• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

battery drain problem - deeply pondered

Beemerphile

#1 Elite
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
...<snip>

The topic I wanted to present is my continuing issue, findings, and solutions related to battery discharge. This has happened three times in two years - always at the most inopportune time. The last being while solo camping at the Manicouagan Reservoir in Québec on my way to Labrador.

camping bike.jpg

After a 14 hour day of riding at road speed with the alternator charging over 14 volts, the battery could not even muster a pilot light on the dash after 12 hours at rest. I was able to jump start the bike by using my Antigravity MicroStart kit (highly recommended!) but I decided to scrub the trip and come home, not wanting to proceed into a desolate area while relying on my back-up to start the bike.

ms2.jpg

This issue hasn't happened frequently, but the problem is that when it DOES happen, it is torture on the battery, and after a couple of them, the battery is toast. It is kind of like the guy who is generally well-behaved but occasionally he tosses a hand grenade into a crowd. In researching this problem, I came up with a list of observations…

1) Not every bike has the problem. In fact, most do not.
2) Some problem bikes had added circuits and others were factory stock.
3) The problem is intermittent, not sustained.
4) The “event” proceeds without sight or sound (no lights, fans, pumps, etc.)
5) The problem drain is therefore unswitched, otherwise lights and such would be energized.
6) The “event” drains sufficient current to kill the battery in only a day or two.

One is not likely to diagnose an event that happens every six to twelve months with measuring equipment. When measured, it will be fine. That is why cardiac and apnea patients often have to wear recorders. The symptoms don’t show in the doctor’s office. I have recorders I can connect for parasitic drain, voltage, etc., but with the long interval, even recorders are unlikely to catch it happening. Therefore, it can only be analyzed from a theoretical standpoint with some kind of measure used to mitigate the damage caused by the event.

My analysis of the circuit schematic points to the only sensible source of intermittent drain to be the rectifier/regulator. It is unswitched and has power and ground available to it at all times. Any drain from the R/R would proceed without lights or sounds. In fact, in the diagnosis of parasitic drain, the Honda repair manual suggests testing drain current with and without the R/R attached to confirm whether it is the problem. So, it CAN do it, but we are back to diagnosing a very intermittent problem so we won’t likely catch it in the act.

The alternator on the Honda is of the permanent magnet design. Which means that unlike a wound rotor alternator that controls its output by field controls, the Honda alternator puts out full power at all times and relies on the regulator to control voltage by returning the unneeded power to ground. The Honda 31600-KVZ-631 rectifier/regulator is a MOSFET regulator rather than the simpler (and less efficient) SCR shunt design. Either way, it contains within its finned aluminum case an intentional ground path for current and a ready supply of battery juice to consume. The R/R costs about $200. I could replace it on the strength of my theory and wait a year or two to see if it consumes another battery, but if I am wrong I have wasted the $200 for the R/R and toasted another $100 battery. What I determined that I needed was some way to prevent the damage and inconvenience caused by the event.

I was aware of a number of “battery protectors” for automotive and marine use that disconnect the battery from the circuit once it discharges to a set value. This seemed to be the kind of device I was looking for. I have one of these on my Silverado because of all my ham radio gear.

car battery protector.JPG

In looking at a number of the devices like this, I concluded the following…

1) I don’t need the size and weight of a device that can handle 200 amps continuous and 1000 amps of starting surge. I only need 50 amps sustained and 250 amps of starting surge (with safety margin included).

2) Most of them trigger at voltages that I consider too low (10.0 to 11.8 volts). The NC battery is 90% discharged at 11.8 volts. I wanted a setpoint of 12.2 volts which relates to a 50% discharge.

3) A number of them presented what I considered too much parasitic loss of their own in order to operate the device. I made myself a somewhat arbitrary limit of 5 ma to shoot for.

After much digging, I found EXACTLY what I was looking for. It is a Model T5 Sport Battery Protector offered by STRS Energy.

T5 in package.jpg

It is very compact; programmable for both trigger time and voltage; and sufficiently rated at 80A / 250A. The stock unit comes preset for an 11.8 volt setpoint. I found that by phoning the order, I could get them to program it for 12.2 volts. They counseled me that they considered 12.2 volts to be too high, but they were willing to do it. If I am wrong, I can get it re-programmed. I did not want to invest in the $400 programming unit.

