• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Bicycle riding

670cc

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Mods
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Today I rode 50.4 miles on the ol’ 1975 Schwinn. The weather was 65*F with winds 5-10 mph. Yeah, I know it’s not a motorcycle but I’m doing the bicycle thing for a few weeks. Are any forum members regular bicycle riders?

ECC583F1-A598-4EB8-9B00-065CC8FD14BF.jpeg

28C75CC6-9E24-430C-893F-820A002649CE.jpeg

Last edited:
Dang 50 miles on a bicycle. Very impressive. I rode just 4 miles further than that on my NC today, and sure wouldnt have wanted to pedal that whole way.

Dang 50 miles on a bicycle. Very impressive. I rode just 4 miles further than that on my NC today, and sure wouldnt have wanted to pedal that whole way.
It might have taken you an hour or less on the motorcycle to do your 54 mile ride. I was probably on that bicycle for 5 hours. Fortunately the area I rode is nearly flat all the way.

Last year I put 4,935 miles on my bicycle which was more than I put on my NC and car combined.
That is really awesome, both for the benefit to your health and the health of the planet. I try but I am nowhere near your achievement.

50 miles on a standard bicycle is no mean achievement and well beyond my capabilities nowadays unless the going is flat, and even then id say 40 miles is my limit.

After a 25 year hiatus because of arthritis and the need for knee replacement etc, I returned to cycling nearly four years ago with the assist of some "E". As I live in a very hilly area and am now aged 72 it was the only way I was ever going to get back to pedalling. Since then I have covered about 8000kms mostly on the ebikes, but some on flat going on the normal mountain bike. In short the Ebike was life changing for me when I thought cycling was finished for me. I love cycling with or without assist, but the problem is that it vies with motorbikes for my attention.

50 miles on a standard bicycle is no mean achievement and well beyond my capabilities nowadays unless the going is flat, and even then id say 40 miles is my limit.

After a 25 year hiatus because of arthritis and the need for knee replacement etc, I returned to cycling nearly four years ago with the assist of some "E". As I live in a very hilly area and am now aged 72 it was the only way I was ever going to get back to pedalling. Since then I have covered about 8000kms mostly on the ebikes, but some on flat going on the normal mountain bike. In short the Ebike was life changing for me when I thought cycling was finished for me. I love cycling with or without assist, but the problem is that it vies with motorbikes for my attention.
Good to hear, Griff.

When riding in the slightly hilly area around my home, 30 miles is more my fun limit on a standard bicycle. Often the winds make bicycling unfeasible on spring days, and the heat rules out many summer rides. The temptation to ride a motorcycle instead cuts into bicycle time.

I ride my recumbent bike or trike almost everyday--usually about 10 miles---regular bikes periodically and put miles on a rowbike weekly when the weather is better--an hour on the rowbike and you are done! It is ridden around the perimeter of a dead mall parking lot that is about 2km in circumference ( too twitchy and weird to ride on the street)

I picked up a pair of bents for me and the lady a few weeks back. They need a little bit of work to ge them set up rights but I can't wait to really get riding once it warms up. Usually we just MTB, it's been a while since I did any real road riding.

I picked up a pair of bents for me and the lady a few weeks back. They need a little bit of work to ge them set up rights but I can't wait to really get riding once it warms up. Usually we just MTB, it's been a while since I did any real road riding.
Once you go bent you don't go back!

Sold my Cannondale road bike today. Looking to move a Specialized HardRock to pay for most of the Trek that I've got my eye on.
Cannondale is absolutely an apex bike. I'm not sure if you have Trek Stores near you but we do. I had a problem with a bike I purchased from the store. It went back in the shop 5 times, never fixed. The owner of the franchise asked me to bring the bike back to the store. When I arrived, he had 3 large frame hybrids for me to try out and asked that I ride each one of them. After testing, he asked which one I liked the best and I told him it was the DS but it was a trim level that doubled the price. He said to give him a half hour to get my lights, cages, sensor, etc., installed and the bike was mine for no additional charge. For me, that level of customer service is unheard of.
Today I rode 50.4 miles on the ol’ 1975 Schwinn. The weather was 65*F with winds 5-10 mph. Yeah, I know it’s not a motorcycle but I’m doing the bicycle thing for a few weeks. Are any forum members regular bicycle riders?

