• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Beemerphiles will be beemerphiles...

*Update* . . . after a lot of research, investigation, visiting and talking with people at the dealership in Sturgis - ends up I bought a 2016 F800GT yesterday (28, April 2017). It wasn't ready to take yet, I'll have to wait until next week, but then it'll have the saddle bags I wanted too. Thanks for the information and conversation.
View attachment 33258
Awesome bike! I had an F800ST before my NC700S, and absolutely loved it. Great power, throttle response, and handling. Any of my minor complaints about it were fixed when they came out with the GT.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

*Update* . . . after a lot of research, investigation, visiting and talking with people at the dealership in Sturgis - ends up I bought a 2016 F800GT yesterday (28, April 2017). It wasn't ready to take yet, I'll have to wait until next week, but then it'll have the saddle bags I wanted too. Thanks for the information and conversation.
View attachment 33258

I couldn't help myself ;-) I also got a F700GS to upgrade from my CRF250L
2016 BMW F700GS Sakhir Orange Metallic.jpg

I've been drooling over beamers lately too... the newer GS1200's are just sick. I'm going back to school right now to finish up my degree and told the wife a brand new GS1200 R is going to be my graduation gift to myself.

Just picked up a used , low mileage ,and very cheap BLACK '98 R1100r . Missed my K75s but wanted something with a little more power. It's a little odd looking with those oil cooler ears. It has sat for a year so I dumped the old gas and jump started it [needs a new battery]. It purred like a kitten. The engine is really clean but there is lots of rust on all the bolts and pitting on the fork tubes. I'll probably have to rebuild the front brake master cyl as its sticking and locking the front brake. makes pushing it around a chore. It feels much heavier than my NC. Can't wait to take it for ride, but I've got to sort the front brake out first. will post a pic when I get it sorted and the tank back on.

Just picked up a used , low mileage ,and very cheap BLACK '98 R1100r . Missed my K75s but wanted something with a little more power. It's a little odd looking with those oil cooler ears. It has sat for a year so I dumped the old gas and jump started it [needs a new battery]. It purred like a kitten. The engine is really clean but there is lots of rust on all the bolts and pitting on the fork tubes. I'll probably have to rebuild the front brake master cyl as its sticking and locking the front brake. makes pushing it around a chore. It feels much heavier than my NC. Can't wait to take it for ride, but I've got to sort the front brake out first. will post a pic when I get it sorted and the tank back on.

I would recommend that you make sure first that it is the master cylinder causing the problem as there can be other causes of sticking brakes. Put the bike on the centerstand when this is happening and rotate the wheel. Disk brakes have some drag even when everything is good, but if there is too much it is pretty apparent. At this point you can also confirm which wheel is sticking. To check the master cylinder it helps to have two people. While one is turning the wheel by hand the other loosens the banjo bolt on the master cylinder. Be careful to capture any leaking fluid. If the wheel frees up, it is the master cylinder. To test whether the caliper is stuck, you open the bleeder valve. If the wheel is still stuck that means that the caliper was sticking. With a master cylinder problem, the wheel should free up identically by either loosening a banjo bolt at the master cylinder or a bleed valve at the caliper. If there is a difference, then the brake hoses could be collapsed or disintegrating. With the age of an R1100, I would be replacing the rubber hoses anyway as a precaution.

Enjoy. The R1100R is a very nice but under-appreciated bike.

EDITED TO ADD: Mechanical binds in the calipers might be the most common cause of sticking brakes in under-used bikes. If you get to the point of rebuilding the calipers, remember that you do not have to split the caliper halves (and BMW recommends against it). In the first place, it is not necessary in order to rebuild the calipers, and secondly BMW does not sell the little o-rings that are needed when reassembling them. I disassembled mine because I wanted to color change them from black to silver and finally found an equivalent part on a Kawasaki with Brembo brakes...

DSC03642-M.jpg

If you are curious, here are all the things that live inside the calipers...

DSC03639-M.jpg

Here we are rebuilt and ready to roll...

DSC03646-M.jpg

Last edited:
Last edited:
Back