• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

August, 2017 TAT on the Africa Twin

Dct..planning is half the fun. Take a go pro....or other video with lots of storage.
+agree
Last year's trip out to CO, I took one GoPro and the battery died along the best sections.
This year, I am taking my favorite, GoPro Session and a couple Chinese knockoffs for backup.
I am also going to take a fast point'n'shoot camera, tethered, for fast snapshots while on the move.

Last edited:
I just bought the maps for Oklahoma. In the eastern third of the state it looks mostly like gravel roads and some grid riding.
I know some of the roads and there are some pretty sections.
If you get close to Westville, Oklahoma send me a message and I might ride along for a bit.
Hank, sorry for the delayed reply.
We just finalized our starting date and looks like we will be in your n'hood Sunday 8/20 after camping in the Ozarks.
Hope we can find a nice lunch spot and talk a bit.
If you could PM me your mobile device contact numbers, I can TXT you our progress or no progress.

On my go pro, i set it for one button control and only shot n "samples". 10s to a minute videos. Yeah, i missed a scene or two, but i collected a lot for my memories. I carried two extra batteries just in case, but never has a battery go dead.

Have a Great trip Mike!! A buddy of mine & I are trailering to South Dakota next week for some "Off Tarmac" riding!! Im taking the AT & the 250 to make sure I've got the right tools for the task!!

Alfred

I am riding out to CO,UT,OR via the TAT, starting in August, 2017.
Then go north from Port Orford, OR to Seattle, WA.
This trip starts in August and ends when I arrive in
Seattle by mid/late September.
My riding companion (also on the AT) will go on to Alaska if possible.

I am undecided how to return to Atlanta, GA.
Any suggestions on a return trip, would be welcome.

View attachment 33726

On my go pro, i set it for one button control and only shot n "samples". 10s to a minute videos. Yeah, i missed a scene or two, but i collected a lot for my memories. I carried two extra batteries just in case, but never has a battery go dead.
Good tip, Dale!
The session will be under my visor and the day long Hero3+ will be set to take continous loops,
like a car dashcam, for those 'YouTube moments' that are usually missed.
I will have some cheap low res cameras that I will use for short selfie type shots.
After CO, UT I probably will ship most electronics back home.
Also under consideration is the purchase of a drone for that CO, UT segment.
Nothing fancy like OCR, but I'd be happy for some 780P aerials around the White Rim.

I just got back from a 6800 mile trip out west with my son. We were on the CBR 1100XX and the ST1300. Put a WUPP power source on the clutch reservoir with 3M super scotch and it let me keep all my stuff charged up. Put phone, GoPro battery charger with extra batteries, GoPro remote, DJI Mavic Pro Drone hub charger too in y Tank Bag. Although a buddy found out and pleaded with me not to charge drone batteries above my gas tank as the batteries have been known to catch fire. Drone puts a whole new perspective on videos.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
So I got half of the return route loaded onto my GPS
Take the NW Passage East to the northern start of the Continental Divide Trail and go south into CO,
Decided to check out the traffic around the NP along the way before committing.
839b3ebb40ba59cefe36a202bafca989.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Some Irish folks who I have ridden with occasionally are over your side currently somewhere on the TAT. One of them is a former Dakar finisher. He is on a modified DRZ Rally bike. It is unlikely that You will bump into them but who knows.........

Some Irish folks who I have ridden with occasionally are over your side currently somewhere on the TAT. One of them is a former Dakar finisher. He is on a modified DRZ Rally bike. It is unlikely that You will bump into them but who knows.........
Yea, who knows...
If they liked the trail, maybe they'll turn around and meet us, near the start :)

I was just watching a fellow doing the TAT on a AT. Looked like too much bike in several locations. Had trouble picking it up. His sons were on card 250s. He finally swapped with one of them

Yeah, to real dirt bike riders a 275-pound dualsport is heavy, but on anything but fast pavement it's so much easier to deal with than an ADV bike, it doesn't wear you out nearly as fast, the worries are less, and it can be fun in places a heavier machine is just something to be endured. For something like the TAT where one may be hitting the highway for stretches it would be nice to have a sub 375-pound machine that may not be a total joy on the fast pavement, but it can do the +70mph speeds with some margin to spare, and is likely to have more clearance, suspension travel, more flickable handling etc for the trails. Seat height also comes into it of course...

I'm following two AT riders, on adv forum who set out to finish the full TAT in 12 days. So far no issues with the terrain, just some routine bike issues as everyone else.
Those who can handle big bikes prefer them over smaller ponies but it remains to be seen...
As for me, it's my only bike choice the other Moto is the CTX700DCT[emoji2]
Saving that one for tomorrow.

I'm following two AT riders, on adv forum who set out to finish the full TAT in 12 days. So far no issues with the terrain, just some routine bike issues as everyone else.
Those who can handle big bikes prefer them over smaller ponies but it remains to be seen...
As for me, it's my only bike choice the other Moto is the CTX700DCT[emoji2]
Saving that one for tomorrow.

You still have your ctx?

Arm pump from riding tough terrain and/or picking up heavy bikes leads to shaky camera? ; }

Of course when it's bad it's bad and when it's good it's fantastic. But my continual interest seems to be toward seeing some new designs that are fairly light 450-650cc machines, with more of a dirt orientation. You can get hammered bad enough from dealing with a light bike packed with essentials. Just need enough torque and horsepower and no more, traded off against weight -- especially if you do some solo riding : }

BTW, hats off to those who have the skillz and/or chutzpah to do it on heavy runners. I am not one, however... ; }

Arm pump from riding tough terrain and/or picking up heavy bikes leads to shaky camera? ; }

Of course when it's bad it's bad and when it's good it's fantastic. But my continual interest seems to be toward seeing some new designs that are fairly light 450-650cc machines, with more of a dirt orientation. You can get hammered bad enough from dealing with a light bike packed with essentials. Just need enough torque and horsepower and no more, traded off against weight -- especially if you do some solo riding : }

Met a dude named Dan with the CSC RX3, a little 250cc adv bike imported by CSC. He has 33,000 miles on his and truly rides offload. He's going to take it from Ohio to South America and go for a years trip next year. (there is a whole thread on ADV rider)

Screen Shot 2017-08-12 at 10.05.40 AM.jpg

385 lbs (dry)
Steel frame (easy to get welding on steel done on the road)

The motor is pretty torquey and pulls the bike up to 85 mph with 6 gears.
I think they run under $4000.

He added a custom exhaust and I think that's about it. He said motor has been flawless for all 33,000 miles.
Might be a cheap contender.

85mph. Chortle. Bit of speedo error there. It's a mild-tuned 250 and my WR250 buries it and it won't do a true 85 unless windage is in my favor ; }

But yeah, I've met a guy or two riding around on that China Bike, and we had a good time exchanging info and riding around. Info included the suspension depth and typical WOT speeds.

2016-09-23 15;37;45 by greenboy, on Flickr

All set to go. Meeting riding partner in Tellico Plains,TN for an Aug17th start date.
Just have to decide what gets booted from the luggage:

076ce0c92e40255e08b522f8909c3ca8.jpg
f0d7f7b8394fca83632ad051539fbc52.jpg
fce117f13274d7b0735def00f8c81e81.jpg
8023afd33b91580efe1d87130d880903.jpg

06a61695d9e1441c70496b6ac134d24f.jpg

Last edited:
Back