• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Anybody Buy a Bike Through Costco?

kpinvt

Site Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Does anyone have any experience buying a bike through Costco? I used the Costco Auto Buying program in 2002 to knock the price down by $2500 on a new Subaru Impreza we bought locally for my wife. I got a faxed quote from a Costco Subaru dealer in Massachusetts. There are no Costco affiliated dealers selling motorcycles anywhere near Vermont. I found one in Brooklyn, NY that is close to my mother's house. I'm calling them tomorrow morning. Wish me luck.

Saw a Yamaha Bolt at the Costco in Ottawa the other week. And a Mustang also. I'm all for one-stop shopping, but I think that's taking it a little too far.

I know a guy who bought a car...saved $5,000 on that deal. Pretty sure you still get it from the dealer, they just sponsor a "members only" deal.

Jeremy "Doc" G
Using Tapatalk on one of my Apple devices...it's cool, I know I have a problem.

I bought a Kawasaki KLR650 using My Costco card.
Received a price of dealer cost plus a dollar amount. It was worthwhile.
Give it a try, nothing to lose except some time.

So, when you need a tire fixed on your bike, Costco will handle that for you. When you need it serviced, Costco will do that for you. This is a hobby or sport or both. I buy my appliances local for the service and product knowledge. The same is true with motorcycles. The motorcycle industry is in a huge slump and dealers are disappearing at an alarming rate. You don't like your local dealer? Go to the next town and find one. Many dealers are family owned and many are enthusiasts just like you and me and can relate to your needs. Will you pay more than at Costco? I'm sure you will but dealers can't sell you a 24 pack of toilet paper to make a buck on you. Realize it or not, we need the dealer network. I'm going to one tomorrow to get details on a local race sunday. I don't think anyone at Costco would know anything about it.

You do not buy from Costco

So, when you need a tire fixed on your bike, Costco will handle that for you. When you need it serviced, Costco will do that for you. This is a hobby or sport or both. I buy my appliances local for the service and product knowledge. The same is true with motorcycles. The motorcycle industry is in a huge slump and dealers are disappearing at an alarming rate. You don't like your local dealer? Go to the next town and find one. Many dealers are family owned and many are enthusiasts just like you and me and can relate to your needs. Will you pay more than at Costco? I'm sure you will but dealers can't sell you a 24 pack of toilet paper to make a buck on you. Realize it or not, we need the dealer network. I'm going to one tomorrow to get details on a local race sunday. I don't think anyone at Costco would know anything about it.
To fix the tire on your bike you go to the dealer where you made the purchase. Costco does not sell you the bike or set the price, the motorcycle dealer does the pricing, selling and the fixing. The dealer has an exclusive contract with Costco for sales in a defined geographical area. Costco is just offering a seller/buyer connection for its members. It's all about economics.
And who doesn't like to get a great deal on a purchase? No dealer is forced to sign an exclusive agreement with Costco. Since dealers are signing up the arrangement must be working for the dealers?

I'll take your word for it that that's how it works, but I don't get it. So you don't pick who or where you're buying it from, it's all about the price. So what would it possibly benefit Costco other than they got to be making a buck off of you too. Sorry, I just can't picture myself walking into Costco to buy a bike no matter how they do it. I'm obviously anti big establishment. Big brother, box stores and the like. I picture the day when everything you buy will show up at your door step via UPS and everything will be throw-away product. We're pretty much there already, sad but true. Don't get me started on the internet buying thing! I'll lose that argument too but I'll put up a good fight!

I'll take your word for it that that's how it works, but I don't get it. So you don't pick who or where you're buying it from, it's all about the price. So what would it possibly benefit Costco other than they got to be making a buck off of you too. Sorry, I just can't picture myself walking into Costco to buy a bike no matter how they do it. I'm obviously anti big establishment. Big brother, box stores and the like. I picture the day when everything you buy will show up at your door step via UPS and everything will be throw-away product. We're pretty much there already, sad but true. Don't get me started on the internet buying thing! I'll lose that argument too but I'll put up a good fight!

Good point. How can it possibly be cheaper if Costco is just a middle man making a buck? The Dealer makes their buck, and then Costco also gets some of your money?

am not sure how it works either, but i fill out the form at the costco website. i will let you guys know how much.

am looking for 2014 NC DCT. we will see how much in the saving.

As a Brit, I thought that this thread was a joke, I though Costco was our equivilant of....

HPIM0408.jpg

Good points.

