• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Any riders heading to Twisted Throttle's Open House on Sat, May 24th?

ld_rider

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Exeter, Rhode Island..

I registered for Twisted Throttle's May open house on Saturday, May 24th. Will be riding down from Maine and hope to take a peek at their tricked out NC700x and talk to the Givi reps regarding the ship date of the new 55 liter Trekker Outback top case...Looks like Twisted Throttle is offering 10 percent off for any purchases on Saturday...I have a hunch this trip will cost me more than just gas/toll money....

Oh, and there is free food ;-)

More here: Motorcycle Luggage, Motorcycle Protection, Handguards & Accessories - TwistedThrottle.com

Anyone else planning heading over there?

Last edited:
I'll be here! Look forward to it. We just added a Trials demonstration to the agenda. They will be popin' round a jungle gym they built and a car we got them to beat up. They are performing three times during the event. Register Here

This is an overview of what to expect:

[video=youtube_share;TI5-QKtD-Oo]http://youtu.be/TI5-QKtD-Oo[/video]

Hope Y'all can make it!

Kevin

Exeter, Rhode Island..

I registered for Twisted Throttle's May open house on Saturday, May 24th. Will be riding down from Maine and hope to take a peek at their tricked out NC700x and talk to the Givi reps regarding the ship date of the new 55 liter Trekker Outback top case...Looks like Twisted Throttle is offering 10 percent off for any purchases on Saturday...I have a hunch this trip will cost me more than just gas/toll money....

Oh, and there is free food ;-)

More here: Motorcycle Luggage, Motorcycle Protection, Handguards & Accessories - TwistedThrottle.com

Anyone else planning heading over there?

Say hi to Kevin from the rest of the gang here at the forum :)

Arrived back in Maine safe and sound after an afternoon spent at Twisted Throttle's open house in Exeter, Rhode Island...This Maine hick was blown away by the festivities they put on. I actually thought when I rolled in that I would see a couple of bikes in the parking lot and spend a half hour looking around in their parts showroom and then scoot back up to Maine....Yeah, sure... <huge eye roll>.

When I left this morning from Maine it was rainy, damp, cold and cloudy...pretty much how it has been for the entire Spring. I have 1,500 miles on my new bike, all of it commuting 60 miles or so back and forth each day to work during the week. This would be my first semi-long day ride (340 miles).

No GPS is mounted (still deciding) so I wrote down the directions and put them in a clear, nifty velcro pouch that attaches to my Aerostich riding pants. The seating position on the NC is way, WAY different from the GL1800 I'm used to.. The directions were back there...someplace on my thigh.....Ended up being pretty much useless since I would have to pull over to actually read them. Kinda defeats the whole purpose of sticking them on your pants in the first place.

Rode down I-95 south through New Hampshire (Live Free or Die, how cool is that motto! ) into Massachusetts and right around Boston I came up on an ADV rider piloting a BMW. Given the time of day I thought he might be heading to the same place so I kept him in sight till he got off of I-95 at exit 5A in Exeter, RI. Once off of the Interstate I fell in behind a Moto Guzzi and a black Wee-Strom. I figured someone in the group must have a GPS with real directions so I just followed like a lost puppy...It worked.

Twisted Throttle had spotters w/flags on the road so that even riders that were directionally challenged (me) could find the place. They directed us over to what I think was an overflow lot, it was level and grassy...No problems pulling in and parking. Twisted Throttle even had spotters to help you push your bike backwards (lots of tall ADV type bikes showed up) and side stand plates were handed out so your bike wouldn't sink into the grass. This obviously was all VERY well thought out and I'm sure all the riders appreciated it...Here is a shout out to the guys on parking detail...Thanks a bunch!!!!

Here is Black Betty grazing with some of the other early arrivals:

IMG_5691-L.jpg

One day I'll actually ride 1,500 miles/24 hours on this bike :) If this trial run is any indication (it was) I really, REALLY need a Russell Day Long Saddle...My @ss was numb after about a quarter tank :-(

IMG_5693-L.jpg

A few other bikes parked in the same grassy area:
IMG_5692-L.jpg

One of things that I really like about bike events is wandering around the parking lot and checking out all the different rides... There were all kinds/types of bikes at the open house and I snapped a pic of a few....there were many, many more that caught my eye besides these...Lots of cool bikes ....think free bike show and you would be close. Check out the front tire on this beast:

IMG_5695-L.jpg

Nice looking V-Strom (1,000 cc) was parked on the grass with a for sale sign on it....Owner was looking for $4,300..seemed like a decent deal.

