• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Bicycle riding

I have a Giant bicycle which I have owned for 5-6 years. I like to ride but cars scare me while riding it, from idiots who don't pay attention to the ones who purposely try to run you off the road. I do need to start riding it again though. May have to haul it to the nearest bike path-6 miles from my house and it it there...

May have to haul it to the nearest bike path-6 miles from my house and it it there...
I have a 80+ mile long bike and hike trail near me. There are just to many inconsiderate people using it. I have 3 bikes in the basement that haven't been used in 10+ years. I feel its unsafe to ride on the roads in my city and the city won't let adults ride on the sidewalks.

Do I ride? Do I ride...

Not as much as I used to, and mostly on a stationary these days. But yeah. Ex bike racer, triathlete, and now I make my own bike frames (and for others as well) under my own shingle. That bike in my avatar is one of my own creations. I stopped tracking my lifetime total miles many years ago, but at that point I was riding more than driving, to the tune of about 15K a year. Done it all -- road, MTB, track, gravel, TT... The only type I haven't done is trials.

Does a DIY ebike count?
It's a bit between motorcycle and bicycle, 1500watt middrive motor, easily reaches 50+kmph speeds, usually I cruise around 40kmph. Done 20000km in less than 2 years.

Absolutely love this thing.
IMG_20220621_212057.jpg

Does a DIY ebike count?
It's a bit between motorcycle and bicycle, 1500watt middrive motor, easily reaches 50+kmph speeds, usually I cruise around 40kmph. Done 20000km in less than 2 years.

View attachment 51388
I'm curious if the motor contributes to accelerated tread loss on the tires. I try to rotate my tires a couple of times per year and think I would have to do it more frequently (not a "negative" at all) with the "e" bikes.

Does a DIY ebike count?

View attachment 51388
Do you pedal this bike at all?

I'm curious if the motor contributes to accelerated tread loss on the tires. I try to rotate my tires a couple of times per year and think I would have to do it more frequently (not a "negative" at all) with the "e" bikes.
No not really, over 18000km on my rear tire and my front is still going strong on 20000+km, schwalbe marathons

Do you pedal this bike at all?
Yes I always pedal, using between 300 - 800 watt of motor power on flats, only steeper inclines or emergency situations I might use full power, but will still pedal with it.

(I consider it light intensity exercise, while still going faster than any elite cyclist, haha)

No not really, over 18000km on my rear tire and my front is still going strong on 20000+km, schwalbe marathons

Yes I always pedal, using between 300 - 800 watt of motor power on flats, only steeper inclines or emergency situations I might use full power, but will still pedal with it.

(I consider it light intensity exercise, while still going faster than any elite cyclist, haha)
That is insane mileage out of those tires! I'd have to kind of look back through Strava to figure it out but the Bontrager tires are not nearly that durable, wear right down the middle whether I rotate or not. I switched to Fincci tires, Kevlar lined, that were pretty reasonable on Amazon. They have great reviews but we shall see. They ride better than the Bontrager for sure. I switched to Bell innertubes, too.

Last edited:
That is insane mileage out of those tires! I'd have to kind of look back through Strava to figure it out but the Bontrager tires are not nearly that durable, wear right down the middle whether I rotate or not. I switched to Fincci tires, Kevlar lined, that were pretty reasonable on Amazon. They have great reviews but we shall see. They ride better than the Bontrager for sure. I switched to Bell innertubes, too.
They cost me something like 16 euro/dollar per tire(38c / 1.5 inch) in a good sale here, that's just insane value for money. I never got flats, only at the end maybe around 17000km I started getting flats in the rear, so decided to replace the rear tire. I also only used cheaper "no brand" inner tubes.

They cost me something like 16 euro/dollar per tire(38c / 1.5 inch) in a good sale here, that's just insane value for money. I never got flats, only at the end maybe around 17000km I started getting flats in the rear, so decided to replace the rear tire. I also only used cheaper "no brand" inner tubes.
The price is not too far off from the Fincci tires. $55USD for 2 700x38.

Back