• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Asking advice on wiring up some lights

rippin209

Reaction score
Visit site
I've just ordered some cheap lights and want to wire these on a dedicated switch, I already have a switch and 12G wires, a inline fuse and such just wondering if someone with more electrical know how wants to chime in, or if anyone has the same units with any advice.
Nilight 2PCS 18W 1260lm Spot Driving Fog Light Off Road Led Lights Bar Mounting Bracket for SUV Boat 4" Jeep Lamp,2 years Warranty Amazon.com: Nilight 2PCS 18W 1260lm Spot Driving Fog Light Off Road Led Lights Bar Mounting Bracket for SUV Boat 4" Jeep Lamp,2 years Warranty: Automotive

And the switch I already had
Chrome Glow 12V Waterproof Push-Button On-Off Switch with 12" Leads Amazon.com: Chrome Glow 12V Waterproof Push-Button On-Off Switch with 12" Leads: Automotive
I'm not set on installing one or both of the lights yet and I plan on installing this on my Honda OEM light bar

Last edited:
1200 lumen isn't very bright so I don't know if that's what your going for. You have 1.5 amps per lamp so 12awg is way overkill. What fuse rating are you using? Id recommend 5 amp. Other than that pretty straight forward unless you want it ignition controlled as well(key controlled)

2014 nc700x -Rox risers-22in madstad-barkbuster storms.- sold

17 Africa twin tricolor

Last edited:
Here is a diagram that helped me to wire my eBay led light to a switch. I'm guessing those fog lights will have pos and neg wires for each light. So you want to combine those to single wire and follow this diagram.

f1da61df3e028fa660a6d97439f9a587.jpg

I didn't connect it to my battery. I used one of the available slots on my subharness so that it's switched power.

My led lights aren't very bright but it's way better than the stock headlight and at certain angles drivers definitely see it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Here is a diagram that helped me to wire my eBay led light to a switch. I'm guessing those fog lights will have pos and neg wires for each light. So you want to combine those to single wire and follow this diagram.

I didn't connect it to my battery. I used one of the available slots on my subharness so that it's switched power.

My led lights aren't very bright but it's way better than the stock headlight and at certain angles drivers definitely see it.

Yeah didn't know if rippin is going for uber brightness, extra vis, off road. Time will tell. It also depends on if they are flood or spot lights makes a huge difference as well. (Yup just read they are spots, lol)

2014 nc700x -Rox risers-22in madstad-barkbuster storms.

Last edited:
Yeah didn't know if rippin is going for uber brightness, extra vis, off road. Time will tell. It also depends on if they are flood or spot lights makes a huge difference as well.

Your right, have no idea what his intentions are with the lights.

Sorry rippin to hijack the thread but what the heck are you doing loungin over here? Haha. Having fun Spending lots of money on your new AT???

Your right, have no idea what his intentions are with the lights.

Sorry rippin to hijack the thread but what the heck are you doing loungin over here? Haha. Having fun Spending lots of money on your new AT???

So far not to much. None actually other than maint. Need some crash bars and tires but I'm gonna burn the stock set first. Not gonna leave the Nc fam behind.

Yeah didn't know if rippin is going for uber brightness, extra vis, off road. Time will tell. It also depends on if they are flood or spot lights makes a huge difference as well. (Yup just read they are spots, lol)

yeah I figured for the price they aren't going to be super bright, you get what you pay for right, more than half my riding is in the dark and I would like more range them my headlight has. I figured if I don't like them for the bike I'll install them on the back of the truck for backing up. I'm no electrician so just trying to get tips from those that know. Thanks for the help

Thanks for the diagram doesn't get any simpler then that. I have the sub harness and haven't used it sense I replaced the OEM outlet with a aftermarket I wired directly to the battery like the diagram

Last edited:
Yeah visuals help so much! Good luck on the install and let us know how bright it is. It sure has ton of reviews.

Yeah those look like they will help out with that no problem. For wiring, battery to the fuse, fuse to switch and then wire each light in parallel. You can use a common ground but I'd recommend running two ground wires. Make sure it's to the frame on clean metal or right back to the (-) battery terminal. 18 awg is spot on for that and a 5 amp fuse, that way the fuse is the weakest link so you don't bust anything else.