IMG_5706-L.jpg

This is Paul Pelland's long distance mount. Paul gave a talk in the classroom about packing important stuff in your saddlebags...Paul is an Iron Butt Rally finisher that suffers from MS and rides for a cure....Did I mention that he finished the Iron Butt Rally? 11,000 miles/11 days....Yikes!

IMG_5700-L.jpg

This is what Iron Butt Rally bike command central might look like from the pilots seat...Again, this is Paul's bike..
Lots of stuff going on here: Dual GPS, SPOT satellite tracking, Smart Phone holder, etc, etc..

IMG_5701-L.jpg

You can read more about Paul Pelland's rides and what he is up to here: http://www.longhaulpaul.com/

I saw a couple of NC700's in the area...this is a 300 mile virgin ridden by a re-entry rider that so far, is very happy with his choice..

IMG_5702-L.jpg

We chatted a bit and like me, he didn't really think much of the front storage at first (little impact on buy decision) but soon started appreciating the utility of the built-in 'frunk'. He also mentioned that the price was right, and if the bike turned out to be the wrong one (since he is re-entry rider) the financial hit wouldn't be too severe if he ended up selling. I think that is true for a lot of us. Nobody is going to lose $5K selling a NC700x :)

This black NC had a lot of Twisted Throttle stuff on it, I'm guessing it was an employee bike? Was parked right in front, so either they work there or arrived at the open house very early!

IMG_5697-L.jpg

IMG_5698-L.jpg

There was much more to the open house than just checking out the rides in the parking lot. There were vendor tents setup all along the outside...I spoke to the Givi guy in regards to a matching top case for the new Givi Trekker Outbacks...says the 52 liter is in production now and should be in country by August...woot!

Watched a trials demo and quickly realized I know absolutely nothing about controlling a motorcycle at slow speeds...These dudes were on specialized, two-stroke lightweight bikes (150 lbs, wet) and were riding over chit that I wouldn't attempt to climb over on all fours....yeah, they were impressive..

Most impressive to me was the cat on the dual sport BMW that absolutely freaked me out with his skills... I almost was going to spell that with a 'z' but this guy needs no superfluous b.s...he was scary good...Best was when he headed right at you and then locked the front brake. That would bring the rear end up...vertical...(!) and you would be looking at the top view of bagger BMW dual sport...except it would be heading toward you on the front wheel....Oh yeah, the wheelies that scraped the top case on the pavement were pretty impressive too!

I'm not going to talk about what he did with gawd's own hammer (BMW S1000RR) 'cause frankly, I had to leave after a few minutes thinking I was going to see lots of carnage....My palms were actually sweating... Yes, he was...That Good.

Twisted Throttle had an area setup with clearance items...I came <this close> to snagging a set of aluminum 47 liter Givi Trekker Outbacks that were a minor scratch and dent item....Only problem was I had my 37 liter cases mounted and would have no way to get them back to Maine. Maybe I'll take a ride back up there naked and see what kind of deal I can work out....

All in all it was a really great afternoon... Lots of bikes to look at..Lots of farkles to think/dream about... some amazing riding demos, good food...yeah, I'll be back...

Epilogue:

Ran at typical New England I-95 speeds and averaged 60+ MPG.
Absolutely love the National Cycle tall (22 inch) screen
Go Cruise worked great...not as slick (obviously) as electronic CC but was welcomed and gave my throttle wrist a break
I need a way to stretch my legs a bit. Maybe engine guards w/highway pegs?
Coolest thing I saw in their showroom? Hand guards w/built in LED running lights/turn signals. Very tasty!

Soooo what did I actually buy?

A 5 dollar cigar!!

P.S. Thanks for the support you give Paul..It doesn't go unnoticed .....

Last edited:
Nice write up! Since I'm a good couple thousand miles from the show, it makes me want to be there all the more!
Seems I always want to be where I'm not -lol!

Nice write up,sounds like they go all out.wish they had a place in my area.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Back