• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Question Battery Reccomendations? Any reason I should go with AGM over Lithium?

Not IMHO for a NC750.

What are you gaining with an LiFePO4?
1) A physically smaller and lighter battery.
2) Better aging and life-cycle characteristics than an AGM. (It will last through more charge/discharge cycles and won't self-discharge like an AGM).

What are you losing?
Poor cold weather performance unless you warm up the battery by heavily discharging it for 1-2 minutes.
Greater cost.
Potential failure issues with the LiFePO4's built-in BMS (battery management system) electronics.
A special maintainer/tender needed with a setting for LiFePO4 charging.

TY for the info. smaller and lighter isn't really an issue for the NC, and cold weather means nothing as I'm in So Cal and am too much of a wuss to ride below 60. Self discharging doesn't mean much when you have a tender on it.

Really, what I'm getting for all that extra cost is the aging and life-cycle characteristics, and the juice doesn't seem worth the squeeze.

I considered this recently when I tested the battery, and it was weak under load, so time to get a new one.
I ended up getting an AGM ( YTZ14S) from Chromebattery.com for 38.10 ( 10% off coupon) including shipping. The most inexpensive Lithium battery is about 3X as expensive, and I really don’t think the Li battery will last 3 times as long- I usually get 4-5 years out of the AGM batteries.
I’ll wait for the price to drop…

I considered this recently when I tested the battery, and it was weak under load, so time to get a new one.
I ended up getting an AGM ( YTZ14S) from Chromebattery.com for 38.10 ( 10% off coupon) including shipping. The most inexpensive Lithium battery is about 3X as expensive, and I really don’t think the Li battery will last 3 times as long- I usually get 4-5 years out of the AGM batteries.
I’ll wait for the price to drop…
My thinking goes along with this. If the main benefit is goign to be longer lifespan, it really becomes a simple math problem. Does the extended life warrant the increase in price (also factoring in a new battery tender). The answer is pretty much a solid no. Good find on the AGM. Thanks for the tip, that's a good price.

Yep - Lithium much, much, much more than the cost of a AGM.
And as posted so good above not a lot is gained from that expensive one.
Its kind of like should I get an EV car or a gas burner.
Hmmmm for me - no EVs for now.

I went with a AGM from Walmart, $35. I'm a 4 season daily rider. Learned about cold weather riding below freezing in Denver. AGM batteries last longer.

I went with a AGM from Walmart, $35. I'm a 4 season daily rider. Learned about cold weather riding below freezing in Denver. AGM batteries last longer.
AGM lasts longer than what? Longer than lithium?

Potential failure issues with the LiFePO4's built-in BMS (battery management system) electronics.
@bigbird - great summary of the pro's and con's. I have a friend who put an EarthX LiFePO4 battery in his aircraft. He is on his fourth battery now. The first one, he accidentally shorted out and destroyed it instantly. (For AGM or standard lead acid, shorting the battery just produces a big spark, usually no harm done). The company was kind enough to send him a free (!) replacement. The second one had an 'internal error' on the controller. And the third died suddenly without warning. Maybe another brand would be better (or an automotive vs. aerospace version), but FYI YMMV

@bigbird - great summary of the pro's and con's. I have a friend who put an EarthX LiFePO4 battery in his aircraft. He is on his fourth battery now. The first one, he accidentally shorted out and destroyed it instantly. (For AGM or standard lead acid, shorting the battery just produces a big spark, usually no harm done). The company was kind enough to send him a free (!) replacement. The second one had an 'internal error' on the controller. And the third died suddenly without warning. Maybe another brand would be better (or an automotive vs. aerospace version), but FYI YMMV

A dead battery on an Aircraft is slightly more inconvenient than with a motorcycle.

Reactions: MZ5
A dead battery on an Aircraft is slightly more inconvenient than with a motorcycle.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯. The battery doesn't run the ignition system, just the electricals. The engine will keep running with a dead battery, but all of your radios, electrical instruments, and screens for navigation will go blank. And the starter motor.

Back