• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Aprilia Tuono Rear Shock (Sachs)

How would one do this without a spring compressor?

Today I ordered Cogent's DDC kit for the front. Rear suspension will be next! Think I'm gonna go this route.

You can't. Take it to your neighbourhood garage and have them put it on. It would only cost a few bucks. You could also buy a cheap compressor for around $30-40 bucks.

Last edited:
I bought a HF spring compressor for around $20,modified it a little and it works !!.

I know a lot about a few things,a little about a lot of things but I don't know everything about anything !!.

Well, I went ahead and pulled the trigger. Ordered a used Tuono Sachs shock online and called KFG for the spring. Hopefully I'll have both of them within a week. Then I'll have to find a buddy with a spring compressor...

How much preload are you guys using for the 170mm/115Nm shock?

I just put mine in on the weekend but haven't had a chance to measure the sag. I set my preload to about half way on the threads and it was just about perfect. The seat height was very close to stock with my 175lb arse sitting on it.

One thing I strongly suggest you do is to add washers as spacers on the top and bottom to make up the difference in the bushing size from the NC stock. I know some here haven't done this. When the top bolt goes through the top mount and Sachs shock it should pull tight on the shock bushing to secure it. Not using a spacing method will either leave the bushing lose (it will wear on the bolt) or if you do manage to tighten in enough, it will bend the ears of the shock mount which could result in a failure and make it impossible to reuse the stock shock. I used a caliper to measure the stock NC shock and then made up the difference by selecting different 10mm washers.

It's a real pain in the butt to get the washers in the top shock mount because you have to do three things at once, position the shock, place the washers and install the bolt. If I had to do it again I would probably remove the left side plastics to allow access.

Last edited:
Would it be possible to use cellophane tape or a "putty" to hold the washers for install?

The bolt should just punch through the tape if it works.

I have used clear tape several times,make sure you punch a hole before you put it there.

I know a lot about a few things,a little about a lot of things but I don't know everything about anything !!.

Today's project

382346f6f678f6d5a2350016585030ef.jpg

Set the adjustment rings at about the halfway point on the shock. It was perfect for me and I weigh 175. Adjusting the screw will be a little difficult because the wishbone runs in front of the adjustment screw so I preset it to the midpoint.

Let me know how it works on your test ride. I can't test mine because we have snow on the ground but in a months time I'll be in Florida to try it out.

Last edited:
Got the new spring and shock installed today. Measured both mounting points with caliper, needed four washers on top and two washers on bottom to get close to OEM measurements. Used a little Belray waterproof grease to hold the washers in place, and a reach magnet to insert the top bolt. Easy, peasy. Test ride tomorrow!

b00dfcbd2f7b1450516f836027aa657b.jpg

Got the new spring and shock installed today. Measured both mounting points with caliper, needed four washers on top and two washers on bottom to get close to OEM measurements. Used a little Belray waterproof grease to hold the washers in place, and a reach magnet to insert the top bolt. Easy, peasy. Test ride tomorrow!

b00dfcbd2f7b1450516f836027aa657b.jpg
Please let us know if you like your setup, I have a Tuono rear shock I plan to install at the end of winter when the weather will permit.
thanks

I'm confused.

I weigh in at 15 and a half stone, the wife a little over eight, and I find the balance of the bike perfectly acceptable and the ride perfectly comfortable with the Honda setup.

What is it I'm missing here?

I'm confused.

I weigh in at 15 and a half stone, the wife a little over eight, and I find the balance of the bike perfectly acceptable and the ride perfectly comfortable with the Honda setup.

The Honda rear shock has no adjustability so sag and damping can not be changed. Also the Sach's is a better quality shock. The NC shock doesn't take well to stutter bumps.

At your weight measure out the sag with your stock shock. You will be amazed how "out of range" it will be. The NC was engineered around a 12 stone rider.

I'm confused.

For me, it was not so much the sag as the poor quality roads that we have here in Alabama. Lots of bumps, holes, etc. Needed something with better high-speed compression.

I'm confused.

Fully loaded for a week of offroad riding..

Live life,be yourself !!!!.

The Honda rear shock has no adjustability so sag and damping can not be changed. Also the Sach's is a better quality shock. The NC shock doesn't take well to stutter bumps.

At your weight measure out the sag with your stock shock. You will be amazed how "out of range" it will be. The NC was engineered around a 12 stone rider.

Awesome. I happen to be 12 stones! I didn't know that until I did the conversion just now. Still, even at 12 stone, the NC doesn't work with the stutter bumps.

I'm confused.

I weigh about what you do and my wife less than yours and there is no way that the NC handles well with the combined weight. We tried it once when the battery on her CBR250R died and I took her home on the back of my bike. The back sagged so much that it felt like we were both going slide off the back if I hadn't had the top case on. It wasn't a particularly bumpy road but we felt every single one of them. It felt very scary. We haven't tried it since but I recently upgraded the rear shock so we will try again.

Back