulence, more like an uniform pressure.

Pretty sure: View attachment 51383
it's the D1111ST, the correct model for my '14 NC.
The rod in the middle it's clearly an addition and not a stock part. I've looked at it more today and it doesn't look parallel to the handlebar and the dash, so i'm guessing my theory of it bending the screen is possibile.
Also, if i turn the bike full lock to the left, the brake reservoir rubs on the screen (i guess it shouldn't?)

I'm 173 (5,7) so not exactly a giant, and with this screen my torso is covered but the air hits the helmet. No dirty air, just noise (I've just bought earplugs to try and reduce it). All the dirt air is on my shoulder and on my arms.

Tried that briefly, but i can't work out where it came from (i dont feel that safe yet one hand driving at 100kph+, it's still my first bike and i've done less than 500km on it). This is the cockpit and the handguards if anyone has ideas or suggestions:

View attachment 51384View attachment 51385
In the early days of the NC, the D1111ST was one of the first aftermarket screens that came available, but it never was very popular. If the D1111ST isn’t working for you, you could cut it down shorter to get the wind blast well below your helmet, or add an adjustable deflector like an MRA X-creen on top in attempt to put the air over the helmet, or just start over with a different windscreen compatible with the ‘12-‘15 NC models. Do not be tempted to go with the Honda OEM touring screen as it is similar to the Givi in regards to height and buffeting.

I'd also add to the mix of infinite variables affecting how well a screen works for any given rider -- the nature of mounting a GPS on a bar behind the screen. Some screens manage air flow (and keeping it laminar instead of turbulent) by putting a cutout at the bottom of the screen to allow wind to flow up and behind the screen, reducing back pressure and creating smooth flow over the top.

If you mount a GPS behind that screen, you can create turbulence that ruins the designed smooth airflow and then generates turbulent wind at your neck and head. It happened to me on my prior CalSci screen and could not figure out what was going on until I saw a YouTube video of an Aussie rider who tested it.

I have a MadStad now (which I love) but have not tried mounting my Garmin XL behind the screen yet.

So many variables!

Some things you could try..

stand up on the pegs a bit and see if that changes anything (if it's better you know you need a shorter shield)

put a pillow or rolled up towel on your seat and ride with that and see how that feels (same as standing on the pegs a bit)

Scrunch down a couple inches (if better you know you need a taller shield)

remove your current shield (4 screws) and try riding without it to see how that feels. (again if better you need a shorter shield)

Some things you could try..

stand up on the pegs a bit and see if that changes anything (if it's better you know you need a shorter shield)

put a pillow or rolled up towel on your seat and ride with that and see how that feels (same as standing on the pegs a bit)

Scrunch down a couple inches (if better you know you need a taller shield)

remove your current shield (4 screws) and try riding without it to see how that feels. (again if better you need a shorter shield)

Thanks for the advice. I removed the screen and holy cow how much air pressure there is.
After removing it i found out it was on the lower position, i raised and it felt better. Still lots of air on the helmet but i don't find it annoyng but much less turbulence on the arms. Will do more testing the next sunny weekend removing armguards.

ST1300 electrically controlled shield is relatively small but very effective in keeping wind off the helmet.
The rake changes to a more upright position as the shield is raised (with road speed).
I even changed shields with different (my fabricated spacer) rake settings but in the end, went back to the OEM shield.

Honda builds their own in-house aircraft ( to include the power plants) so you know they do wind tunnel testing on prototype design.

So far I’m liking the stock windshield on the lowest position, much less turbulence than with the deflector. A little more force on my chest, but overall more enjoyable.
The primary function of even the smallest shield is to keep wind off the chest. No shield puts ALL the force on the chest.
National Cycle Deflector Screen has been around forever. I've ran about 5 or 6 over the years. With the Quik-Set mount, (the original is bolt/nut design) a perfect starter shield on a bare bike.

ST1300 electrically controlled shield is relatively small but very effective in keeping wind off the helmet.
The rake changes to a more upright position as the shield is raised (with road speed).
I even changed shields with different (my fabricated spacer) rake settings but in the end, went back to the OEM shield.

Honda builds their own in-house aircraft ( to include the power plants) so you know they do wind tunnel testing on prototype design.
Simply because Honda builds in-house aircraft does not assure me that their powersports division does wind tunnel testing on motorcycle prototypes. I don’t see the connection.

Simply because Honda builds in-house aircraft does not assure me that their powersports division does wind tunnel testing on motorcycle prototypes. I don’t see the connection.
With AI physical wind tunnel testing is obsolete.
Nascar in the 90s' would rent the Lockheed wind tunnel in Marietta, GA.
Tech has evolved where there is software development for every app imaginable.

The world is heading to digital currency and ALL is 'connected'. Blue Skies Green Lights.

Last edited:
Back