• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Battery - 12 volts and ~6amps?

• Thread starter Deleted member 8387
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 8387

Hello everyone,

I posted about the Amplink and this is somewhat related, but it is a question that a larger audience could respond to as I don't think people are reading my amplink thread. The battery on the NC750X has written on the side 12v / 11.8 amps I believe. I had a friend attach a meter to it and while it shows 12 volts of current, it only showed roughly an output of 6 amps or so. Is that normal? I am not an electrician by any means and perhaps this is affecting my amplink from working correctly.

A battery is rated current wise by its CCA, cold cranking amps.
Your battery should put out way more than 12 amps.
Resting volts should also be higher than 12.
IF your battery is over 3 years and your having some issue with current draw, its time for a new battery!
If your set on keeping your battery, have it load tested. Best way to determine the health of your battery and its ability to output what you need for power.

The 11.8 Ah figure is its amp hour rating which is the measure of what a representative battery should provide over a one hour period at a certain load or discharge rate. Due to Peukert's Law a battery will provide more amps over a fixed period if the discharge rate is lower and conversely it will provide fewer amps in the same period if the discharge rate is high. Bottom line if you are comparing batteries you should find out what the discharge rate and time is is for the advertised amp hour rating. It can be confusing.

Hello everyone,

I posted about the Amplink and this is somewhat related, but it is a question that a larger audience could respond to as I don't think people are reading my amplink thread. The battery on the NC750X has written on the side 12v / 11.8 amps I believe. I had a friend attach a meter to it and while it shows 12 volts of current, it only showed roughly an output of 6 amps or so. Is that normal? I am not an electrician by any means and perhaps this is affecting my amplink from working correctly.
I don’t think the battery capacity or current delivery rate has anything to do with your Amplink problem. When the engine is running at a sufficient RPM, the engine provides the current needed to run the bike, accessories, and recharge the battery.

Your friend’s reading of 6 amps current draw depends on what load is placed on the battery at the time of the test. For example, if the starter motor were engaged during the test, the battery could supply much more than 6 amps. If all accessories were off, the battery would be supplying almost no current.

As mentioned above, the 11.8 amp-hour rating is a measure of the battery’s storage capacity and current delivery rate over time, not the battery’s maximum current delivery capability.

Back