• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Are my factory ties gone already?

GunNut37086

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I've got 2,400 miles on my NC. I think my rear tire looks more worn than it should. Here's what the ties look like. Am I being overly paranoid?
57c2f199220db03563b95e96cca7dcb0.jpg

e3ce49a3877d786abee9a34a81f95f41.jpg

]

The OEM Dunlop 609 rear tire starts with only 5/16" thread whereas most rear MC tires start at 7 or 8/32". They will show wear like that a lot sooner than other tires. The upper pic looks like it's showing a tread wear bar and if so the tire should be replaced soon. I got 5700 miles out of my OE but wear is so hard to compare between riders....

I put on a set on Conti Motions, probably have three times the miles I got on the CheeseMax, and they're still okay.

I put on a set on Conti Motions, probably have three times the miles I got on the CheeseMax, and they're still okay.
From what I've read they last longer than most, but are kind of hard. The PR3s get good reviews too, but as I understand it they're softer and would wear faster.

At this rate, with non-OEM tires I'd still be going through a rear tire every 3 our 4 months, if I don't get a harder tire.

I shouldn't be surprised they wore down so soon:

1. Apparently OEM tires have less tread...thanks Dunlop/Honda
2. It's hot as balls here...mid-90's every day
3. I've really been enjoying having a bike again...read: probably driving too spiritedly
4. I'm more than a few pounds overweight...285-290
5. I didn't RTFM like I should have and kept the rear at 36# like the tech at my 600 mile service until I learned better...at around 1800 miles

No clue what order to put those in, but at least several are preventable and I've learned from my mistakes.

I just hit 7000 km. I think I'm good for a few thousand more.

I think someone made a mistake a put a set of real tires on your bike. The ones I had on my 2014 bike were showing a 1/4 inch steel belt down the middle of the tread at 2500 miles (4023km). I'm now running PR3's that still look very good at almost 7500 miles.

Don't feel bad about poor wear on your Trailmax tires. I only have 3,000 miles on my Dunlop Trailcrap tires and I am already at the wearbars. The strangest part is that my front is more worn than the rear. Honda must have got a great deal on these from Dunlop. They are definitely not designed to last long. I do a lot of aggressive twisty road riding and am 6'4" 230lbs. So, wear may differ with those who are smaller and/or ride more conservatively. I'll be replacing mine in a few weeks with Continental Trail Attack 2 tires. Bought them online. The tread looks significantly deeper than the tread depth I started with on my Trailmax's. So, hopefully I'll get at least 7,500 miles out of them.

Last edited:
Those Dunlops do wear fast, plus riding style makes a huge difference.

Pick up a set of Metzeler Z8's. I get 15k miles out of a rear if I go 55/65 on the freeway and about 10 if I haul *** everywhere.

You know what the rear looks like. Here's the front:

ae6a845d0224942c4b045562b3667d56.jpg

f0258023fe2b8940be9394faadc842cb.jpg

I see the value of changing both together, but dang it seems like a waste. Can I save some money and let the front go this time?

My stock rear Dunlop Trailmax D609 is almost gone at 2,500mi... I am neither a crazy nor a quiet driver, somewhere in the middle but those Dunlops are just junk. I ordered a Michelin PR4, those are supposed to handle all road conditions well and last way longer.

I am running the Michelin Pilot Road 4's on front and rear now, and I love them. Rear has about 6k miles on it and barely looks worn. Front was put on in April, so barely even warmed up yet. I ran conti-motion prior and they were fine, but once the PR4 was put on the rear, it was like I was running with stick-um on the rear in the corners.

I bought a Michelin Pilot Road 4 yesterday. I accidentally ordered a 150/70R17 and called back to change it. On my ride home the dealer called to say the 160/70R17 I wanted isn't listed, they ordered me a 160/60R17. They said I'd like it better anyway, because it corners better than the taller tire. Won't that throw off my speedo? Any thoughts?

I bought a Michelin Pilot Road 4 yesterday. I accidentally ordered a 150/70R17 and called back to change it. On my ride home the dealer called to say the 160/70R17 I wanted isn't listed, they ordered me a 160/60R17. They said I'd like it better anyway, because it corners better than the taller tire. Won't that throw off my speedo? Any thoughts?
160/60R17 is the stock OEM size. It's the one you want.

An that (poor OEM tires) is exactly why my wife had her NC750X delivered on PR4s. She did have to pay a surcharge, though.

Back