• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Baffle removal from stock exhaust

eda1NC700x

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Folks,

I was hoping to pull out the baffle tube from the stock exhaust; to get a bit more sound. I cannot afford right now a aftermarket exhaust -- out of question as of now.

So got a 1.5" hole saw drill and drilled around the baffle tube (OD 1.25") at the tip of the exhaust. The hope was to start twisting and shaking the baffle to pull it. But it seem the other end of this baffle tube is welded inside the can.

I tried using a vice grip to pull it out, no luck...I did take it to local muffler shop, they want to cut open the can and then remove the baffle...not something I want to do...

As for the sound because there is a 1 mm thick gap (because of using the hole saw) between the baffle tube and plate to which it was welded (this is at the exhaust tip)...it is a bit louder, but when decelerating it it doesn't more like a fart rather than a rumble...sorry not sure how to put it across... :)

I dont want to drill a hole at the end plate which could reduce the backpressure and possible have issues with performance...

Question:
1. Has anyone tried to modify the stock exhaust or try to remove the baffle tube from NC700?
2. Any other suggestion on how to remove the baffle?

Please let me know

Thanks in advance,
Sajiv

I wish you would have ask before doing.someone did try this and i believe they said couldn't be done without tearing it up.i can't find the thread now sorry.

sent from a keyboard in the frunk

Ziggie, Yeah I agree...should have verified from the forum before attempting it...

Maybe this will actually force me to get a new muffler like Leo Vince or Two brothers in another year probably...

Is there any tool or something that will still break the weld at the end of the tube; or else will just leave it like this...

Thanks again

If you are thinking of a slip on and have centerstand make sure it has a stop on it.i think the Leo does.hope this helps.

Based on previous discussions there doesn't seem to be a lot you can do with the stock can to let out more rumble. As far as aftermarket pipes go, check out Danmoto. They have 7 or 8 different pipe styles for these bikes, and they are about 1/3 the price of a Leo Vince or any other pipe from a bigger name. I got my pipe for about ~120CAD shipped. Most of their pipes can have an extra baffle installed, by you, if you find it too loud.

I used a step drill on a 1/4" socket extension to drill a hole in the baffle plate in the middle (about halfway down from the outlet side) of the stock muffler. The hole is probably about 3/8" to 1/2" in diameter. I am pleased with the increase in sound. The idle and low RPM range sound strong (noticeably louder), and the mid to high RPM ranges sound stock (quiet). Exactly what I wanted.
Take a look at Danmoto exhaust. Their muffler kits get pretty good reviews at most websites and forums, and they only cost about $115-155 depending on the style. Much cheaper than the big names.

Last edited:
Hi Gdawg,
Thanks a lot for the offer...I might still use it but trying to experiment a bit more with the stock muffler...

This is what I ended up doing;

1. As mentioned used a 1.5" hole saw and drilled around the baffle and the end plate to which it was welded. This made the baffle free from the tip of the exhaust.
2. Used a dremel with metal cutting wheel and went inside the baffle started cutting the end of the baffle. This made the baffle tube shorter by 1.25"
3. This created around .25" spacing between the end plate and the baffle tube (which now is inside the can rather than protruding till the tip of the can).

This does provide the a good louder exhaust sound, but now sounds more like a tractor...not too bad actually...infact sounds more like a Triumph Bonneville with Arrow pipe...

With this mod made a 1000 mile trip from SoCal to NoCal; here is the map - http://goo.gl/maps/JA4SB; went pretty well, average mileage was around 75mpg and initial pickup was also the same.

I might try the Danmoto first as it is relatively less expensive

Thanks for all the help/suggestions...

Regards,
Sajiv

I have danmoto carbon fiber muffler came with mid pipe and hardware for 100 dollars sounds great gave a few more horse power not a lot but sounds good

I used a step drill on a 1/4" socket extension to drill a hole in the baffle plate in the middle (about halfway down from the outlet side) of the stock muffler. The hole is probably about 3/8" to 1/2" in diameter. I am pleased with the increase in sound. The idle and low RPM range sound strong (noticeably louder), and the mid to high RPM ranges sound stock (quiet). Exactly what I wanted.
Take a look at Danmoto exhaust. Their muffler kits get pretty good reviews at most websites and forums, and they only cost about $115-155 depending on the style. Much cheaper than the big names.

Do you have any photos or can you explain where and how deep the hole you made is?

The baffle is about halfway down the muffler center tube. Maybe 10" deep, if I remember accurately. I used a 12" long #21 drill bit to start a pilot hole. Not particular reason for the size, that's just the longest bit I had on hand. I enlarged the hole using a Harbor Freight step drill on a 12" socket extension up to about 3/8" diameter. The little hole that is partially covered above the large drilled hole was just an error. It is hard to keep a long, flexible drill bit centered when you can't guide it close to the cutting end.

Here is the final result. As mentioned earlier, I was pleased with the result and had no reason to want to "undo" the mod. However, please be aware that once the hole is drilled, it will be difficult to plug or weld shut since it is in the middle of the muffler.

20140304_193646.jpg

I ended up removing the stock muffler after a while and replacing it with a Danmoto Jisu. The Danmoto with the baffle makes a little more noise than the drilled OEM muffler, but mostly I just wanted it for the lower weight and (to me at least) it matches the look of the bike better.

I almost went with a Delkevic for less than $200 shipped, plus it included a center stand stopper. I wouldn't go hacking into the stock exhaust in case you ever need it or sell the bike. Dealers like stock bikes for trade ins. With cheap aftermarket options I would go that route first. Ended up going with a Leo Vince full exhaust package and got a nice performance bump with better sound.

I took a 1.125" hole saw down the center and removed the last stage baffling. Better sound (not loud at all and hardly noticeable on the highway) and no noticeable change in performance which I suspected.

Back