• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Battery issue

davidc83

Super Mods
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Southern Indiana/Central Florida-part time snow bi
Visit site
This didn't happen on my Nc700x, but it did happen on my C50 Boulevard last week.
I rode the big girl into work. After work, C50 started right up, no lag, one/two cranks and vroom.
I rode around Clarksville Indiana doing some errands; stopped at Wally World, couple of other places. Bike started up, no hesitation.
Went to Best Buy to buy a micro SD card. Went out to the bike, turned the key and nothing, no electrical anything...oh crap.
Checked the typical-kill switch, side stand nothing... still no electrical output.
Removed the seat; check the battery connections-tight as tight can be. I don't carry a volt meter on the bike but wanted to test the battery; went old school-took two open end wrenches, made a upside V shape. One end on the positive, barely touch the ground and POW. Ok battery is good, bad battery would not have went POW, maybe a pstt, but not a POW.
Said heck with it, seat was off anyways. So, I loosened the battery connections, moved both the hot and ground wires to a 45' angle from original position.
Tightened the connection; turned the key and vroom....power, lights. everything.

This past weekend, removed the battery connectors; took a file and filed the battery posts, the hot and ground ends; placed some battery grease on the connectors and tightened everything up.
The C50 is purring like a kitten.

Moral of story: just because battery connectors are tight, doesn't mean electrons are flowing from battery to bike. Unseen oxidation under the battery connectors, unseen tarnish, microscopic salt builtup (can happen anywhere, not just the coasts) can stop the flow of electrons and hell sometimes electrical devices just need a complete disconnect and reboot....including batteries in our bikes.

I believe I had oxidation occurring between the wire connectors (ground especially) and battery. I have gotten wet many times riding home the past few weeks; the bike has been in some downpours at work in the parking lot; humidity is quite high (been in the 70-90% range even when not raining).

Sure enough, I was going to tell you to clean the connectors. My dad always smeared plain grease over all his battery connectors. While on vacation I replaced a suburban battery needlessly as I then had to clean all the connections. Learned my lesson but I have gone hi-tech and use the red battery terminal spray. Never in my life would I have tried the wrench trick.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Morale of the story: do your homework. Every spring I disconnect the terminals, use a sand paper on connections and lightly smear them with battery terminal grease. This should keep the terminals in good shape year round.

Never heard of anyone shorting a battery to test it. Not sure that this would provide useful information anyway. A battery whose voltage is low will still spark when shorted but might not have enough left to crank the bike.

But it's the same as licking a 9V battery, it still gives you a jolt, but you can easily tell how much juice is left by how much of a jolt. That's why I believe OP emphasized the "POW" when shorting.

That's hardly a valid test. Even a "dead" battery (one with a shorted element thus being 9v) will "POW". Also a good way to kill a battery.

To test a battery, at a minimum you charge it properly and you measure its voltage while out of the bike, then the drop while attempting a start. And for real testing you need a discharge test in a load.

To test a battery, at a minimum you charge it properly and you measure its voltage while out of the bike, then the drop while attempting a start. And for real testing you need a discharge test in a load.

Yes, everyone should carry around a full test suite of test equipment for trouble shooting when their bike won't start in a parking lot.

A permanent voltmeter can really help to avoid battery and charging system problems in time. It’s so easy and cheap...

Never caught by such surprises because I always have a clear view of their status.

Yes, everyone should carry around a full test suite of test equipment for trouble shooting when their bike won't start in a parking lot.
I am not saying you carry it around. And personally I keep a voltmeter at home, but I do not own testing equipment. So far I was still able to verify that two batteries were in need of replacement.

Anyway shorting a battery to check if it sparks is a dumb idea, period.

Back