• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Bhp

johnakay

Site Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
just read in the MCN that the bhp on the 750 is 54.
the DCT already produce 51 so not a lot of gain.
the standard is 47bhp.

It's all perspective 7bhp may not seem much but compared to the standard it's 13% increase, which is quiet significant. Imagine a 13% increase on a 500bhp vette...65bhp. I'm just saying its nothing to shake a stick at.
However I'm not going to trade my 700 in on a 750 either (I can't I live in America), but given a choice I wouldn't.

Gigs

I Have not heard that the DCT and manual had different ratings...
My recollection (anyone feel free to clarify this for me) is that the UK (and the rest of europe) got a throttled down NC700x that only had 47hp to qualify for some restrictive licensing.

In the US I thought we had 51 hp.

So the gain from 51 (just throttling it back up) to 54 (adding an extra 75cc) seems to be fairly small, to me..

Just what I've pieced together from what I've read... but it's hard to figure this out when there are so many location based differences between the same model year of the same bike.

aye and it'll be rare as hens teeth...
hens_teeth-590x409.jpg

I Have not heard that the DCT and manual had different ratings...
My recollection (anyone feel free to clarify this for me) is that the UK (and the rest of europe) got a throttled down NC700x that only had 47hp to qualify for some restrictive licensing.

In the US I thought we had 51 hp.

So the gain from 51 (just throttling it back up) to 54 (adding an extra 75cc) seems to be fairly small, to me..

Just what I've pieced together from what I've read... but it's hard to figure this out when there are so many location based differences between the same model year of the same bike.

That is also my understanding which may play a part in why the U.S. isn't getting the 750 yet.

Everyone seems to be focusing on the horsepower number as the be-all end-all thing here as if it's the only change, and because it's such a small difference, it makes no difference.

I wouldn't care if the 750 ended up losing a few horsepower, if it gained a nice amount of torque (which it did) and I prefer the "updated" fuel level lcd block count, and how it would do a better job at showing fuel level before going to reserve. (IMO)

The theoretically more relaxed gearing and how that might lower rpm's in 6th gear at highway speed is right up there for a like by me as well.

I haven't 100% confirmed the gear indicator being added, but if that's true, I really would like to have that too.

Power charts indicate the NC700X makes a range of 14 to 23 horsepower at the rear wheel between 2000 and 3000 RPM. That would be at full throttle. I probably never go over half throttle, quite often using only 1/4 throttle. I figure I may be using only 5 to 20 hp most of the time I ride. That the NC750X might gain 5 or 8% in peak power over the NC700X is irrelevant to me.

On another topic, caution should be used when thinking torque as being independent of horsepower. That's like saying time is independent of speed. Speed depends on time. Horsepower depends on torque.

Torque (lbs-ft) * RPM
--------------------- = Power (hp)

If you increase the torque at a given RPM, you also increase power at that RPM, no if, ands, or buts. What you can do is change the shape of the power curve, or the power's peak on the curve. But if you say you want more torque at a lower RPM, you are really saying you want more power at a lower RPM.

An example I always use is an engine that makes 1000 lbs-ft of torque at 10 RPM. Wow!, you think, that's a lot of torque! Oh, but guess what, that's only 1.9 horsepower, and it's not going to do much for you in a motorcycle.

Power does it all. Torque is just a component of the power equation.

Greg

its funny how things have changed over the years back in the days when you had a bike that could do a genuine ton ,
its a bloody fast bike.
also if you could get an extra 1 or 2 bhp through mods and tuning wow that was a big increase.
if we only knew what difference it made;)

as for gear indicator etc we have all that on the DCT.
no doubt we'll find out the true figures for the 750 soon once its up for sale.

Johnakay,

First, I don't think you are differentiating between claimed horse power and measured HP. Claimed HP is what the manufacturer claims and is generally measured inside the engine. It cannot be tested without building an extremely complex system to take power directly from the crankshaft. Claimed HP is roughly as trustworthy and as useful as a politician's promise. This gets even stranger when an engine is detuned for some reason (like to qualify as a beginner bike). I could be wrong but I believe that is where the 47 HP figure comes from relative to the NC700.

Measured HP is what is found delivered to the rear wheel on an independent dynamometer by people not employed by the manufacturer. Even mesured power is subject to some variation due to diferent types of dynos, variations between between operators, temperature and humidity, etc.

In the US independent dynos have reported 45 to 48 HP from the NC700. If the 750 puts 54 HP to the rear wheel that would be a significant increase, 7 to 9 HP is on the order of a 20% increase. That seems hard to believe, the displacement is only going a little more than 10%.

While it is lots of fun for people like me this conjecture is all nonsense until we see a 700 and a 750 on the same dyno on the day day by the same operator.

Finally, thank you to 670cc for a good explanation of power Vs. torque. Can't believe how often I read/ hear people who don't understand this very important concept. As my man Gordon Jennings put it "All the torque in the world at zero RPM will not pull the skin off a grape".

Still hoping for an NC750 in the USA,

Goose

Last edited:
Torque is how hard an engine punches.

HP is how fast those punches can be delivered.

People buy hp but ride torque.

I'm not differentiating the bhp at all just stating a printed word in the paper whether its from the engine or back wheel.
and quite frankly I dont care what the new 750 put out I'm happy with what I've got now.
all I'm bothered about is good mpg and pulls nicely two up and this NC700DCT does it for me.

You are overlooking a major thing here. While you are not gaining much horsepower, what you are gaining is more torque. 4mm overbore on a stroked crank will increase the torque. With the little horsepower gain, along with more torque, gear indicator and MPG now, I would consider selling my current NC for this.

I'm sure the insurance would be more as well.

You are overlooking a major thing here. While you are not gaining much horsepower, what you are gaining is more torque. 4mm overbore on a stroked crank will increase the torque. With the little horsepower gain, along with more torque, gear indicator and MPG now, I would consider selling my current NC for this.

I'm sure the insurance would be more as well.

Until we see power curves we are just assuming where in the RPM range the power is being added. Since the engine is becoming more square, you might expect the power gains to be more toward the higher RPMs, not the low end.

Greg

Last edited:
If both bikes can run 80 mph all day long, that I am sure both bikes can do. So, for the extra cash, I would rather had seen a shaft drive, than the horsepower. That would have gotten me to change. Lots of mid size street bikes out there with shaft drive, but no one builds a mid size shaft drive adventure bike.7.jpg

SmileyClown.jpg

00.jpg

Last edited:
The grass is always greener. I would be the first one to moan piteously and gnash my teeth, if the 750 turned out to have (real world) measurablely less mpg numbers than my 700, and the torque/hp felt negligible, or the revised gearing meant a slightly less perky first gear, for no throttle idling along...:rolleyes: :eek:

I'd never hear the end of it, and deservedly so, lol ;) :D

Come on guys...not the BHP or MPG.

The ONLY REAL REASON to buy a new NC7XX, or NC8XX etc,...
is.....(drum roll)....
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

If it has a new big FRUNK that comes with a built-in light, a refrigeration option and it can sit 2 helmets and 1 six-pack together.

:p

Now....that is a REAL REASON to switch bike.

I for the life of me cannot stand a shaft driven motorcycle. Just my own personal preference. And yes, I've rode 4 of them up to a goldwing. I just do not like em.

Back