• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Beowulf exhaust

bdeyes

Reaction score
Visit site
I do most of my riding exploring gravel roads, no traffic and when you pull over for a rest - silence and nature. Having encountered many deer, turkeys, birds etc. they don't seem to hear me until close to them. I came up behind a pedestrian walking down the road and he stated he didn't hear me. So I thought I would get a louder exhaust to help out this scenario but I didn't want window shaking excessive noise. After researching many exhaust pipes I decided on beowulf stainless steel pipe and it fit the bill exactly what I wanted - a little louder at idle and a bark when accelerating but not overpowering. I left the db killer installed as it would have been louder yet. It is also guaranteed for life, priced not bad and I received it in 5 days from the U.K. to Canada.

Attachments

• DSCN0447.JPG
    DSCN0447.JPG
    5.6 MB · Views: 36
  • DSCN0449.JPG
    DSCN0449.JPG
    6.9 MB · Views: 36
I actually prefer silence.

I do seem to be the odd man out on the concept of exhaust noise.

It seems like the obvious solution is a forward facing exhaust pipe the directs the noise forward of the motorcycle to alert (annoy) everyone in front of you, rather than behind where you have already been. It seems so simple but I’ve not seen anyone yet employ that method.

Don’t forget that the motorcycle does come equiped with a horn. I use the horn to alert squirrels and deer I see on the road ahead of me so they will scatter early rather than wait until I get there to make their move. A short tap of the horn can alert a pedestrian, too. The horn can make noise only when needed, instead of all the time.

It seems like the obvious solution is a forward facing exhaust pipe the directs the noise forward of the motorcycle to alert (annoy) everyone in front of you, rather than behind where you have already been. It seems so simple but I’ve not seen anyone yet employ that method.
. . .
Ah the doppler effect.

As for a forward facing exhaust, one would think that would create all sorts of back pressure issues as the exhaust would act as an air scoop unless heavily baffled, which would likely defeat the purpose of trying to deflect noise to the front.

The low speed I go (50,60,70 kph) it is better than I had. As far as the horn goes, I don't necessarily see the deer in the corn or the squirrel in the ditch. Regardless I am happy and that's all that counts.

Ah the doppler effect.

As for a forward facing exhaust, one would think that would create all sorts of back pressure issues as the exhaust would act as an air scoop unless heavily baffled, which would likely defeat the purpose of trying to deflect noise to the front.
Good point, but I’d think turning the pipe exit outward or downward could eliminate forced air induction. Blasting noise, if that is one’s goal, out the sides would still make more sense than directing the noise rearward.

I guess on electric motorcycles they could use a forward facing speaker to broadcast pre-recorded or synthesized internal combustion engine noise. That is, until people get used to the sound of electric motors In vehicles. Then surely some owners will figure out a way to make the electric motors noisier. Maybe some reduction gear whine?

Only time a hard throttle blip on the typical aftermarket NC muffler will alert someone to the side or in front of you is when you are fairly close, and at a moderate or lower speed. Which is actually when it comes in handy. But I don't see it helping you avert deer at highway speeds ; }

A day on a 250 to 650 dualsport with FMF's quietest muffler compared to a day on the NC with that typical aftermarket? Well, at the start of the day it's kind of cool to hear that FMF, but at the end of the day you'll likely wish for just about any can on the NC to avoid noise fatigue.

Only time a hard throttle blip on the typical aftermarket NC muffler will alert someone to the side or in front of you is when you are fairly close, and at a moderate or lower speed. Which is actually when it comes in handy. But I don't see it helping you avert deer at highway speeds ; }

A day on a 250 to 650 dualsport with FMF's quietest muffler compared to a day on the NC with that typical aftermarket? Well, at the start of the day it's kind of cool to hear that FMF, but at the end of the day you'll likely wish for just about any can on the NC to avoid noise fatigue.
I rarely do highway speeds - mostly lower speeds where I ride. Because the seat sucks I don't do long distance - 1-2hrs. tops.

Or Seat Concepts, Sargent, Saddlemen, or Shad seats.

I once owned a used DR650 with an FMF exhaust. One of the first things I did was get a quieter pipe. Exhausting to listen to a loud pipe all day.

The low speed I go (50,60,70 kph) it is better than I had. As far as the horn goes, I don't necessarily see the deer in the corn or the squirrel in the ditch. Regardless I am happy and that's all that counts.

I agree. In the end, this is all that matters. If you are happy, then... mission accomplished !

Back