The contact information for STRS Energy is:

STRS Energy Inc.

8-04 Arnot Place

Fairlawn, NJ 07410
P- 201-968-7042

F- 201-548-5252

E-mail: [email protected]
T5

As usual, I made the installation more involved than it needed to be. I decided to locate the device in the mysterious covered compartment at the bottom of the Frunk. I have no idea what this neat little enclosed space is intended for, but it is perfectly sized and placed for the battery protector. The battery protector produces no heat, so the confined space is not a problem. I cut in a couple of bushings for wiring ingress and egress…

frunk bottom with grommets.jpg

The battery cables have big bent terminals on them. I did not want big taped up bolted connections to them and I did not want to cut the terminals off in case I wanted to back out of the modification. So, I removed the stock cable and replaced it with custom cables made from double runs of silicone sheathed 10 gauge wire.

The battery wire is removed from the supply side of the starter relay.

starter relay.jpg

Removing the battery side required removal of the fuse box.

fuse box removed.jpg

While the fuse box was removed, I inserted a fusible tap to the red/white wire to the clock and turn signals. The T5 has a switch that allows it to be used as a battery disconnect switch as well as a protector. With this tap, I can wire the bike’s computer straight to the battery so that the instruments and clock do not reset when the device is operated. Obviously, protection is reduced anytime a load is moved from the protected to the unprotected side of the switch, but in this case I thought that the convenience might be more important than the protection. I really do not believe that the bike’s computer with switch “off” can consume the amount of current that is causing this problem. Either way, if I keep the fuse in it’s original position, it will be switched off with the T5. If I move the fuse to the tap, the computer will remain lit. Easy choice, but best to do while the fuse box is in your hand and the magic wire is accessible. No downside.

wire tap red white.jpg

Here is the installation complete in the bottom of the mystery compartment. I placed the operating switch out the bottom left side of the compartment, which is easily accessible by reaching up under the left side cover.

T5 installed.jpg

So now I will install a new battery and see how it goes. If the “event” happens, I will know because the device will have operated. If it happens often, I will install the spare R/R that I purchased. Actually I am not sure that I am even going to keep the motorcycle. I built it for long distance expedition travel on unimproved roads, and I don’t think I am going to do any more of that. But even if I sell the bike, I do not want to pass off a known problem to someone else. This was built as a “best of everything” motorcycle and leave or stay, I don’t want it to have a big wart on it. If I am going to limit myself to regional travel on improved roads, I would rather ride one of my BMW’s. Especially since I finished the rebuild of the R1150R that I took to Prudhoe Bay and Inuvik. I also recently purchased a very pristine R100RS from a museum that needs badly to accumulate some miles after living it’s life to-date sitting on a polished oak floor.

leeta right side.jpg

leana rear.jpg

My best to my friends. I will be at the North Carolina Horizons Unlimited riders meeting until about Friday afternoon. The event is put on by a good friend of mine whom I haven’t seen in a while. If it works out going forward that the NC doesn’t get much use, it will be passed along to someone who will use it for the purposes for which it was built.

Lee

Last edited:
Good work on that! I agree with your findings. R/R's can be a pain like that.

I found it interesting to note that the Honda CBR1000 uses the same 31600-KVZ-631 R/R. I waltzed over to a couple of Fireblade forums and found, guess what? A small number of people scratching their heads and asking why their batteries suddenly go flat when the battery, the charging system, and the parasitic drain all test out OK.

Last edited:
I have only scratched the surface on the R/R front with my own nightmare tinker project (Track T-800cdi diesel),

But in this case could a good big enough diode suffice? Does this R/R have a voltage sensing wire attached to it to go after the diode?

(If all of the beemer-haters could just go play in a different thread for a few minutes, I have some information that I think may be helpful to my friends. I’d rather that this simple thread not be turned into another tiring discussion on whether or not I should be allowed to continue to live. You needn’t stress your pointy little heads that this is a “return of beemer”. It is not.)

Guess I have been away too long, what did I miss??

