• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Question Backlight doesn't keep setting?

scott c

Reaction score
Visit site
Just wondering if this is normal. On my 2012 NC I set my backlight level to #1 (dim) and next time I ride it resets to bright level 3. Should it stay on level1 or is it normal to have to set it each time? Thanks

Just wondering if this is normal. On my 2012 NC I set my backlight level to #1 (dim) and next time I ride it resets to bright level 3. Should it stay on level1 or is it normal to have to set it each time? Thanks
The brightness setting should stay where you set it and not reset each start-up. I guess if the battery is deeply discharged but has enough current to start the bike, the voltage dip when cranking the starter motor MIGHT reset all the settings in the instrument pod. Just speculation from past experiences. Does the A & B trip odometers reset to zero as well?

The brightness setting should stay where you set it and not reset each start-up. I guess if the battery is deeply discharged but has enough current to start the bike, the voltage dip when cranking the starter motor MIGHT reset all the settings in the instrument pod. Just speculation from past experiences. Does the A & B trip odometers reset to zero as well?
No, the trip meters don't reset. I just purchased the bike recently with 2100 miles on it with a new battery and keep it on a battery tender when sitting for more than a day. The back lighting will sometimes stay set for a day or two but usually will go back to bright on its own. Thanks for the reply, I'm not that concerned about it just curious.

I know there was a recall on the "combination meter" for 2014 NC's. Not sure if this applies to 2013.

If it makes you feel any better, the Trip A and B milage is impossible to reset on mine... drives my inner pedant crazy every time I fill up with gas!

I'm a little late to chime in, but after changing the backlight setting wait to turn the key off until the display stops flashing and don't touch any other buttons during this time. After the display stops flashing and returns to 'normal' you can turn the key off and it will retain the settings. If the key is turned off too early (while it is still flashing) it will not save the settings.

-Saturday

^^^This. The display is poor in that you have to wait (a surprisingly long time, IMO) for the unit to exit the edit mode -- there is no way to exit/save at will. The display on my 2015 reminds more of a cheap LCD clock than a display for a motorcycle.

I know there was a recall on the "combination meter" for 2014 NC's. Not sure if this applies to 2013.

If it makes you feel any better, the Trip A and B milage is impossible to reset on mine... drives my inner pedant crazy every time I fill up with gas!
Just wondering, do you have the engine running or just ignition on when you go to reset the trip? Mine will only reset with ignition on, engine off.

I've tried all combinations, and it occasionally works after turning the ignition on, with the engine still off, but only if I do not push any other buttons or change any other modes on the display.

Update: Fixed my combination meter. The left button was stuck down - so when I went to reset mileage by holding the right button, it went into "setup" mode. Interestingly, the setup mode worked as normal. Guessing the left button was stuck down, but became intermittently "un-stuck" when pushed.

Back