View attachment 51381

View attachment 51382

I'm an off again on again rider. I have not done 50 in probably 25 years but do hit the 30s. My weekday rides are 15 to 18 miles. I ride a Trek DS. Like motorcycling, I prefer warm weather rides. It sounds like you built up that distance very quickly. Quite an accomplishment. 5 hours or not, that is really good endurance all the way around. Are you monitoring your heart rate while you ride?

Cannondale is absolutely an apex bike. I'm not sure if you have Trek Stores near you but we do. I had a problem with a bike I purchased from the store. It went back in the shop 5 times, never fixed. The owner of the franchise asked me to bring the bike back to the store. When I arrived, he had 3 large frame hybrids for me to try out and asked that I ride each one of them. After testing, he asked which one I liked the best and I told him it was the DS but it was a trim level that doubled the price. He said to give him a half hour to get my lights, cages, sensor, etc., installed and the bike was mine for no additional charge. For me, that level of customer service is unheard of.

I'm an off again on again rider. I have not done 50 in probably 25 years but do hit the 30s. My weekday rides are 15 to 18 miles. I ride a Trek DS. Like motorcycling, I prefer warm weather rides. It sounds like you built up that distance very quickly. Quite an accomplishment. 5 hours or not, that is really good endurance all the way around. Are you monitoring your heart rate while you ride?
I don’t monitor my heart rate, as the pace I’m riding is quite mild. I get a little leg burn when I get a headwind, or climb a hill, but it does not exhaust me. I prefer, as I would guess most riders do, to ride at a sustainable speed that can go on for hours, rather than do a sprint.

Believe me, I am no expert at serious adult bike riding, but as a kid, and through high school, my friends and I just rode everywhere because that’s how we got around, got our freedom. Now retired, I’ve lately had the time to come back to this enjoyable two-wheel activity.

I have a mountain bike and do forest trails ocasionally, but pavement riding is more accessible. Also, I don’t feel the need to get a new, or more expensive bicycle, as the one I have does what I need well, which is mainly to get me some exercise. The bicycle I’m riding currently is 48 years old, and I bought it new, probably with newspaper route money.

I don’t monitor my heart rate, as the pace I’m riding is quite mild. I get a little leg burn when I get a headwind, or climb a hill, but it does not exhaust me. I prefer, as I would guess most riders do, to ride at a sustainable speed that can go on for hours, rather than do a sprint.

Believe me, I am no expert at serious adult bike riding, but as a kid, and through high school, my friends and I just rode everywhere because that’s how we got around, got our freedom. Now retired, I’ve lately had the time to come back to this enjoyable two-wheel activity.

I have a mountain bike and do forest trails ocasionally, but pavement riding is more accessible. Also, I don’t feel the need to get a new, expensive bicycle as the one I have does what I need well, which is mainly to get me some exercise. The bicycle I’m riding this week is 48 years old, and I bought it new, probably with newspaper route money.
I get it completely on not wanting the new one. I hope my comments were not misconstrued as suggesting you should purchase a new bike. I quoted two posts., explaining any confusion.

Edit: Seeing longer distances in shorter times with increased cardio capacity are elements I like to measure.

Last edited:
Used to do bike touring; Nova Scotia, by flying into Yarmouth and flying out of North Sydney, the Cabot trail (that one just about killed me), PEI (not as flat as you'd think) and Gaspe. The last one was twenty years ago on a Rans Rocket recumbent from Ottawa to the outskirts of Toronto. Last season my wife bought an E-bike, so I tuned up the Rans for family rides. Nowadays I run for exercise; half the time for twice the pain....

Doing any serious mileage on a 1975 is a feat! I had a Kuwahara road bike (probably early 80's) a decade ago and it was decently sporty, but still felt old. Recently, I did a full rebuild of a Raleigh Technium 460 and that one is definitely more of a bear, or I was more in shape 10 years ago.

Back