I have only scratched the surface on the R/R front with my own nightmare tinker project (Track T-800cdi diesel),

But in this case could a good big enough diode suffice? Does this R/R have a voltage sensing wire attached to it to go after the diode?

Nope. No sensing wire, it is all internal taken from the power leads. Just three phase leads from the alternator and a heavy (+) and (-).

Thank you so much again Lee, for your awesomely detailed, intelligent, and helpful posts. You are sorely missed here by myself and many others. What is, is, and that's a darned shame, but we love you buddy! :)

What is the specific tell-tale that the drain protector has operated? Does it light up or go through any sequential pattern at start up, to let you know if said event has occurred?

Does all this basically boil down to a potentially faulty RR? Wouldn't simply installing a new one and/or carrying a spare, as you mention, pretty much alleviate the issue? (based of course on the odds being lower that one would get two bad ones in a row, and that since it's not a super frequently reported problem as of yet, not a blatant design flaw...)

What is the specific tell-tale that the drain protector has operated? Does it light up or go through any sequential pattern at start up, to let you know if said event has occurred?

Does all this basically boil down to a potentially faulty RR? Wouldn't simply installing a new one and/or carrying a spare, as you mention, pretty much alleviate the issue? (based of course on the odds being lower that one would get two bad ones in a row, and that since it's not a super frequently reported problem as of yet, not a blatant design flaw...)

Yes, if the theory is correct, it boils down to a R/R with an intermittent fault. As I said, simply installing a new one assumes that: 1) the theory is correct, and 2) that the replacement won't be similarly defective (most likely true). The downside is that you don't know if you have fixed anything until it does not happen again. Kind of like saying that a cancer survivor is someone whose symptoms have not reappeared for greater than two years. How long do you wait to call "success"? Six months, a year, two years? If the theory is wrong, or the new one is defective too, then some time later the battery dies again with the new one and you are back where you started, though somewhat poorer. Carrying a spare (which I will do hereafter) doesn't keep the old one from toasting a good battery.

Since the cause and correction cannot be determined with certainty, I chose to install the battery protector to control its potential to cause damage and inconvenience until I or someone else can positively ID the culprit. My bike is now protected from the consequences and I can study it at leisure and not, as last time, at a lonely campground in Québec where even the ducks in the pond speak French.

Interesting, and appreciate the work. An auto-disconnector is much more handy than a manual disconnect switch one has to turn on and off every time one gets on and off the bike. Somehow, an R/R problem from Honda is unsurprising, since they have a LOOOOONG history of flaky R/Rs.

(If all of the beemer-haters could just go play in a different thread for a few minutes, I have some information that I think may be helpful to my friends. I’d rather that this simple thread not be turned into another tiring discussion on whether or not I should be allowed to continue to live. You needn’t stress your pointy little heads that this is a “return of beemer”. It is not.)

Guess I have been away too long, what did I miss??

WARNING! Don't go there. I will delete any further discussion taking the thread off track.

"My RR is in remission"

...:eek:

Ya, I hate having the spectre of electrical shenanigans hanging over my head too, but given the alternative (getting rid of the bike, or never using it for those more remote trips, I guess) what is the real way to proceed? I would have to (personally) do the fingers crossed and new RR installed/spare carried route, as barring me winning the lottery or life taking a nasty turn stage left, my NCX is the last bike I will own, I think. It's here for the long run, and if I could have a method to get around a potentially wonky RR, that wasn't completely onerous, that would be enough for me to shrug and soldier on.

The cause of me getting rid of my CX500Turbo was having to replace the stator every 22,000 km's. After the 4th one went and I had no idea how to prevent or lengthen the interval between cookings, I surrendered. Knowing what I know now, and having loved that bike more than any other I ever have, or will own, I still get super depressed about parting with it. :(

L.B.S.;107342I said:
would have to (personally) do the fingers crossed and new RR installed/spare carried route

The T5 battery protector is half the cost of a new R/R and only a bit more than a battery if that helps with the math.