To fix the tire on your bike you go to the dealer where you made the purchase. Costco does not sell you the bike or set the price, the motorcycle dealer does the pricing, selling and the fixing. The dealer has an exclusive contract with Costco for sales in a defined geographical area. Costco is just offering a seller/buyer connection for its members. It's all about economics.
And who doesn't like to get a great deal on a purchase? No dealer is forced to sign an exclusive agreement with Costco. Since dealers are signing up the arrangement must be working for the dealers?

I used the Costco Auto Buying program in 2002 to knock the price down by $2500 on a new Subaru Impreza for my wife. There were no Costco affiliated dealers selling the car in Vermont so I changed my ZIP code from Montpelier, VT to Brattleboro, VT near the border with Massachusetts. The name of a dealer in MA outside of Boston came up so I gave him a call. The salesman and I talked for a while. I learned that he got paid a fee of $100 by Costco whether he sold me the car or not. We talked about options available and settled on a car. He faxed me an official listing of all of the options and purchase price of the car. He said he would deliver the car for $100. I went to our local dealer and asked for the price of a car with the identical list of options and he came back with a price that was close to $3000 over the one I got from the dealer in MA. I produced the fax from the MA dealer and after a consultation with his sales manager agreed to the same price plus $200. He also threatened that if I bought the car from MA and had the car in for warranty work or some other repair and one of his local customers needed work done on their car he would take my car off of the lift to service the local buyers car first. I almost walked out but my wife really needed/wanted the car and wanted to buy it locally so I agreed to the deal.

Pismocycleguy (post#8) has it right. I bought a 2010 Vulcan with the Costco deal. My dealer actually asked me if I was a Costco member and told me about the plan.i just filled out the necessary paper work and got a great deal. The dealer was happy to get the sale.

It's all assuming that a big company can make a better deal than you can with the dealer. I've bought one new cage in my life. It was not an experience I liked. I don't like the haggling.
When I bought my cage (1992 Ranger) it was $9,900. That's just the rebate on some cars and trucks now-a-days. I could see having someone else to do the "deal" in that case.

You really have to do your homework to not be taken these days.

I used the Costco Auto Buying program in 2002 to knock the price down by $2500 on a new Subaru Impreza for my wife. There were no Costco affiliated dealers selling the car in Vermont so I changed my ZIP code from Montpelier, VT to Brattleboro, VT near the border with Massachusetts. The name of a dealer in MA outside of Boston came up so I gave him a call. The salesman and I talked for a while. I learned that he got paid a fee of $100 by Costco whether he sold me the car or not. We talked about options available and settled on a car. He faxed me an official listing of all of the options and purchase price of the car. He said he would deliver the car for $100. I went to our local dealer and asked for the price of a car with the identical list of options and he came back with a price that was close to $3000 over the one I got from the dealer in MA. I produced the fax from the MA dealer and after a consultation with his sales manager agreed to the same price plus $200. He also threatened that if I bought the car from MA and had the car in for warranty work or some other repair and one of his local customers needed work done on their car he would take my car off of the lift to service the local buyers car first. I almost walked out but my wife really needed/wanted the car and wanted to buy it locally so I agreed to the deal.

Sad - NO loyalty to your first contact, who offered a great deal. Let me get this straight. You then you try the local dealer, who attempts to rail you by nearly $3000 - but then comes down "after" you show him the better deal. Then they give you the shop preferential treatment lecture (which is B.S. - I've worked in Dealership shops for years) to strong arm you? After all is said and done, you give them the business (after they almost price matched only to save a sale). I feel for your first contact in MA - sounds like he was willing to go above and beyond.

They sell vehicles. I did not know that. We have SAM's Club here and I just checked there website. Sure enough they have a vehicle purchase program. Never would have though.

The Art of the Deal

Ironbutt and you other doubters,
You do not buy from Costco! You do not go into Costco! You DO go to the motorcycle dealer. The only way Costco is involved is that you need a Costco membership card. Got It!
I purchase one or two new vehicles every year. I enjoy haggling with dealers! Sometimes I am able to find a better deal than Costco affiliated dealers will offer. But overall my experience is that the affiliated dealers will initially offer you a better deal than most buyers will find elsewhere. If you hate haggling this may be your best option.:(
If cost is no object and you have excess money in your bank account, then search out a dealer you like and appreciate and unload some of your excess cash at his shop. But don't criticize individuals who like to save money and know how, when and where to shop and get a GREAT deal! Loyalty to and from a dealer is a two way street. The dealer should be loyal to his customers also.
But personally I like the chase for the BEST deal, no matter where it leads me. Haggling is an art and a skill set. The more you practice this skill the better you become at making deals.:cool:
It works for me!

Back