• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Bar Ends?

badgopher

Reaction score
Visit site
Need to yank off the 'one size fits none' handguards on my bike, never messed with bar ends, looks like there are none - anyone offer advice on OEM for cheap or a good set of aftermarkets?

Longer story: Bought a 2014 NC700X over the weekend. Previous owner went full touring silly on it (seat, mega-screen, bars and pegs, full GIVI luggage, handguard, horn, more things I keep finding as I do repair/maintenance). He seems to have put on a 'one size fits none' aftermarket generic handguard set, and the OEM bar ends were too long. So as far as I can tell there are none, and the only thing keeping the grips on is the bar from the handguard (and maybe a locknut?).

I've been riding for about 10 years but never messed with bar ends, because...why would I. Will I need to remove the killswitch assembly to get a bar end on the right side? Or the turn signals on the left?

Attachments

• 20220821_081052.jpg
    20220821_081052.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 12
  • 20220821_081113.jpg
    20220821_081113.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 12
When you talk about bar ends, are you asking about reinstallation of the OEM external handlebar weights?

The NC bars have an internal and an external weight on each side. That those hand guards are screwed into something suggests the internal weights are still there. If those are the stock screws, then all you need to do is remove the hand guards, and install OEM external weights with those screws. No removal of any grips or switch gear should be necessary.

The left handgrip should be glued to the handlebar, the right grip should be glued or friction fit on the throttle tube. The bar ends have nothing to do with retaining the grips.

If, by bar ends, you mean bar end mirrors, then that’s another story.

If you look at an illustrated parts listing from an online OEM Honda part retailer, you can see what parts are involved with the stock handlebar setup. In the illustration, item 9 is the internal weight and 10 is the external weight.

D7899C1C-CDD4-4D27-AB78-1B709E6370C5.jpeg

Last edited:
The only thing that concerns me is the nut inside the grip on the first picture. When I take the weight off the end of my 2014, there is no nut visible.

Take them off and post pictures of what is left behind. I’m not sure what that will take, but just keep taking the necessary stuff off till you get them off, then take some pictures.

This diagram might illustrate what you need when you remove the handguards. You might need two of 10, 12, and 13. Like 670cc posted the previous owner probably just removed the screw #23 and removed the external bar end then reinstalled 23 to secure the end of the hand guard frame. The grips are OEM and the internal bar end weights aren't that easy to remove so it's likely they are still inside the handlebar.

10 - P/N 53105-MK4-620 $10.73
12 - P/N 53107-MY1-000 $ 5.17
13 - P/N 53108-KR3- 770 $ 7.70

NC700X handlebar fiche.png

Last edited:
I'll take another look when I've got time this afternoon. Hopefully it's just the external weights that got removed. Make my life easier.

For @670cc - just the weights, I'm not doing bar end mirrors, sorry for lack of clarity.

The only thing that concerns me is the nut inside the grip on the first picture. When I take the weight off the end of my 2014, there is no nut visible.

Take them off and post pictures of what is left behind. I’m not sure what that will take, but just keep taking the necessary stuff off till you get them off, then take some pictures.
I hear you. That nut pictured is on the throttle grip side. It appears that it was added as a spacer to keep the throttle grip from rubbing and dragging on the hand guard frame during throttle grip rotation.

The stock bar ends have a shoulder that is *slightly* less than the OD of the 22mm diameter handlebars, so they actually extend the handlebar length a little bit (like a half inch). When you take the weights off, the left grip and right throttle tube do not extend to the end of the handlebar by that half-inch. I'm sure that's what the extra nut in the first pic is for -- making up that recess so the throttle doesn't drag on the handguard bracket. Seems like a funky setup to me.

The stock bar ends have a shoulder that is *slightly* less than the OD of the 22mm diameter handlebars, so they actually extend the handlebar length a little bit (like a half inch). When you take the weights off, the left grip and right throttle tube do not extend to the end of the handlebar by that half-inch. I'm sure that's what the extra nut in the first pic is for -- making up that recess so the throttle doesn't drag on the handguard bracket. Seems like a funky setup to me.

That about sums up the bike, yes :).

I mean, he ground the factory levers down to fit this aftermarket handguard setup, so funky is about right.

Overall, sounds like I can order some OEM bar weights and see if it works out.

I'd go with oem replacements. Order off RevZilla or Motosport or <preferred vendor>.

I also have one-size-fits-none hand guards. I fixed that by 3D printing spacers plus neoprene washers to make up the gap, and now they look awesome.

I swapped the old handguards off today, and found out the previous owner cut down the factory screws. So they won't even stick through the external bar end weights anymore. Because of course he did. Anyone know off hand what those screws are?

Once I get that sorted, should have the bike finale on the cosmetic, just need to do an oil/brake/coolant/valve job.

I swapped the old handguards off today, and found out the previous owner cut down the factory screws. So they won't even stick through the external bar end weights anymore. Because of course he did. Anyone know off hand what those screws are?

Once I get that sorted, should have the bike finale on the cosmetic, just need to do an oil/brake/coolant/valve job.
You can go to online OEM parts listings at dozens of internet locations and bring up an illustration like in my post #2 for your specific model and year. The part you want is item 23. The listing will include the Honda part number and possibly a screw diameter and length.

You can go to online OEM parts listings at dozens of internet locations and bring up an illustration like in my post #2 for your specific model and year. The part you want is item 23. The listing will include the Honda part number and possibly a screw diameter and length.

That's what I did, it's listed as a 6x65 oval, and I grabbed part numbers. But having some secondary confirmation if anyone had it handy was a nice sanity check. Also ended up replacing a few other screws, I swear the previous owner only had a US-standard set of allens and just hammered them into the metric.

Back