"My RR is in remission"

...:eek:

Ya, I hate having the spectre of electrical shenanigans hanging over my head too, but given the alternative (getting rid of the bike, or never using it for those more remote trips, I guess) what is the real way to proceed? I would have to (personally) do the fingers crossed and new RR installed/spare carried route, as barring me winning the lottery or life taking a nasty turn stage left, my NCX is the last bike I will own, I think. It's here for the long run, and if I could have a method to get around a potentially wonky RR, that wasn't completely onerous, that would be enough for me to shrug and soldier on.

The cause of me getting rid of my CX500Turbo was having to replace the stator every 22,000 km's. After the 4th one went and I had no idea how to prevent or lengthen the interval between cookings, I surrendered. Knowing what I know now, and having loved that bike more than any other I ever have, or will own, I still get super depressed about parting with it. :(

Let's remember this battery drain is a pretty rare occurrence problem ( rare enough if you have the problem it like "winning" the lottery) in bad way.

I agree the R/R appears to be a perfect first suspect.
The only other suspect would be a relay sticking (but there is no evidence of that) but is very very common in the automotive world which these relays are common part. Evidence would be noise, lights, fuel pump. If the Fuel relay stuck the ECU would be powered and the fuel pump not run because there is no fuel being used.......and the might not be any other indications. ?????????? I may try jumping the relay just as a test ?

EDIT: IF the fuel cut relay sticks the fuel pump runs and makes noise, depending on how the bike is shut off. If the bike is shut off with the key and the relay sticks there is NO current flow. So the pump and ECU are not powered. If shut the bike down with the kill switch the pump runs and makes noise. So the sticky relay theory is dead in the water. The other relay (fan) makes noise when it "sticks", # 2 suspect has no merit.

Third suspect is the gauge cluster unit is not "sleeping". It has power all the time and there is a CAN line (communication) that has been known to cause problems in other products when it does not go to "sleep". This theory is iffy but should not be ruled out.

R/R is by far has the most merit and could run the battery down quickly in the right failed mode.

PS my turbo is on the first stator......but I have two in stock ;)

Last edited:
I found it interesting to note that the Honda CBR1000 uses the same 31600-KVZ-63 R/R. I waltzed over to a couple of Fireblade forums and found, guess what? A small number of people scratching their heads and asking why their batteries suddenly go flat when the battery, the charging system, and the parasitic drain all test out OK.

Yea, we have the same thing going on in the "CBR Forum". It's not uncommon to read that yet another CBR1000F (Hurricane) had to have its R/R replaced.
Although I've yet to experience the issue on my '93 Hurricane, I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Thanks for the detailed posting.

EDIT:
Not sure if it's helpful, but here's a document with a write-up about R/R's (Honda regulator rectifier Assy 31600-MS2-601) and potential options (note, although this relates to the Hurricane family of bikes, the 3rd party vendors may offer options for other bikes)
Most Hurricane owners upgrade to the unit sold by Electrex

Last edited:
Well here is an interesting finding... From 2013 up the part number of the R/R changed from 31600-KVZ-631 to 31600-MJJ-D31 and the list price went up from $278 to $344. I wonder if that is a silent admission of a problem and also wonder if the new R/R is retrofittable to 2012 bikes. I also wonder if people with 2013+ bikes have logged any problems, or if it is just us 2012 blokes. In other words, it is a change, but is it a change that makes a difference or just a move of the same spec item to a different sub-contractor? BTW, the CBR1000RR continued to use the 31600-KVZ-631 R/R in 2013, but changed also to the 31600-MJJ-D31 in 2014. Maybe our company insider HondaBikePro could find out. I'll try to PM him to see if he is willing to dig into the difference between the two units.

If there is a known problem that is going to be a known warranty issues the price usually goes down.
Warranty pays the dealer cost plus.........so cheaper part means less paid in the cost plus formula reimbursement.

Some interesting substitutions here. I have not researched them fully yet...

Home

ETA 08/30/14: have some discussions going with the owner of the above site regarding series vs. shunt and FET vs. SCR construction. I'll try to become less ignorant about R/R design before I say any more about a possible substitution for the Honda unit. One obvious advantage seems to be a cost of half or less than the OEM unit. I'm wishing I hadn't already purchased an OEM spare.

Last edited:
Back