• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

August, 2017 TAT on the Africa Twin

Made it to Kremmling, CO after dodging couple thunder showers in UT and CO
I thought riding thru YSP and the Tetons would conclude my planned return to CO but the Flaming Gorge SP via 191 was a nice surprise:
Tomorrow, should be a gorgeous day thru Rocky Mount NP and onwards to Mammoth Caves, KY
7bc95c5b052a720849594bbac2da5bd1.jpg
d2aed0571036004e324b7b5c69d6f9bb.jpg
bf3888312b0a9aac71db5de04b1f1375.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I had to reroute due to rain.
Headed to the Ozarks [emoji3]
Byrd's Adv center (which was my planned stop on the TAT)

cf1f995f42c1d9587e1100c99d4dea6b.jpg

Last edited:
One last pic to end this trip:
What kind of n....d built this?

9f16efddb28d123d04e117fe484198a8.jpg

To infinity and beyond! Glad you had a safe trip, despite the welcome ticket in WA.

Ray
New respect for you. I don't know how you do it, even with your Moto mule setup. I'm all tripped out!
Safe at home.
[emoji2]
70526eca247cd63b2fcdcf130bbdca20.jpg

Congratulations on the completion of your ride! When you get a chance it would be great if you could put together some thoughts on what worked and what didn't work as planned on your trip. Also any places you would recommend others visit if they're in the area. Thanks!

Congratulations on the completion of your ride! When you get a chance it would be great if you could put together some thoughts on what worked and what didn't work as planned on your trip. Also any places you would recommend others visit if they're in the area. Thanks!
I reviewed what I did with this thread and I must admit it resembles my state of mind- disheveled! ;)
I'll collect my thoughts and add more useful info in the following weeks, maybe salvage this thread into a ride report.

Many thanks for posting. I very much enjoyed going thru Your album. Needless to say I am guilty of envy looking at all that lovely territory and tracks.

I would love to do the TAT at some point...having road it, what would you say experience level should be with off-road riding?
I'll try to answer this...
Need to think a bit, for an honest answer based on my trip[emoji2]

here goes ...
Many people have "done" the TAT with many different skill levels.
Those who post their ride reports give us only a partial glimpse of how it went.
Some ride the whole track, many have to make decisions on a daily basis of whether to soldier on or bypass
certain sections for whatever reason. IMO, most "finish" the TAT their own way but one thing is common:
they all had an adventure of their own, based on individual skill.
To do the TAT from start to finish without any diversions is to have luck and the weather on their side, no matter the skill level.
Most of the TAT is beginner level off-roading and some long sections are almost boring and don't add much to the whole experience.

The few sections that are difficult are the challenges to your skill level: riding long sections of mud, rocky downhills, switchbacks with drop-offs etc.
Why do we take risks?
IMO, because risk brings rewards not obtainable otherwise.
To each the amount of risk you are willing to take is measured by how much reward you are going after.
What some may consider risky is "a walk in the park" for others with more skill and experience.

Short answer to the question "what would you say experience level should be with off-road riding?"
Just ride it and do your best to your satisfaction.

What anyone else says or thinks about what you did is immaterial,
because it was your adventure and there is always another, next time.

PS. I did not finish the whole track. Made a decision to call it off in Utah.
Not because of skill level alone, but at that point, I was satisfied with the TAT.
For now... :)

Last edited:
Flaming Gorge State Park, UT

Sometimes you get lucky and experience something like this:

[video=youtube;dD-qlE4Puc8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dD-qlE4Puc8[/video]

Canyonlands, UT

My best ride was not on the TAT, but in Canyonlands, UT

Last edited:
I like that answer...I was simply asking since, like you said, you only get a glimpse of other people's trips. I don't know if I'll ever be able to do the trip, but it's certainly a dream of mine to be able to. And wow, those Canyonlands trails look pretty cool!

Back