Side note too if you use quick disconnects put a little silicon dielectric grease in their to keep water out.

Straight to the battery and some clown can come turn your lights on for a funny joke. Why not use a set of leads from the option connector (sub-harness)? Then you don't need the fuse and the clown gets no joy.

Straight to the battery and some clown can come turn your lights on for a funny joke. Why not use a set of leads from the option connector (sub-harness)? Then you don't need the fuse and the clown gets no joy.
That's a good point and I can't think of a reason not too. Any tips on wiring into the harness properly or is that just as simple and straight forward as wiring direct? I've heard of a couple people having wonky problems such as lights flickering or turning on and off with blinkers (that sounds like a plus lol) not sure how they did that and don't want to repeat it. I remember reading somewhere different years are slightly different but I could just be making things more complicated then they are? My NC is a 2013 if anyone knows the difference. I've got the Honda heated grips but the rest of the harness is unused. I'm trying to have them on all the time and as bright as possible I'll adjust angle so as not to blind others if they end up being that bright

Last edited:
Oh then you have no reason not to use the subharness if you already have it. Go to this thread and get the connectors to make it clean connection. Biggest pain is taking off all the side panels to access the subharness. Be patient and be organized. For whatever reason I have two pin connectors that don't have a home after I put everything together. If you don't have the manual the hondas instruction on installing the subharness is better than anything.

Corresponding connectors

That's a good point and I can't think of a reason not too. Any tips on wiring into the harness properly or is that just as simple and straight forward as wiring direct? I've heard of a couple people having wonky problems such as lights flickering or turning on and off with blinkers (that sounds like a plus lol) not sure how they did that and don't want to repeat it. I remember reading somewhere different years are slightly different but I could just be making things more complicated them they are? My NC is a 2013 if anyone knows the difference. I've got the Honda heated grips but the rest of the harness is unused

Not sure when the change was made, but I recall it as 2014. Someone here may have better info as I am getting rusty on the details as I don't run one of these any more. If you have the accessory wiring harness that plugs into the sub-harness, and have the option relay and 7.5 amp fuse, there should be three 3-pin 2-wire connectors having a green and a brown wire. Any of those will do. The brown is the 12v switched plus from the option relay and the green is ground. All you would need to do is wire the negative side of your lights to the green wire and the brown through the switch to the positive lead on the lights. Done. The fuse at the option relay will protect it and the switch will only power the lights if the ignition is on.

The subharness changed for MY 2014 in that the bright headlight signal was no longer available on the 3 wire plug. This did not affect the availability of +12 volts and ground on all 4 of the subharness plugs.

1200 lumen isn't very bright so I don't know if that's what your going for. You have 1.5 amps per lamp so 12awg is way overkill. What fuse rating are you using? Id recommend 5 amp. Other than that pretty straight forward unless you want it ignition controlled as well(key controlled)

2014 nc700x -Rox risers-22in madstad-barkbuster storms.- sold

17 Africa twin tricolor

I thought 1200lm wasn't much either, but then noticed the Denali D2 are only 1450lm.

I thought 1200lm wasn't much either, but then noticed the Denali D2 are only 1450lm.

Absolutely, it also depends on reflector construction, degree of beam, and some other factors. We also don't know where they took their measurements to get 1200 lumen. Either way it's dependent on to many variables.

Hijacking the thread to ask some advice. I got two 10W LED and wired them to the accessory harness and through a switch on the handlebar. Everything is fine but turning then on and off (to avoid blinding oncoming drivers) is a bit tricky due to the switch location (damn handbrake).

I would like to have them full power when in highlight and dimmed otherwise, with the option to turn them off completely. I thought about keeping the switch (for full off) and using a dimming module for car DRL, using the headlight as dimming signal.

Any thought ?

Jos,
I have the same arrangement as you, 10 watt LEDs powered through the accessory harness. The addition of an IQ-275 light controller from Skene Lights, a US company, added the features you’re looking for. You can run your lights at 20% on low beam, then have them automatically go 100% when you switch to your high beam. In addition, you can use your switch for a third brightness level (or off) when desired. All brightness levels are programmable from 0% to 100%.

Here is a link to their store: Skene Lights - motorcycle safety lighting

Last edited:
Back