• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Bearing Replacement

StratTuner

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The venerable NC700X now needs a $1000 Transmission bearing replacement, and that's just opening estimate. (could be more!)

I'm not sure it's worth it.

The bike has 125,000 miles on it, and now it's starting to need major repairs.

Anyone want to buy a well-used, much modified, 2012 NC cheap? Sigh....

If you are a mechanic... please offer your advice...

Retired now, and I'm not sure it's wise to keep two motorcycles. What do you think?

That bike doesn’t owe you anything.
If it were my bike, I might try to fix it myself for fun or just sell it along to someone that wants a project.

You can always get another NC700X and transfer your mods over to it before selling it (or parting it out).

JT

yeah, I'm thinkin' that too...

used 2013 NC700X with 4,000 miles on it is $3,000. or i could wait until the 750X models get down that far....
still... I will miss the good people on this board.

it's labor that's killing me. the parts to fix it are less than $50. the labor for the estimated 10.5 hr. job is $990.00 !!

you sure got a good run out of this bike so congrats on that . concidering every moving part on the bike has 125K on it I would part it out . Just my opinion as i would wonder what would need replacing next , and where i would be when it failed.

Do you know where the failed bearing is located? Is it in a location that requires the upper and lower engine cases to be split?

I bought a whole spare engine for $150 with free shipping; the seller must have just wanted to be rid of it. The going price for NC700 engines used to be in the $500 range. They typically come from crashed bikes. If you installed an engine with low miles, that might be better than repairing one with high miles. Of course, you still have the labor involved, but perhaps not as much as with splitting cases.

It’s rare these days to buy something and use it until it wears out. You definitely got your money’s worth.
I’m sure someone will fix it and it’ll go for many more miles.

JT

At today’s shop labor rates and new parts pricing..............there are very few major rebuilds (on any vehicles) with high mileage and 8-10 years old .........that make economic sense. They are sold for parts or sold cheap to resellers that don’t have high labor costs.
Motorcycles it’s more of a problem since the selling price of a very used running and functioning bike is very low. Not many will invest $1000 in a bike valued at $1200.........modern cars and trucks the same only times the values by 10.

thanks. gentlemen. that makes me feel better about parting with it for $300.

I hope someone will repair and have some more adventures.

All good things...

~6 or 7 cents per mile isn’t bad for depreciation, if you ask me. Sorry to see you ‘go,’ Strat, but glad to have met you here!

It's always wise to keep 2 motorcycles! Especially when retired! All that free time! Lol

I am thinking more and more about picking up a 2nd NC, a 750X. And keeping my 700X mainly for track use. I'm also questioning if I should keep my cruiser too, as I really enjoy riding the NC more. The cruiser is better for cold weather riding though since it has the large windshield.

Go grab ya another NC and hang around!

Back