• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Anyone experience Madstad windshield on 2021 DCT?

bumblepee

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all,

I have the NC750X DCT 2021. The wind gets my entire head, it's very annoying on highways, and I have to commute. My helmet is HJC RPHA90, on paper very good but very noisy (noise seem to be coming from around the neck on the side.

I am thinking to order a Madstad, but cannot find much information on NC owners who have installed it on recent models. I am about 6ft (180cm) tall. The seat is also talelr than stock, a SeatConcept foam with maybe 2 more inches than stock.

Any tip or help? If Madstad is the answer, than which length is appropriate: 18, 20, 22, 24 inch?

I realize I’m going out on a limb because I’m speculating but I’ve installed Madstads on three different motorcycles and they are amazing effective in each instance. Their site is helpful for sizing and if I were in your shoes I’d order the 20” as indicated.

Edit to add your taller seat height might call for the 22” if the seat is firm. If the seat foam is soft the 20”.

Thanks dueling. Now though... 20 vs 22... doesn't the Madstad adjust up and down for about 2-3 inches?

I will give them a call tomorrow to get some advice. Not sure how bad the taller windshield would look on the bike though.

Since I am here, let me ask. I remember a windshield that would easily go up and down and could be done one handed while riding. I don't remember for what motorcycle was or which brand, but I loved the flexibility. Any idea if there's something like that for the NC? I think Madstad is not practical to bring up and down frequently, right?

There is a large range of adjustment up and down as well as in rake angle but it’s important to keep the gap or slot at the bottom within a certain range. The air coming up through the slot is an important part of the noise and turbulence control behind the shield because the up down adjustment also opens or narrows the slot. If the selection is too short you have to have it all the way up and it’s possible too much wind will come up from under the bottom edge. If I’m not mistaken Madstad gives 30 days to make certain the height is correct. To the ease of adjustment question I find that on the NC I find a certain sweet spot and leave it there all the time. On the Wing I have two heights marked, one being a rain height. It is specifically warned against doing so but it’s not difficult to adjust it while riding…… that’s part of finding the sweet spot. I cut tiny bits of tape and apply them on the brackets to act as markers during the adjustment phase.

Last edited:
Thanks dueling. Now though... 20 vs 22... doesn't the Madstad adjust up and down for about 2-3 inches?

I will give them a call tomorrow to get some advice. Not sure how bad the taller windshield would look on the bike though.

Since I am here, let me ask. I remember a windshield that would easily go up and down and could be done one handed while riding. I don't remember for what motorcycle was or which brand, but I loved the flexibility. Any idea if there's something like that for the NC? I think Madstad is not practical to bring up and down frequently, right?
I set the Madstad where I want it and leave it. On mine, if I raise it I get more air coming around the lower corners which apparently mixes with the air disturbed by the hand guards which causes turbulence and noise at my upper chest area. My Madstad stays set at the lowest position.

One could probably adjust the Madstad screen angle easily while riding, but raising and lowering it could be an unsafe operation.

Can someone post some pictures of their bike with Madstand shield, along with the length of windshield they have? I am trying to understand how much it sticks out or how it looks from various viewpoints. Can't find many pics with Madstads of various heights.

Many thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Can someone post some pictures of their bike with Madstand shield, along with the length of windshield they have? I am trying to understand how much it sticks out or how it looks from various viewpoints. Can't find many pics with Madstads of various heights.

Many thanks in advance.
There has been at least 4 versions since 2012 with differences in screen shape and mounting hardware. One thing is constant however.... the Madstad wins no awards for best looking NC700/750X windshield. The stability, adjustability, and function of the Madstad however is top notch and it will make the NC a bike you can go places on. Mark Madstad is very analytical and the website will help make the right height decision. You really do want the top edge between the top of your upper lip and bottom of your nose and there are directions on how to measure this height for your body on your bike. With the top edge height relatively fixed the various lengths then vary the size of the slot at the bottom.

I believe 670cc modified the location that his shield attaches to the brackets and so runs one different than the stock Madstad. I have the original version currently on my 2013. My 2015 had the second version but I don't remember the shield height. I am 4" shorter than you and the height of mine should have little relationship to you bike/body.

I believe 670cc modified the location that his shield attaches to the brackets and so runs one different than the stock Madstad. I have the original version currently on my 2013. My 2015 had the second version but I don't remember the shield height. I am 4" shorter than you and the height of mine should have little relationship to you bike/body.
My problem is that back with the original Madstad NC windscreen model, there were two windshield shapes offered. I chose, regrettably, what I thought was the more stylish version that swept upwards more at the outer lower edges. It existed even before the side wings were offered. i later added the side wings but I have still always been subject to more air coming around the lower sides of the screen because of that choice, and I need to keep the lower edge of the screen down low to minimize turbulence at the chest level.

