• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Anyone care to talk about boots?

I own a pair of Oxtar, now known as TCX, Matrix boots that I have owned since about 2004 or 5 when I bought them for $108 on closeout from motorcyclegear.com They have never leaked. I still wear them almost every time I ride. These are the same I think as the ones in your original post. They're quite a bit cheaper from this outlet in Italy: Tcx X-five Evo Goretex(R) Black | MotoStorm

I dont know your definition of innexpensive, but I just bought a pair of Forma Dual Sport boots (short) and while I havent road tested them yet, everyone I know who has them have nothing but praise for them. I am sitting here on my couch, wearing them (hate breaking in boots of any kind, so doing it now rather than while riding) If you search the net you can get them below $200. I have huge calves, so full sized boots are not possible. These look great and feel good, even just sitting here in the house. These are replacing some Bilt Pro Tourer Waterproof boots that were supposed to have been waterproof, but failed miserably the times I got caught in downpours.

ADVENTURE LOW
– Black

ADVENTURE LOW
– Brown

I cannot recommend any hiking boot for the simple fact there is no support on the ankle, especially if you lay the bike down and it is sitting on your foot... Just go out and lay the bike on your foot, you'll know.

I've got the Forma Adventure Low in brown and they're the real deal. I ride rain or shine, hot or cold and they have been great. Easy on/off with a 3 buckle closure means I'm not fighting with a zipper that my break and it is a 30 second job to put them on. Protection is there and while they did take a little while to break in, they're now comfortable to walk around all day in! Check them out if you haven't bought something already.

I've got the Forma Adventure Low in brown and they're the real deal. I ride rain or shine, hot or cold and they have been great. Easy on/off with a 3 buckle closure means I'm not fighting with a zipper that my break and it is a 30 second job to put them on. Protection is there and while they did take a little while to break in, they're now comfortable to walk around all day in! Check them out if you haven't bought something already.

Oh yeah, I got them, wore them around the house for about a week after work to help break them in while the weather didnt allow for rides. Since then, I have ridden a few days for a few hours each and the Formas are awesome. Very secure feeling when stopped, no slipping at the traffic lights. And I love how they fit the pegs, not slipping there, either. The more I wear them, the better they feel. Still havent been in the rain with them yet, but that will happen. I got the low black pair. I agree on the buckles, much better than zippers or laces.

I have found that good quality riding boots, like my Sidi Fusion Air boots, just don't work for walking around. Even with a Dr. Schol's pad in them I wouldn't dare try to wear these to any place other than the grocery store for some light shopping.
I once had a pair of their short boots that I wore to a concert where it was standing only and had to leave early.
I've found it's best to just get the riding boots with the most protection and then just pack some slide-on loafers for off the bike.
I don't think hiking boots are going to provide the protection a rider needs.

I did recently get some Side lace-up hightops that are cool looking and comfortable enough to wear to concerts, drag races and the autoshow. Places I am on my feet for a long time. But the protection is absolutely minimal. And I really dislike laceups! They take too long to get in and out of.
One day they'll invent a nice looking (not all raced-out), comfortable boot with great protection that is easy to get in and out of...
but I won't hold my breath!

I would not change anything on this planned my AQlpinestrts. I've been riding for over 40 years, and Alpinestars has always been by my side. It never disappointed me and gave me the same feeling of security and comfort. But if I didn't convince you, check this article https://motorcyclesportworld.com/best-tall-motorcycle-boots-top-10-tall-motorcycle-boots-review/ on the many good types of tall boots for motorcycles. It shows the price range and how much security and comfortability it offers. You can also see how they look and in this way can at least decide what your option would be. Personally, I would never change my love for Alpinestars.

Last edited:
I recently got a pair of Klim Outlander GTX boots. I have wide feet and was worried that I'd have to suffer until I break them in, but they were perfect from day one. They are waterproof, lightweight, don't look like motorcycle boots, and are very comfortable on and off the bike. They work well with chinos and jeans. I was afraid that being waterproof they might be too hot in the summer, but didn't find them hot when temps reached 90s. I also love the BOA system, very easy to put on and take off. Needless to say, my collection of riding boots sits in a closet and I've been wearing these exclusively for the past month.

Former Footwear Professional chiming in:

It is insanely difficult to make footwear truly “waterproof” unless you’re talking gum boots. As for Gore Tex, it‘s waterproofness is a property of the material, not a product. Gore should not have been allowed a patent. Other companies doing the same thing have done better (and worse). Accept that your feet may get wet in some conditions. And remember that “breathable” GoreTex or not, doesn’t apply once the material is wet. Furthermore, if you think motorcycle-specific boots aren’t needed, keep in mind that lower leg injuries are the most common motorcycle injuries. Not the most serious, but do you really want to undermine your supports?

