• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Question Are Arai actually safer?

They (Snell) have a nice publication showing the relationship between the two. It is here:
The work there is properly statistically controlled and validated. I believe that IRCOBI presentation was peer-reviewed and published, but I no longer recall for certain.

There are other interesting research articles available in the Documents section of the Snell Memorial Foundation’s website, here:

Hi all, Personal injury attorney here, with experience in dealing with tons of motorcycle injuries. I read studies and have attended seminars. I've studied TBIs in depth. While not an expert, I can certainly opine with something to back it up. In my professional opinion, riding with a helmet is far superior than riding without one. Thank you all. I've had my say. Tip your waitress on the way out.

Seriously though, the important thing is that you wear a Helmet. Whether it's a 700 dollar Arai or a 100 dollar HJC, the most important thing is that you cover your melon with a bucket (preferably full face, and not of the "novelty" type). Just pick one that meets some decent standards and doesn't come from Alibaba. That gets you 98% of the way there. while it's nice to be absolutely protected as best you can, quibbling over who gets you that last 2% really isn't as important. Every crash is different, and in the particulars when head meets the road, some helmets will be better than others in certain situations. No helmet will protect you in all situations.

My personal belief is that the best way to spend your protection money is not to dump it all into one object, like a helmet, but to spread it around. I have a quite respectable Nolan Helmet that meets EU specs, which I picked up for 400 bucks, and I also got an airbag vest for another 400 bucks. I feel safer in that than I would in an 800 dollar superhelmet blessed by Rossi himself.

Last edited:
Learnedbutt - excellently put!

But you know you will be picked on for that!
These guys are looking for that helmet that will protect for everything and make coffee for them!!!!

Learnedbutt - excellently put!

But you know you will be picked on for that!
These guys are looking for that helmet that will protect for everything and make coffee for them!!!!
Not true, and that’s rather impolite to suggest so. I actually agree for the most part with our lawyer friend. We are having a discussion on whether the marketing from Arai such as the importance of the r75 shape have ever been scientifically demonstrated. We also are simply looking for the best as I have 1 head and I’d like to keep it in its current condition.

Reactions: MZ5
WOW, so now your going after me?
Social media has screwed everyone up.
Not going after you at all. I was pointing out that making assumptions was impolite, and you did assume we would argue with Learnedbutt and that I as the OP am looking for a helmet that can do everything rather than simply a great helmet. If your first post was a joke I apologize, I didn’t read it as such.

Last edited:
Reactions: MZ5
Hi all, Personal injury attorney here, with experience in dealing with tons of motorcycle injuries. I read studies and have attended seminars. I've studied TBIs in depth. While not an expert, I can certainly opine with something to back it up. In my professional opinion, riding with a helmet is far superior than riding without one. Thank you all. I've had my say. Tip your waitress on the way out.

Seriously though, the important thing is that you wear a Helmet. Whether it's a 700 dollar Arai or a 100 dollar HTC, the most important thing is that you cover your melon with a bucket (preferably full face, and not of the "novelty" type). Just pick one that meets some decent standards and doesn't come from Alibaba. That gets you 98% of the way there. while it's nice to be absolutely protected as best you can, quibbling over who gets you that last 2% really isn't as important. Every crash is different, and in the particulars when head meets the road, some helmets will be better than others in certain situations. No helmet will protect you in all situations.

My personal belief is that the best way to spend your protection money is not to dump it all into one object, like a helmet, but to spread it around. I have a quite respectable Nolan Helmet that meets EU specs, which I picked up for 400 bucks, and I also got an airbag vest for another 400 bucks. I feel safer in that than I would in an 800 dollar superhelmet blessed by Rossi himself.
This does help keep things in perspective. What’s funny is that 400$ is 2x as much as I’ve ever spent on a helmet before, so I guess almost anything is a step up!

This does help keep things in perspective. What’s funny is that 400$ is 2x as much as I’ve ever spent on a helmet before, so I guess almost anything is a step up!
Yes, but I was not entirely spending the money on the safety features alone. I got the Nolan N70-GT2, which has a MASSIVE viewport but still safe. https://www.burnoutmotor.com/en/crossover-helmets/4891-105740-nolan-n702-gt-classic-n-com.html

One of the bigger concerns, rather than focusing on the 2% of safety, is the simple fact "does this helmet fit my head". We all have different shaped noggins, and having a perfectly fitting helmet is both safer, and keeps you from getting headaches. Some people don't have Arai-shaped heads. Simple as that. Find a bucket that is comfortable AND safe.

