• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Question Barkbuster NC specific model

arkyleo

Reaction score
Visit site
Cold weather approaching so I have decided to add handguards to my 2018 NC750X. Barkbusters look like the best quality with a variety of changeable shields . i have a madstat windscreen that includes the "winglets" which are easily removable to clear the handguards and I already have installed up and back risers. My question (ok finally) --is there a specific barkbuster set for the NC and what is the model or part #. Thanks in advance as I have new $$ in my paypal account burning a hole in my pocket.

Barkbusters aren't any better than a lot of other brands of handguards. In fact I've seen and owned better for less money. The main thing Barkbusters does to sell to NC owners is say they are for our specific model. Maybe that's a security blanket for us but when I installed them on my NC I didn't really see anything all that non-universal there either. Second time around if I went with Barkbusters at all I would not do the Storm shields again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Screenshot_20200827-104250_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20200827-104312_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20200827-104333_Gallery.jpg

screenshot_20200827-104349_gallery-jpg.42763

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200827-104349_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200827-104349_Gallery.jpg
    797.7 KB · Views: 232
Why I put aluminum-frame handguards on mine: I've never dropped my bike or laid it down. But I've come back to my bike and shifting footing and wind dropped it once. Later after I had installed guards extreme winds pushed it over in a parking lot another time; the levers didn't get touched but that did break my windscreen and meter bay. ...As I do ride some non-paved roads and abandoned two-tracks occasionally out far from aid, I can't afford a broken lever. The guy I rode with from Texas had a bent lever too, from his bike getting blown over. We were both lucky the levers bent rather than snapped.

2016-08-28 13;14;43 by greenboy, on Flickr

The main reason I keep the plastic cups on mine is so that my gloves don't get peppered by bugs and rock chips (and perhaps high-speed rain though I have gloves for that). I've found that unless you have heated grips the wind protection in inclement weather is minimal anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why I put aluminum-frame handguards on mine: I've never dropped my bike or laid it down. But I've come back to my bike and shifting footing and wind dropped it once. Later after I had installed guards extreme winds pushed it over in a parking lot another time; the levers didn't get touched but that did break my windscreen and meter bay. ...As I do ride some non-paved roads and abandoned two-tracks occasionally out far from aid, I can't afford a broken lever. The guy I rode with from Texas had a bent lever too, from his bike getting blown over. We were both lucky the levers bent rather than snapped.

2016-08-28 13;14;43 by greenboy, on Flickr

The main reason I keep the plastic cups on mine is so that my gloves don't get peppered by bugs and rock chips (and perhaps high-speed rain though I have gloves for that). I've found that unless you have heated grips the wind protection in inclement weather is minimal anyway.
I think I will go for the aluminum backbone guards as I had one slow tipover when almost stopped when the car in front of me stopped abruptly (my fault for not being attentive). As Tim the tool man would say "the ground broke my fall" It bent my rt lever slightly but I straightened it. Any particular brand that you have found to be of good quality?

Yes there is, though you might not know it by looking at it. On Revzilla (my preferred shopping house) the sku is SKU: 1085398 . These say they aren't for the 750x but they are for the 700x. Also, when investigating the Barkbusters site I confirmed Barkbusters lists them for the nc750 as well. 30 minutes on the phone with Revzilla and it turns out that Revzilla is wrong and they should be listed as compatible. I'm planning on buying these as soon as I can afford.

I had the Givi guards on my 2015 DCT ... the mirror mount ultimate cracked due to the vibration and the design of the mount. They also hit my CalSci screen at full lock. I finally just went with Barkbuster Storms - should have done so from the start (buy once, cry once). They don't hit the screen at either left or right full lock, and have the sturdy aluminum backbone.

I would strongly recommend these........

I have them on the X-Adv and they are much more effective than normal plastic handguards in winter. They are semi rigid and I have fitted them over the skimpy plastic handguards that come with that bike. Properly fitted they wil protect Your hands from rain and cold, even at the lowest speeds.

If you really want hand protection in cold weather, get some insulated hand covers that fit over the handlebar ends. They look goofy but work great! I have a set on my other bike (NT700V) and have ridden on the interstate at 65 MPH with ambient temp at 35 F while wearing only unlined deerskin gloves and my hands felt completely comfy.

Neither of my bikes have heated grips and although I have elec gloves I dislike wearing them and I also dislike wearing my full winter gloves because I have lousy feel with them. At least to me, they feel like I'm trying to ride while wearing boxing gloves!

The ones shown below are different than the ATV hand protectors I have but you get the idea.

And I still haven't figured out how to adapt the covers to my NC because I have a DCT model and the parking brake lever is a real impediment.

Last edited:
If you really want hand protection in cold weather, get some insulated hand covers that fit over the handlebar ends. They look goofy but work great! I have a set on my other bike (NT700V) and have ridden on the interstate at 65 MPH with ambient temp at 35 F while wearing only unlined deerskin gloves and my hands felt completely comfy.

Neither of my bikes have heated grips and although I have elec gloves I dislike wearing them and I also dislike wearing my full winter gloves because I have lousy feel with them. At least to me, they feel like I'm trying to ride while wearing boxing gloves!

The ones shown below are different than the ATV hand protectors I have but you get the idea.

And I still haven't figured out how to adapt the covers to my NC because I have a DCT model and the parking brake lever is a real impediment.
That is exactly what I decided also. They can be moved from bike to bike in 5 minutes, allow you to wear thinner gloves but you are right--they look a little odd. i got the "Oxford" brand from Zilla. https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/oxford-super-handlebar-muffs?sku_id=1764512

The 2016 NC I just bought has Givi hand guards on it and I really like them for keeping wind/rain off my hands.
Off topic TacomaJD. Can you give me info on your hyway peg and bracket? I really don’t want the engine guard. Yours is first I have seen without the guard for the pegs. Thx

Off topic TacomaJD. Can you give me info on your hyway peg and bracket? I really don’t want the engine guard. Yours is first I have seen without the guard for the pegs. Thx
They look just like the Kuryakyn brand I have on my Harley. Had them on my ST1300 too and are pretty comfortable and have enough rubber on the face to keep your boots from sliding as you ride.

They are Kuryakyn Offset Highway Pegs with 1.35" clasps. Make sure you select the 1.35" clasp size, nothing else. I'm only running one of them on the left side of both my NC's, due to left leg problems. That's why you don't see one mounted on the right side.

Edit: I did, however, try to mount one on the right side of my first NC and it was more difficult to put on than the left side due to a bend in the frame rail.

Last edited:
They are Kuryakyn Offset Highway Pegs with 1.35" clasps. Make sure you select the 1.35" clasp size, nothing else. I'm only running one of them on the left side of both my NC's, due to left leg problems. That's why you don't see one mounted on the right side.

Edit: I did, however, try to mount one on the right side of my first NC and it was more difficult to put on than the left side due to a bend in the frame rail.
I had them on a Victory Tour Cruiser also and I used the "floor board" style which really supports the entire foot/boot and seemed to take stress off the lower leg. I put a small tab on the bottom that stuck up enough to keep my foot in place. That style may not be appropriate on the NC but it was nice.

Back