• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Auxiliary/spktlights

I am thinking about getting these lights for my 2020 and have a couple of questions:
1. How do you like them?
2. Do you need the switch? I would like to wire them to be on all the time at about 20% and then go up to 100% when I turn on my high beams. What I don't know, and Denali doesn't really say, is if you need any of their switches to make that happen or if D3's w/ datadim technology can do it without any extra Denali specific harness/switch.

mtnbiker1185

I like them very much - the DRL6 that I added to the back; and the Denali D3 lights to the front.
Just riding this morning in some early morning fog only reinforced the fact that the D3s not only help you see ahead but also have you be seen by vehicles ahead of you.
In regard to your second question I would go to the Denali website and check the installation instructions for the D3 lights for the appropriate instructions. Off the top of my head here's what I seems to recall - you don't need a switch if you want to just use a posi-tap to the low beam lights. When you turn them on the bike the D3s will illuminate. If you wish to have the lights turn on with the low beam, and then brighten using the high beams then you will need to use a posi-tap to both the low beam and the high beam wires, and use a switch to choose whether you want low-beam or high beam illumination. I think that allows you to choose 50% or 100% illumination by a switch. Finally if you wish to have a variable illumination say 20% to 100% I believe that you can do so with datadim technology and a switch that allows you to choose the percentage of illumination on a circular type switch (don't know if I am using the right terminology).
Again, your best best is to check the installation instructions on the Denali website. If I understand correctly what you hope to do then you will need an upgraded harness; a circular switch that allows you to define the % of illumination, and the appropriate datadim attachment to allow you to make the setup do what you want it to do.
HTH

mtnbiker1185

I like them very much - the DRL6 that I added to the back; and the Denali D3 lights to the front.
Just riding this morning in some early morning fog only reinforced the fact that the D3s not only help you see ahead but also have you be seen by vehicles ahead of you.
In regard to your second question I would go to the Denali website and check the installation instructions for the D3 lights for the appropriate instructions. Off the top of my head here's what I seems to recall - you don't need a switch if you want to just use a posi-tap to the low beam lights. When you turn them on the bike the D3s will illuminate. If you wish to have the lights turn on with the low beam, and then brighten using the high beams then you will need to use a posi-tap to both the low beam and the high beam wires, and use a switch to choose whether you want low-beam or high beam illumination. I think that allows you to choose 50% or 100% illumination by a switch. Finally if you wish to have a variable illumination say 20% to 100% I believe that you can do so with datadim technology and a switch that allows you to choose the percentage of illumination on a circular type switch (don't know if I am using the right terminology).
Again, your best best is to check the installation instructions on the Denali website. If I understand correctly what you hope to do then you will need an upgraded harness; a circular switch that allows you to define the % of illumination, and the appropriate datadim attachment to allow you to make the setup do what you want it to do.
HTH
I appreciate the response, thank you.

Unfortunately, I checked Denali's installation instructions that are on their website and they don't even discuss the wiring of the lights. Just the physical mounting, lens swapping, and how to properly aim them. I will probably reach out to them and see what they say though.

I appreciate the response, thank you.

Unfortunately, I checked Denali's installation instructions that are on their website and they don't even discuss the wiring of the lights. Just the physical mounting, lens swapping, and how to properly aim them. I will probably reach out to them and see what they say though.
No worries mtnbiker1185. It does appear that the Denali website has changed since I installed the lights on my bike. Back then the options and parts necessary for installation were linked to the driving light webpage.
I looked through the new Denali site and it would seem that a new product the DataDim Lighting Controller would meet your needs as far as an adjustable controller for D3 lights (DataDim Lighting Controller). The webpage for the controller is fairly thorough in its content and after reading it in its entirety you may find it will provide more functionality than you wish but I believe it will answer your questions as far as installation.

If you wish to only have Hi beam/Low beam/Off beam switch functionality then it seems you will need the following parts for wiring: the premium harness; hi/low/off switch and dual intensity controller. The attached .pdf files identify the parts and installation requirements and methods for such a setup. The last .pdf (fourth) contains the instructions for installation for the DataDim Lighting Controller and should provide you with a general reference for overall functionality and installation for the product. You should be able to access these .pdfs under wiring options and not under the light description as I recalled. I apologize if I initially led you in the wrong direction.

You can elect to install the lights w/o a switch but you would then limit yourself to the lights turning on when you turned on the low beams. With this installation you would connect the wiring posi-tap to a source that provides power when you turn the ignition switch on.

I hope this helps more than my poor attempt at remembering what the Denali website was like that last time I saw it.

Attachments

• Instructions_DNL.WHS.10900_rev00_Denali_driving_harness_for_lights.pdf
    10.4 MB · Views: 2
  • Instructions_DNL.WHS.11000_rev00_DualIntensityController.pdf
    762.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Instructions_DNL.WHS.11200_rev00_HiLowOffSwitch.pdf
    451.8 KB · Views: 1
  • Instructions_DNL.WHS.20500_rev01_DataDImLightingController.pdf
    3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Back