• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Battery failure

Beemerphile

#1 Elite
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yesterday the battery on my NC took a fatal dump. It opened up internally and there is no path for electrons to go through it. It will not charge. Might help if I rode the damned thing occasionally. One year and 7,400 miles is pathetic. I looked around for a different brand of battery to fit the hole and came up empty. An Odyssey would have been nice. I have had bad results with both WestCo and Shorai so I did not go there. There are some cheap knock-offs of the Yuasa battery for about half the price, but I don't like to bet on lame horses.

So, as usual, unwilling to leave anything alone, I replaced the Yuasa YTZ12S with a Yuasa YTZ14S. Incredibly, it is actually a little bit smaller though higher in CCA and AH ratings. It was only about $5 more than the 12. We'll see, though I am snakebit when it comes to batteries. I am glad I don't have a pacemaker.

I had heard this issue on other newly sold Honda bikes, that the factory battery fail in a year. And it happened on my buddy's PCX and CBR600F also. So I'm curiously awaiting, will it happen to me?
I'm planning to install a voltmeter near the dash just for info

BTW, welcome back, Beemer :)

My bikes have this thing about WalMart. I can guarantee if I have a battery go bad, it is always in front of or near a WalMart. I believe they are sending out some sort of battery zapping signals that keeps me coming in for new batteries. When it comes to batteries I, like Beemerpile, prefer the Yuasa. Like Beemerpile said, if you don't use the battery any and every brand will go bad. A battery used every day most times last the longest.7.jpg

SmileyBigeEyesTongue.jpg

00.jpg

Last edited:
My bikes have this thing about WalMart. I can guarantee if I have a battery go bad, it is always in front of or near a WalMart. I believe they are sending out some sort of battery zapping signals that keeps me coming in for new batteries.

Are you saying that you can even get motorcycle batteries in these WalMart places you guys are always mentioning? :eek:

I've never seen one of these stores, they seem to have everything under the sun in them! I wonder if we have them up here?

Off to Google WalMart I go, lol

***edit***
Huh. I've been living under a rock, apparently. :eek: There are scads of the things, one in nearly every city! Who knew! :confused:

Last edited:
Welcome back Beemer!

Mine has 15 months more than 10K miles. So far so good, but I will cross my fingers just in case

I had heard this issue on other newly sold Honda bikes, that the factory battery fail in a year.
When i picked up my bike 3 months ago (2012 model but new), the battery was replaced before i drove home. It could not be charged and theefore replaced.
12.000 km (7.500 miles) until now and no problems :)

I still use the original Yuasa battery from my 2002 Goldwing. I pulled it from the Wing two years ago just for peace of mind but I'm still using it in my lawn mower. 11 years old and going strong. They may cost double but I usually buy Yuasa. Yuasa also has the Motocross brand that's the same battery but a little cheaper.

Greg

Are you saying that you can even get motorcycle batteries in these WalMart places you guys are always mentioning? :eek:

I've never seen one of these stores, they seem to have everything under the sun in them! I wonder if we have them up here?

Off to Google WalMart I go, lol
:confused:
Just start with a Zellars then add a Canadian Tire and a Safeway under one roof with common checkout lines. You will be close to having a Super Walmart.

Just start with a Zellars then add a Canadian Tire and a Safeway under one roof with common checkout lines. You will be close to having a Super Walmart.

Wow, it's hard for me to imagine buying a motorcycle battery, a loaf of bread, and a pair of jeans at the same place, lol! :D

edit- oh, and for the record, another Yuasa battery guy here for the most part.

1. Welcome back, we missed you
2. My battery is still going strong after 18 months, although I dont ride daily
3. I believe bike batteries are sourced locally and not from Japan Honda. Is this perhaps a reason to localize your rant?
:p

A bad regulator rectifier can kill a battery.

*edit*
FWIW, I just put a Shorai Lithium Iron battery in my VFR. It saved several lbs if it lasts.

Last edited:
A bad regulator rectifier can kill a battery.

*edit*
FWIW, I just put a Shorai Lithium Iron battery in my VFR. It saved several lbs if it lasts.

All of the voltages on the NC are fine. I had two Shorais. One lasted until I traded my TMax on the NC, and I don't know how much longer. The other died within three months. I do not trust the technology yet. Also optimum charging voltages are different. AGM is the highest tech I will get on board with. Wet lead acid batteries will rust out the frame and gel batteries have a poor reliability record. As far as local sourced, the OEM battery was a Yuasa from Japan.

The OEM Yuasa on my 2002 ST1100 was still going strong when I sold the bike last month. BTW, it was on a trickle charger during the Winter, which may have something to do with it.

Well, I guess mine went dead today. At least I'm guessing that is what happened. Tried to go for a ride and when I turned the key, nothing lit up on the display, and nothing happened when I pushed the starter button, not even a whirr. Nearly 1 year to the day since I bought it. Went for a ride on Monday and everything was OK. Didn't put it back on the battery tender since I thought I would ride again later in the week. I have not been diligent with the battery tender if I was going to ride a couple times a week, but I guess I should have been. Is one year about the average life for a motorcycle battery? It seems the one in my 1970 CL 175 lasted the entire time I owned the bike, three and a half years, back in the 70's.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back