• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Best seat fix, what say ye?/How are Shad owners liking theirs?

DanR217

Reaction score
Visit site
Looking and looking over the forums and internet for a solution to the fabulous 700X's seat and right now I'm leaning towards the Shad Comfort Seat. Those that have the Shad, how are you liking it? Any issues still with the install?

I know seat issues have been talked about quite a bit before, but it looks like not for at least a week, so I thought I'd start up the topic again.

Your inseam can limit which solution is right for you.

I went Corbin as mine is too short for any seat that raises the seat height.

The Shad seat appears to be thicker than stock, but the foam is softer. When it breaks in, the seat height will be about like stock, but without the squared off edges that the stock seat has. The Shad will provide more cushion against the frunk, but it does not entirely fix the slope issue. If you try to sit way back on it, you will end up rolling forward back into the pocket it creates.

I've tried stock, Shad, Sargent, Seat Concepts, and Saddlemen (all the "S" brands?). I've sold my Shad, and I'm currently enjoying a Saddlemen, although it is not 100% perfect. My inseam is 32". The only one of the S seats that was too tall for me was the Seat Concepts.

670, do you like the Saddlemen the best? Is it only available in a kit? I was kind of looking for a fully made replacement.

How about the Sellerie, anyone have any experience with that? (It's an "S" brand 670, better get on it ;) )

Last edited:
I am 186 cm high, and love my Shad seat. Last sunday was the big test. An ironbutt. (1699km in 20 hour) No bad butt pain.

km.JPGHi

Last edited:
670, do you like the Saddlemen the best? Is it only available in a kit? I was kind of looking for a fully made replacement.

How about the Sellerie, anyone have any experience with that? (It's an "S" brand 670, better get on it ;) )

My understanding was that the Sellerie was only a cover, and it retains use of the stock foam. Hence, I bypassed it even though it's an S seat. :)

In my opinion, of the seats I mentioned trying, the Saddlemen and the Seat Concepts are the only ones to eliminate the forward slope. The shapes are similar on the two, but the SC is taller and its wider at the front than the Saddlemen. The Saddlemen has gel in it too, though I can't say that's either good or bad. I like the Saddlemen best because of no forward slope, no brand name banner on the side, and a shape that allows me to sit back or forward with decent comfort. However, it's not perfect, as my GL1800 seat is still good for more miles.

I have not tried a Corbin for the NC (although I had one in the past on an ST1100), so I can't offer any opinion on Corbin.

Last edited:
I upgraded to a Shad seat several months ago. I did my first long trip a couple of weekends ago and each break was not having to stretch or give my hind end a break. Noticeable difference. It did bring up the height a little but not too bad.

I've had my Shad seat for about 5 months and have been very happy with it. I haven't done many long rides yet with it, but am planning a 1,000 mile trip in October which will be the real test. Unlike the original seat where my butt was displeased in about 10 minutes, I have no fears about climbing on for a couple hours at a time on the Shad seat. I did do a loop around the Bay Area earlier in the summer, probably about 3 hours riding total and I had no problems at all. I'm about 5' 11", with a 32-33" inseam.

I've got a Shad, but the forward slope still bothers me. I added an Airhawk pulled way forward and that helps. I've only got a 29" inseam, so I have trouble with height. I'm currently tip toes at stop lights.
I think I'm going to go for a Russell once I save up the cash.
I've had Seat Concepts on other bikes and loved them, so seeing that a lower version is available is encouraging.

Hmmm... Okay, now I think I am leaning towards Seat Concepts or Saddlemen. Does Saddlemen still include a voucher to install the foam/cover on the OEM pan for $20 if you send it to them? Does SC offer anything like that?

I'm also interested in the Shad, but I watched a guy on Youtube install the Shad on his NC and then the pillion would'nt pop up like it is supposed to when you get gas. Has anybody encountered this problem w/ Shad?

I'm also interested in the Shad, but I watched a guy on Youtube install the Shad on his NC and then the pillion would'nt pop up like it is supposed to when you get gas. Has anybody encountered this problem w/ Shad?
Yes. You just have to apply some pressure to the top of the pillion seat as you're turning the key. After awhile you won't need to do this as the rider's seat softens and the foam settles some from the rider's weight and the heat of the sun.

Do a search for Corbin on here and you'll find a ton of older posts from people saying the fitment is horrible. A few fit fine, but more of them fit poorly which means poor consistency. One dealer replied he won't even sell Corbin anymore because when they fit poorly and the customer doesn't buy them, the dealer is stuck with the charge. Shad looks to be a safer option, with more people satisfied than not on fitment.

Do a search for Corbin on here and you'll find a ton of older posts from people saying the fitment is horrible. A few fit fine, but more of them fit poorly which means poor consistency. One dealer replied he won't even sell Corbin anymore because when they fit poorly and the customer doesn't buy them, the dealer is stuck with the charge. Shad looks to be a safer option, with more people satisfied than not on fitment.
Do not agree with your statement! I currently ride with a Corbin, and the fit is fine. I've also purchased a Shad, Saddlemen, Sargent, Seat Concept and I still like the Corbin the most!
I also ONLY purchase the rider's seat, (except the Saddlemen came with rider's and pillion)
DIFFERENT BUTTS DIFFERENT SEAT CHOICES!

Last edited:
Do not agree with your statement! I currently ride with a Corbin, and the fit is fine. I've also purchased a Shad, Saddlemen, Sargent, Seat Concept and I still like the Corbin the most!
I also ONLY purchase the rider's seat, (except the Saddlemen came with rider's and pillion)
DIFFERENT BUTTS DIFFERENT SEAT CHOICES!

You don't need to agree, it's not my statement. It's the statement of MANY others including Southbound Honda who I believe was the dealer I'm referring to. I had the opportunity to buy a Corbin dirt cheap but after researching and reading all the horrible reviews on here (again, none written by me), I passed. I'd say 75% had problems, and maybe 25% had good luck. Guess you're one of the lucky ones and I'm happy for you, but I'm going with the majority opinion.

One of my best mods so far, 1000 km. was a pain on the stocker, tried pads, bike shorts, seat riser mod, nothing worked as good as the Shad does for me but not all butts are the same. Good set of highway pegs and a barn door sized wind screen in combo with the Shad made for a much more comfortable ride for me. Ride safe.

Back