• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Bar End/weight removal (How to)

netizen

Reaction score
nc700-forum.com
I've read every thread I can find on here about removing bar ends and weights, as well as every hand guard thread.
There really doesn't seem to be rock solid information on this task.

I've never done anything with the bar ends on any of my bikes, so I was very surprised to find it wasn't a simple task of just removing the screws in the bar ends.
I've read the clips are very hard to release in order to get the weights out, but I am ashamed to say that I haven't even figured out how to remove the screw from the bar end. It just spins and spins when I try to remove it.

I think for anyone never having done this, it would be great if someone would post a step by step guide for this bike.

If you are replacing grips, or installing hand guards, this would be a great help to have a clear step by step procedure to follow.

Thanks

I'll try to help you out, I'm sure others might have differing opinions

Removing the Bar Ends

This should be fairly straight forward. Hold the bar weight with one hand and then only the screw should turn. So, loosen the screw while holding onto the bar end weight and you should be set.

Removing the inner bar weight

Many people have had many different experiences with this. This is what I did...

1) If you're in a colder climate, use a heat gun to heat up the grip on the left side, and roll it back so that the hole and clip are visible

2) You actually want the bar weight and screw attached so that you have a point for leverage and turning

3) I used a pair of needlenose pliers to depress the clip holding the inner bar weight in place and then I rotated the clip about 90 degrees, grabbing onto the bar end, so it wouldn't catch again while trying to remove the inner weight

4) I cranked forever to try and remove the weight, but didn't have the luck of others. It spun around and around, but refused to move out more than a quarter of an inch. I tried just about everything. So I had to refer to a technique I saw Beemerphile use....

4) I went to AutoZone where they loan out slide hammers. I borrowed the hammer and the axle flange (there is a deposit, but no cost for rental)

5) I attached the flange to the slide hammer. And then I ran the screw and bar end through the flange and screwed it back into the inner weight (The bar end is larger than the holes in the flange so it catches)

6) It took no more than 4-5 good slides and the inner weight popped out.

Removing inner weight on throttle side

1) remove bar end weight

2) Dismantle the switch housing to access the screws holding the throttle housing in place

2) loosen the screws on the throttle housing and slide the housing in towards the center of the bike to reveal the hole and clip

3) Repeat steps 4-6 above

Does this help?

Lenkergewichte1.jpg

OK, now for a really dumb question: What on earth are weights doing in the handlebar? The diagram looks like some sort of mechanism. I would have guessed a spring to counterbalance the throttle, but since these are sold on the aftermarket, I have no idea what is in there OEM.

Ya, aber das freakin' federteller ist nicht fur knipexgrabben und du kann leicht schnappen der finger am den Zange.

LOL. Well, words are in german (which I don't speak) but the picture speaks for it self, isn't it?

OK, now for a really dumb question: What on earth are weights doing in the handlebar? The diagram looks like some sort of mechanism. I would have guessed a spring to counterbalance the throttle, but since these are sold on the aftermarket, I have no idea what is in there OEM.

No mechanism at all. Just another "internal" weight that adds to the external one. The only mechanism there is that this system allows the "external" weight rotate freely, and that if you were to have an equivalent weight in the traditional way -external- you would need one really big and heavy.

Weight changes the resonate frequency at which the handlebars will vibrate, hopefully away from any frequency generated by the motor.

Weight changes the resonate frequency at which the handlebars will vibrate, hopefully away from any frequency generated by the motor.

Well I don't remember having any bar end weights on my dirt bike. And the NC or any other type of sports bike with bar end weights I believe has significantly lower vibrations than a Japanese motocrosser. I myself don't understand why the needs to be a bar weight and they seem like a pain to remove.

Well I don't remember having any bar end weights on my dirt bike. And the NC or any other type of sports bike with bar end weights I believe has significantly lower vibrations than a Japanese motocrosser. I myself don't understand why the needs to be a bar weight and they seem like a pain to remove.

