• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Anyone else?

itlives

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Concerning the thread subscription tool on this site. I really like this website. It is easy to use and usually, family friendly.

My only suggestion is to make the subscription to threads easier. I've lost threads (my own fault) from not subscribing to them. To subscribe seems convoluted to me.

On other sites, you have an option to be subscribed to any any thread you click on. It's in the initial sign up.

I was gong to send a PM to a moderator but thought if other members were thinking the same, they could add their thoughts or maybe a mod would make this a poll - I don't know how.

Sorry if this is trivial, I have gotten used to subscribing but wonder how many new members have lost touch because they didn't subscribe and didn't get an email notice.

Mike

You can subscribe 3 ways.

First, if you only want to watch the thread, and have not replied, hit the "Thread Tools" button on the top right of the thread area and click "Subscribe". You can select whether or not you want emails.
Second, if you use the "Go Advanced" button rather than the "Post Quick Reply", you can select if you want to subscribe w/wout email via checkboxes underneath the textbox window. This does not come up when using the just the "Quick Reply" box and "Post Quick Reply" button, you have to "Go Advanced".
Last, when you start a thread, scroll down past the textbox window to the "Additional Options" section and you can subscribe at that point.

Not sure how much easier this can be made. This is standard forum software, with set methods of doing certain tasks.

To me it would seem natural that if you care to start a thread or reply to it, then you should be automatically subscribed bu default, but I realize that may not be included in the forum software in use here.

You can.

Go to Settings (top right)
Then scroll down the left list to General Settings
Scroll down again to about the middle where you can set whether or not you want to automatically subscribe to threads.

Most forum software does not turn this on by default. Imagine on a much busier forums, how much email you would receive (or just think how many you would get just for the "What did you do to your NC today" thread alone).

The settings are there, just have to know where.

Back