My parents had inexpensive, comfortable, easy-on-and-off motorcycle boots when they had their super-low-speed tip-over that broke mom's ankle and lower leg so bad she can still only walk a very short distance, years afterward.

Wear whatever helps you sleep at night. I won't pay any price at all for the kind of 'motorcycle boots' the OP is looking for.

Broke my ankle in a pair of Timberland boots last year. Have been riding in the TCX Heros this year. The malleolus pad would have saved me surgery and a 4 month recovery, plus the Heros are nice looking and comfortable.

I dont know your definition of innexpensive, but I just bought a pair of Forma Dual Sport boots (short) and while I havent road tested them yet, everyone I know who has them have nothing but praise for them. I am sitting here on my couch, wearing them (hate breaking in boots of any kind, so doing it now rather than while riding) If you search the net you can get them below $200. I have huge calves, so full sized boots are not possible. These look great and feel good, even just sitting here in the house. These are replacing some Bilt Pro Tourer Waterproof boots that were supposed to have been waterproof, but failed miserably the times I got caught in downpours.

ADVENTURE LOW
– Black

ADVENTURE LOW
– Brown

I cannot recommend any hiking boot for the simple fact there is no support on the ankle, especially if you lay the bike down and it is sitting on your foot... Just go out and lay the bike on your foot, you'll know.
I bought a pair of Forma Adventure Low Boots 3 years ago. They are waterproof and more comfortable than most of the shoes and boots I wear.

At the end of the day, water is going to get in if it gets wet enough and you ride long enough.
For walking, I find any touring boot is fine for walking once broken in. I use lots of boot wax to help break them in and to help with waterproofing - a hang up from mountaineering.

My wife and I were on our way back from Maine in 2010 and it started raining as soon as we got into Massachusetts. Never seen it rain so hard. We put our top of the line Frogg Toggs rain gear on, over top of our rain "resistant" Tourmaster textile riding gear, HJC full face helmets and our "waterproof Alpinestar's gloves and Alpinestar's boots". Rained all day. When we got to our hotel room in Catskill, New York that evening we were head to toe soaked to our skins.

I'm convinced "waterproof" in motorcycle gear advertising really means " will keep you mostly dry in a light rain for a short period of time"

I read a funny story one time about a guy who claimed all his gear was "absolutely waterproof". His doubting buddy invited him come over, put it on, and jump in his swimming pool, swim around for a couple minutes and then see if any of his underwear was wet.

I think if you ride long enough, in hard enough rain, water is going to find a way in. Rain gear, jackets, pants, gloves, boots. Some of it is probably a little better at keeping water out than others but in the end, water usually wins.

I agree with the Ferret.

Rubber boots (irrigation boots, or waders if you want the super-tall ones) and yellow rubber suits are totally waterproof, at least when they're new and un-cracked. Motorcycle gear is NOT waterproof. It's water-resistant to varying degrees.

Rubber boots and suits do not breathe AT ALL and are utterly miserable for more than a short ride to the field and back. I have many years of experience with this, if you're wondering.
(-:

Yup. If it doesn't breathe then you are going to get wet from condensation and sweat. I find back armour in jackets negates any breathability.
It be been lucky so far with boots.

Reactions: MZ5
Goretex and sympatex are also reliant on favourable conditions. It doesn't always breathe as expected. I've used goretex extensively for mountaineering and backpacking and it can be defeated in humid conditions and very heavy rain. You also need to wear suitable clothing/socks underneath. When a membrane fails it can cause problems as well..

^^^ agree on the Goretex comment.

I have some TCX boots with Goretex that are really nice, but in serious rain my feet have gotten wet, presumably from leaking through the seams. Goretex material supposedly lets water vapors through to relieve perspiration, but do not allow actual water droplets to pass.

I own TCX, Alpinestars, and Gaerne, all "waterproof" boots, but they've all gotten my feet wet or at least damp and one time or another.
I’ve rarely had a problem with boots not being waterproof when I have to ride in the rain. I carry a pair of plastic grocery bags for those occasions when I’m expecting rain. Takes two seconds to slip the boots off, and put them over my socks. No wet feet. The same applies to my full vented leathers. When you start off in the morning knowing it’s going to be a hot day later, I use a black plastic garbage bag under the front of my jacket to keep out the cold until it warms up. Simple!

Back