• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Bar End/weight removal (How to)

I removed mine with a vice grip and hammer , worked great two wacks and it was out , put my hand guards on , and no vibration at all ...FYI.

Bar end weights stabilise the bars at speed.If you remove them and leave the handlebars while driving you will notice that the steering will shake quite a bit.

I needed to remove my bar weights to install the Barkbusters, I removed the end weights then re inserted the screw and used a vice grip inside of the screw head and hammered the inner weight out, took about a minute and came out clean.View attachment 8466

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 460
I needed to remove my bar weights to install the Barkbusters, I removed the end weights then re inserted the screw and used a vice grip inside of the screw head and hammered the inner weight out, took about a minute and came out clean.

So you didn't have to remove any clips?

So you didn't have to remove any clips?

The Godzilla method mooshes the two little pointy bits that stick up on the retainer clip, that mate with two little holes drilled in the handlebar. Sometimes, the retainer clip stays in the bar, and the whole inner weight mechanism comes out, leaving a giant Frankenstein scar all the way down the inner weight rod from the retainer clip gouging it on the way out.

I needed to remove my bar weights to install the Barkbusters, I removed the end weights then re inserted the screw and used a vice grip inside of the screw head and hammered the inner weight out, took about a minute and came out clean.View attachment 8466
Got my Kaoto in today. Tried removing the retainer clip for about an hour, got frustrated and decided to do a search on Kaoto and found this. I figured I wasn't the only one that had this problem. 5 minutes later Kaoto is on.

Thank you very much for your help. I've done a little more "asking around" and the easiest way to do this is to slide off the entire throttle body to get at the two little holes the retaining clip tabs fit into so that they can be popped out. Once the clip is out of the handle bar the entire weight will just slide right out. Also it will be easier to install the new assembly I bought at my local dealer for 52 dollars.

Thanks Texican88 !!

Thank you very much for your help. I've done a little more "asking around" and the easiest way to do this is to slide off the entire throttle body to get at the two little holes the retaining clip tabs fit into so that they can be popped out. Once the clip is out of the handle bar the entire weight will just slide right out. Also it will be easier to install the new assembly I bought at my local dealer for 52 dollars.

Thanks Texican88 !!

The clip does not come out of the handle bar prior to the inner weight removal. It is "captured" in a groove machined in the inner rod mechanism. (or at least it should be; they can break and come out, or the pointy tangs that stick up can deform and the clip get bent enough to come free, but...)

Last edited:
I've done this job myself in order to fit a Kaoko friction throttle control - here's my pictorial guide - it broadly follows the advice already posted by others....

https://picasaweb.google.com/103542...&authkey=Gv1sRgCPujn_HJpKvqdQ&feat=directlink

Hope it helps someone
J

THANK YOU SO MUCH !!!

I just bought the Kaoko. I was really worried about the Godzilla / sledge hammer method described in the thread…lol

This is a much safer, and clearly layer out method. I have it booked marked and ready for when the delivery shows up...
:cool:

I started my weekend project tonight to install Barkbusters and Oxford heated grips on my wife's NCX. I was not looking forward to removing the bar end weights. I admit I didn't read this thread first but rather relied on my memory of having read other posts, maybe some in this thread quite a while ago. I probably should have re-read this thread again first.

Anyhow here is my method:

1. I unscrewed the bar end weights...no problem.
2. Since I was replacing the grips anyway, I cut the old ones off. That took about 45 seconds.
3. I loosened the brake reservoir and then took the two screws out of the throttle assembly so I could move it back to expose the holes for the bar end weight insert thing clip . That all went well.
4. I tried squeezing the clips that poke out the end of the bars with all sorts of pliers. Couldn't really get them squeezed enough. Cursed not having three hands.
5. Tried pressing in the tabs through the holes in the handlebar ends. Again realized that not having three hands would really be a great impediment to getting those stupid things out.
6. Called my wife out to help, showed her how to press on the tabs with two small screwdrivers while I pulled on the bar end screw I had partially threaded back in. Wasn't moving.
7. Yelled at wife, she went back inside the house.
8. Tried a few more things alone, realized I needed to apologize to wife as I still did not have three hands.
9. Wife came back out, helped by holding throttle sleeve out of way.
10. Took a small punch and smacked the crap out of the tabs through the hole in the handlebars. Repeated on the other tab. Throttle side finally came out.
11. Repeated that method bashing the tabs into submission on the left side. Yanked that sucker out finally too.
12. Apologized to wife again for yelling at her earlier.
13. Threw demon bar end weight insert things on workbench and swore at them, cursed them to hell, gloated and celebrated my victory over them, called them some more bad names and tersely advised them that they would NEVER be going back into the handlebars again. Silently thought about how I would get even with the Honda engineer who came up with that particular method of securing the bar end weights.
14. Packed up my shop for the night.

Stupid bar end weights...bite me!

Last edited:
Back