Last edited:
Yes, but I was not entirely spending the money on the safety features alone. I got the Nolan N70-GT2, which has a MASSIVE viewport but still safe. https://www.burnoutmotor.com/en/crossover-helmets/4891-105740-nolan-n702-gt-classic-n-com.html

One of the bigger concerns, rather than focusing on the 2% of safety, is the simple fact "does this helmet fit my head". We all have different shaped noggins, and having a perfectly fitting helmet is both safer, and keeps you from getting headaches. Some people don't have Arai-shaped heads. Simple as that. Find a bucket that is comfortable AND safe.
You’re absolutely right. I like the 2% take on things. I am making my list of must haves for a helmet currently. Fit is always #1 but it’s good to keep that at the forefront.

. . . . Some people don't have Arai-shaped heads. Simple as that. Find a bucket that is comfortable AND safe.
This should apply to all brands, but specifically for Arai, they make helmets for 3 different shape heads. People who fit the Arai 'Defiant' line of helmets may not fit the Arai 'Corsair' line, etc. etc. etc. My wife went into a moto shop and the HJC factory guy happened to be there, he tried her with a half dozen different helmets to get her fitted right.

All this goes back to my post near the beginning of the thread, people will not wear a helmet that is not comfortable.

So summing up everything here: Snell is better than DOT, there is no perfect helmet and different test methods produce different results, Arai may be a little safer than other helmets with regards to rotation but not likely enough to be worth the cost based on that alone, you must have a good fitting helmet to protect your noggin, and if you get into a wreck call learnedbutt and he will fight for you! ;) next investigation are the 6D helmets thank you for all the help.

So summing up everything here: Snell is better than DOT, there is no perfect helmet and different test methods produce different results, Arai may be a little safer than other helmets with regards to rotation but not likely enough to be worth the cost based on that alone, you must have a good fitting helmet to protect your noggin, and if you get into a wreck call learnedbutt and he will fight for you! ;) next investigation are the 6D helmets thank you for all the help.
Snell is active in saying that it is better but:

How Much Does Certification Matter In The Real World?​

Testing is valuable, no doubt. But for the sake of fairness, lab tests take place in a controlled environment and are very consistent and precise. In the real world, accidents are chaotic and unpredictable.

So a given helmet could perform exceptionally well in tests, but fall behind others in real world, post-crash damage assessments. The reverse could also be true; helmets with a great reputation among riders could be outperformed by others in the testing environment, especially if helmet manufacturers make a point of building to the standard.

Snell is active in saying that it is better but:

How Much Does Certification Matter In The Real World?​

Testing is valuable, no doubt. But for the sake of fairness, lab tests take place in a controlled environment and are very consistent and precise. In the real world, accidents are chaotic and unpredictable.

So a given helmet could perform exceptionally well in tests, but fall behind others in real world, post-crash damage assessments. The reverse could also be true; helmets with a great reputation among riders could be outperformed by others in the testing environment, especially if helmet manufacturers make a point of building to the standard.
Very true. In fact Snell themselves say that lab testing is not designed to mimic crashes.

I prefer EU standards because riding a metric bike, it's most likely I will be crashing in metric.

Honda riders hit the pavement in Newtons, Harley riders hit the pavement in pounds of force
Not that I want to argue with a lawyer, but the Harley riders I know hit the pavement in TONS of force :cool:

We have a motorcycle superstore here in Ohio called the Iron Pony. They carry about every size, and every color, of every motorcycle helmet on the planet I think.( plus anything else you could possibly want. Its really like a Walmart Superstore of motorcycle gear) You can spend a whole day in there trying on helmets. I know because I have done it lol. After trying on all of them, the only one that makes me go "Ahhhh" when I put them on are the HJCs. Guess I just have an HJC head. I've got 7 of them, full face, modular and open face, although I only wear the full face and open face helmets a couple times a year. I prefer the modulars for a multitude of reasons.

The best motorcycle helmet, is the one you gladly put on before every ride.

We have a motorcycle superstore here in Ohio called the Iron Pony. They carry about every size, and every color, of every motorcycle helmet on the planet I think.( plus anything else you could possibly want. Its really like a Walmart Superstore of motorcycle gear) You can spend a whole day in there trying on helmets. I know because I have done it lol. After trying on all of them, the only one that makes me go "Ahhhh" when I put them on are the HJCs. Guess I just have an HJC head. I've got 7 of them, full face, modular and open face, although I only wear the full face and open face helmets a couple times a year. I prefer the modulars for a multitude of reasons.

The best motorcycle helmet, is the one you gladly put on before every ride.
Going to Iron Pony is almost a religious experience. I’m amazed every time I go

Back