Edit to add: In the summer I remove the plastics from my hand guards and I notice a reduction in the wind turbulence in my chest area. I think the windscreen, side wings, mirrors, and hand guards all play a role in the air quality.

I called Madstad today, a guy named Dan answered. I told him some people complain about the air coming from under the shield. He said there will be some more air coming to the chest and is normal, because that air helps go up and push the upper air above the head. So, I am not sure how much more air may come from down there but I had the impression the opening is done by design.

Folks, I sent some pics to Madstad with the manual measurement of my position. They say my shield size should be 22 inch, although they mention long shields may look too big. Has anyone here put a Madstad windshield of 22 inches? Is that going to look acceptable?

Im 6’1. I think mine may be 24 inch but maybe 22. It is in lowest and most raked position which is where it stays in summer except in rain. Wintwe i move rake to center and up an inch. Ive had it on for 30,000 miles and could not be mor pleased.

Attachments

• 64A21867-DEC7-4466-8B4C-9B7B3AE6015D.jpeg
    64A21867-DEC7-4466-8B4C-9B7B3AE6015D.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 82
  • B1854384-87BD-4B75-8EFE-7BAEC1152529.jpeg
    B1854384-87BD-4B75-8EFE-7BAEC1152529.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 79
Thanks, made up my mind for 22 inch.

Madstad's return/exchange policy is not very generous. There's a loss of $100+ returning or exchanging between restocking and shipping fees. Just putting the info for others looking for a solution for the first time.

I put my madstad on today. I will say, I didn’t realize I’d be removing most of the front panels to mount it. However, it was 2 hours time total-With some breaks to deal with kids and work messages. Looks pretty good. I got the 22 inch. At 6’3” it’s still a giant leap over the factory screen. I will report back tonight after work.

After my maiden ride with the 22 inch madstad installed, I will say it’s quite different.

I should have opted for the 24 inch screen since even at the highest position, wind is still hitting me above the chin bar on my helmet. This is not all bad-the venting at the top of my helmet is able to get some air this way.

A significant improvement on wind noise and resistance against my torso-obviously. I have recently gotten used to all the wind against me as I have been riding daily over the last few weeks. But with the tall screen it is much quieter-even more if I duck my head down a bit. It was almost an odd sensation that I will have to get used to not feeling the wind push me.

My initial MPGs 50-60mpg @65-75mph seem to be unaffected, but I will continue to monitor. I have the screen at the tallest setting and leaned back. I plan to move it around a bit to see any differences, but I’d imagine that in its most upright position fuel economy will suffer.

I’d wish I hadn’t gotten the darker tint, but I can still see above the windscreen. It certainly looks better than clear, but there is some reflection at night.

As of now, I’m going to stick with it and get used it. My ears are happy!

Check out this recently written thread on the Madstad on 2022 Honda NC 750X

Hi all,

I have the NC750X DCT 2021. The wind gets my entire head, it's very annoying on highways, and I have to commute. My helmet is HJC RPHA90, on paper very good but very noisy (noise seem to be coming from around the neck on the side.

I am thinking to order a Madstad, but cannot find much information on NC owners who have installed it on recent models. I am about 6ft (180cm) tall. The seat is also talelr than stock, a SeatConcept foam with maybe 2 more inches than stock.

Any tip or help? If Madstad is the answer, than which length is appropriate: 18, 20, 22, 24 inch?
Bought it for my 2017 dct and coupled with bark buster hand guard..it’s no go. Tried to dremmel the thing and is now in the recycling bin. Confirm if they now accommodate handguard. HTH

Risers, bar rotation angle, adjustment angle and height of Madstad in brackets, etc can all affect how Barkbusters fit up against a Madstad. Categorically saying it doesn't accommodate handguards is inaccurate. On my 2015 I had to cut off about 1/2" of each bottom corner if I recall. Each generation shield has been different in size and shape.

Risers, bar rotation angle, adjustment angle and height of Madstad in brackets, etc can all affect how Barkbusters fit up against a Madstad. Categorically saying it doesn't accommodate handguards is inaccurate. On my 2015 I had to cut off about 1/2" of each bottom corner if I recall. Each generation shield has been different in size and shape.

Back