• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Bent Gear Shifter Lever

rjcrtc

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
This weekend I found myself on a road with a mud covered patch. I slowed down, but not enough and instantly fell over when my front tire slid to the side. I am fine and my bike is fine except for the bent shifter and a big bruise on the bar end. Is the shift lever something that can be straightened or should I just get a new one? Is is something that a minimally able wrencher can handle, or should I take it to a dealer?

I have a DCT and no shift lever. but if your shift lever is anything like the foot brake lever, it is sheet metal and looks like it was made to be bent and re-straightened.

I have to wonder if shift levers are purposely made softer than normal to prevent internal damage to the transmission in a crash. It's a lot cheaper to straighten or even buy a new shifter compared with pulling the engine and splitting the cases!

If at all possible, take the shifter pedal off and use/beg/borrow/steal a large bench vise to hold it while you manhandle it back into shape.

Thanks for the comments. I was able to bend it back to position without removing it from the bike.

Back