• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Aprilia Tuono Rear Shock (Sachs)

Ahh, it was cold and raining and the wife wanted some family time, so it didn't happen today. Should happen within a couple of days though.

Was finally able to do my test ride today. Got home about 4:30pm, sunset was 4:45pm. Temperature was dropping fast, but I needed to ride! Warmed up the bike, suited up, connected the heated gloves, and off I went. Rode some bumpy roads, a few curves, and a little stop-and-go in town. After 1-1/2 hours, my little toes were starting to complain -- it had dropped to 32 degrees, and I had not taken the time to put on my heated socks. Brrrrrrr.

I am definitely pleased with this mod! Initial settings were midpoint on preload and 19 clicks out on damping. I ended up adjusting two more clicks out on damping. Sag feels good. A professional could probably make it a little better, but I'm satisfied for now.

Paid $90 for the shock, $105 for the spring, and $30 to have the spring installed on the shock, so all together this mod cost me $225.

Now I need to go back to the front and make some more fork adjustments. I've already installed the Cogent DDC kit, but the compression is still a tad harsh. I think I want to try a slightly lower viscosity oil. I've also ordered fork preload adjusters, and I'll have to cut the spacers down to install those.

I'm so close! :D

Yes, where? And is there a particular make/model of Aprilia bike or part number? The link above to eBay goes to $800.00USD + shocks.

The guy I bought mine from said that on the Aprilia forum guys take them off and just throw them away !!!.
They replace them with ones off the full on sport bike !!.
He had my shock on EBay for a month and no takers.I bought it for $40 and it only has 1,500 miles on it.

Live life,be yourself !!!!.

Found mine on eBay, figured out that the seller was a moto parts shop, went to their website, and it was $10 cheaper! Score!

I forgot we've got a great Aprilia shop here in Austin so I rang them up and turns out they had a few shocks laying around and sold me one for $100, which is more than fair I thought. Most others online right now were $200+.

AF1 Racing / Apriliaforum.com : Aprilia Performance Parts and Accessories - AF1 Racing - I spoke with Ed, if anyone else is interested it sounds like they have more.

Now to order up the spring from KFG. AF1 wanted closer to $150 for the spring.

trey

Ordered up the Ohlins spring from the nice folks at KFG today, $113 shipped to my door seems like a great price, said I should have it in a week or so.

Have the Tuono shock, CB1100 fork preload adjusters, and some .90kg fork springs waiting to be installed to supplement my Ricor valves up front. Hope this all transforms the bike into what I want. Once the spring arrives I'll get to installing!

trey

Ordered up the Ohlins spring from the nice folks at KFG today, $113 shipped to my door seems like a great price, said I should have it in a week or so.

Have the Tuono shock, CB1100 fork preload adjusters, and some .90kg fork springs waiting to be installed to supplement my Ricor valves up front. Hope this all transforms the bike into what I want. Once the spring arrives I'll get to installing!

trey

I hope so as well. I had tHe RICORS and returned them. They did nothing for me what so ever. Others love them. The problem for me was no matter what valving I put in, without drilling out the stop damping holes you ended up feeling the stock jarring damping of the stock fork before the valve could act. Once I drilled them out and put the gold valves in, it was magical.

I ended up with racetech gold valves up front, drilled out my damping rods as instructions said and these forks are now amazing. I'll never go back.

Last edited:
what is the ricor part number?

Not sure, but I know they're the 41mm valves listed for the Honda Transalp. Just search Ricor on this site, lots of info.

I hope so as well. I had tHe RICORS and returned them. They did nothing for me what so ever. Others love them. The problem for me was no matter what valving I put in, without drilling out the stop damping holes you ended up feeling the stock jarring damping of the stock fork before the valve could act. Once I drilled them out and put the gold valves in, it was magical.

I ended up with racetech gold valves up front, drilled out my damping rods as instructions said and these forks are now amazing. I'll never go back.

Well, I've been underwhelmed so far as well. They were an improvement over stock, but not a 'WOW' kind of thing. I've traded a few emails back and forth with the helpful folks at Ricor and their suggestion is to do the same -- drill out the damper rod.

To quote the Ricor rep:

You may benefit from drilling out the bottom cross hole as it sounds like the system is spiking. Most times the lighter fork oil negates that problem but not always. We have some SV 650 guys that like it better after they drill out the hole.

When you replace the springs you can use an impact to remove the bolt on the bottom of the damper rod, turn the fork upside down and it will fall out. You don’t have to take the slider apart from the stanchion. Then drill out the hole. It is not critical as we are trying to remove it from the damping equation. If it is .250 then make it .312 or so.

When I install the heavier springs, I'll drill out the holes and I think (hope) that'll do it.

/hijack on the rear shock thread ;)

trey

That will help for sure. Kind of defeats the main advertising of the RICORS though -- that you don't have to drill anythung.

That will help for sure. Kind of defeats the main advertising of the RICORS though -- that you don't have to drill anythung.

Absolutely, but to Ricor's credit, remember they don't even list an application for the NC, we've all just adopted the Transalp part as if they're identical. For all I know the Transalp has larger compression holes in the damper rods to start with.

Now Cogent, their DDC is specifically for the NC, and claims no drilling required, and people seem very happy with them. That's probably the way to go if one has an aversion to drilling the damper rods. Truth be told, that's the direction I'd go if I had a time machine, rear shock included.

Sitting here drinking my coffee, reading the service manual while the forks are upside down draining....

trey

I'm
Absolutely, but to Ricor's credit, remember they don't even list an application for the NC, we've all just adopted the Transalp part as if they're identical. For all I know the Transalp has larger compression holes in the damper rods to start with.

Now Cogent, their DDC is specifically for the NC, and claims no drilling required, and people seem very happy with them. That's probably the way to go if one has an aversion to drilling the damper rods. Truth be told, that's the direction I'd go if I had a time machine, rear shock included.

Sitting here drinking my coffee, reading the service manual while the forks are upside down draining....

trey

Oh Ya, agreed.

You may want to consider paying a machine shop the $30 to drill out the holes precisely and debur them. I ended up doing that since you generally need to add more holes (racetech wants four new holes a specific distance apart from one another) and doing it clean and precise is pretty nice.

Not sure, but I know they're the 41mm valves listed for the Honda Transalp. Just search Ricor on this site, lots of info.

Well, I've been underwhelmed so far as well. They were an improvement over stock, but not a 'WOW' kind of thing. I've traded a few emails back and forth with the helpful folks at Ricor and their suggestion is to do the same -- drill out the damper rod.

To quote the Ricor rep:

When I install the heavier springs, I'll drill out the holes and I think (hope) that'll do it.

/hijack on the rear shock thread ;)

trey

wow that does suck. I didn't know Cogent made a kit for the nc. I will check them out again. just received the cbr 600 shock. I spent $15 more to get one that had low miles. glad I did it looks almost new comp and rebound adj. I hope she is happy with it

Back