• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Anyone Painted, vinyle wrap, or plastidip their Rims?

fleetingyouth

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey all,

I really want red rims on my bike. I'm pretty sure ive seen a few bikes on here with painted rims but cant remember who and how they were painted.

Ive done a bunch of plastidip projects and have several parts dipped on the bike so have been thinking of doing that. But I'm not opposed to painting them.

What has been peoples experience with both painting and dipping their rims? How long did it last? difficult to keep clean? etc...

Thanks for any info.

I have not done it on the NC but have on other bikes ( cars)........

DIY..........Paint is the easiest and least cost. Baked paint can be more durable, epoxy or hardener can improve durability.
Powder coat........ more durable but can be costly and labor intensive. Done right can be very difficult to undo. Done right also means bearing and seal removal ( replacement).
Plastidrip .........easy but less durable.
Wrap........complex shape not easy especially for DIY

Last edited:
I think the rim tape is an easy way to do this also - several folks on this forum have done that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Powder coat is the most durable. You need to remove everything off the wheels including tires, valve stems, bearings and seals. Any grease will mess up the coating.
Plasti dip or spray paint is easy as cleaning and taping. Plasti dip will allow you to try it to see if you like the look.
They make durable epoxy paint if you want to go that route. Regular hardware store spray paint may not be durable enough.

Plasti-Dip or Spray paint seems the way to go for the cheap. I work part-time at a shop that offers "Cerakote", Although i've Cerakoted a lot of stuff, i've never done anything that large. I mostly do smaller parts, tools, threaded caps/covers and of course Stainless Drink Cups, etc. It is amazing stuff but very expensive the larger the item. :{)

I think I might give plastidip a go. Since I cant really mess it up.

Anyone with brightly colored rims how dirty do they get with street riding? Will I be cleaning them all the time?

I think I might give plastidip a go. Since I cant really mess it up.

Anyone with brightly colored rims how dirty do they get with street riding? Will I be cleaning them all the time?

The first thing to get dirty on my bike is the rims (stock, black). The rear is covered in dust and the front gets tar and bugs.

I agree. The hardest part to clean is the wheels. Whatever dirt and grime gets on there is hard to wash off.

I change my own tires with an HF stand and a Mojo bar. If the rim itself was PlastiDip, I don’t see anyway the tire could be changed without shredding the Dip right off the rim.

Last edited:
Back