Off-road bikes usually doesn't have bar end weights, specially motocrosser. Having said that, it is interesting that my old XT350 has significantly less vibrations than the NC700X. While the XT350 has a counter balance designed to eliminate vibrations (and it does the job pretty well) the NC700 engine was designed to "emulate" v-twin vibrations

Off-road bikes usually doesn't have bar end weights, specially motocrosser. Having said that, it is interesting that my old XT350 has significantly less vibrations than the NC700X. While the XT350 has a counter balance designed to eliminate vibrations (and it does the job pretty well) the NC700 engine was designed to "emulate" v-twin vibrations

Does bar end weights really eliminates vibrations? If that is so I would expect a bunch of vibes if I were to remove the bar ends on my NC? And a whole lot less vibes on my motocrosser if I were to install bar end weights on it?

This is a genuine question. I really doubt if those things work at all. lol

Does bar end weights really eliminates vibrations? If that is so I would expect a bunch of vibes if I were to remove the bar ends on my NC? And a whole lot less vibes on my motocrosser if I were to install bar end weights on it?

This is a genuine question. I really doubt if those things work at all. lol

So it is really meant to be weighted! My last motorcycle was a 1977 BMW and my prior bikes, a 67 Triumph and a 59 Harley did not have them. The BMW did have a steering damper. So are the weights for vibration comfort, or to slow the steering?

So are the weights for vibration comfort, or to slow the steering?

I myself don't understand why the needs to be a bar weight and they seem like a pain to remove.

Post # 8 copied below pretty well covers it.

Several 100 models over 30 years use this or a similar bar end weight system. Resonate is part of the solution so more is not necessarily better. I really think if they had no value Honda would have left them off just for the cost. It might take a vibration frequency analysis to find the vibes they are trying to damp.

Aftermarket "bar snake" and home made solution are lead shot added to the bars are copies of this weight system.

barsnake

Edit: Fourth post down on this link has a good explaination:

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/community/Forums/Categories/Topic/?topic-id=423106

Last edited:
I'm not an automotive engineer, but here is my take on the subject. As always, feel free to disagree.
Once upon a time, most bikes had some pretty serious vibration. as newer and higher revving engines were designed, the vibes became higher in frequency due to the increased rpm range. The automotive world then invented the term NVH (noise, vibration, harshness) and decided to do their best to make cars run smoother and more quietly. With motorcycles, high speed vibrations were also deemed bad. Speaking as someone who's wrists would go numb due to handlebar buzz in some 1960s through 1980s bikes, I'll admit that I absolutely hate to ride a bike with high frequency vibes in the bars. There was however one additional new term called "character" which came into popular usage in the motorcycle press. Character seems to most commonly refer to a low frequency pulsing type of vibration which is deemed extremely desirable in bikes. My take is that a certain manufacturer of motorcycles with the best public relations and legal department in the industry decided it would be better to convince the world that motorcycles should shake than to go through the expense of re-engineering their 100 year old engine design.
At any rate, for years people have added weight to handlebars to kill the dreaded buzz. It was once relatively common practice to put lead shot inside the bars. One company came out with the handlebar Snake which was a long weight that was inserted into the bar (I think they may still be in business), and then manufacturers started using bar end weights to kill the buzz, but Let the character come through. So, IMHO, handlebar weights are not meant to stop the bars from vibrating altogether, but to lessen high frequency buzzing.

Anyway, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Bob

My Renthal Fatbars are filled with .50 caliber black powder musket balls. I shoulda drilled a fuse hole in the center and packed the first six inches with black powder.

Wow! This has been very informative! I had no clue about any of this. It's making me wonder if I really want to remove these weights when i install my barkbusters. I do remember reading one rider just left the weights in and attached the barkbusters to the bar ends. It seems like this might be the best option instead of removing them and using the internal hardware that came with the barkbusters, since the internal hardware is very light weight aluminum.

Suggestions?

Wow! This has been very informative! I had no clue about any of this. It's making me wonder if I really want to remove these weights when i install my barkbusters. I do remember reading one rider just left the weights in and attached the barkbusters to the bar ends. It seems like this might be the best option instead of removing them and using the internal hardware that came with the barkbusters, since the internal hardware is very light weight aluminum.

Suggestions?

Bingo. That is what I would do. I only took mine out because someone asked how to do it, so I did it. Mine were still installed in the handlebar that I obsoleted when I installed the Renthal FatBars.

Back