• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Bike hight NC750DTC

ilja

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi, Ive toppled over twice now when stopping. It happens so fast I cant say whether I slide of the seat or what. (And this on a level road!) But fact is, the bike is too high. Ive installed the lowering kit, but was disappointed, because it really lowered it by almost nothing. Ive been wondering about the seat. How successful would it be to either change for a lower seat or cut some sponge off. Im miserable. My bike is now scratched. Don't even want to risk driving out onto my driveway. Im on tip toes by the way, which is of course ridiculously dangerous when riding in traffic. Do you get a different seat with less sponge in? Or will I have to have it modified locally. Im in South Africa. Thanks for any advice

Sent from my G7-L01 using Tapatalk

Hey ilja and welcome to the Forum, a hearty welcome from north Idaho! Several folks have discussed that same issue on other threads here. Maybe do some checking when you get the chance. I remember several of the options, some you have already mentioned. You might look into the lowering kit you purchased and see if it is at it's lowest point or if there is another kit that would be even lower yet. Secondly, try removing some of the foam/reshaping your seat. Thirdly and oddly enough, try a different set of riding shoes/boots and have your local cobbler resole them with a 1"-1.5" lift in the sole from toe-to-heel. I believe a combination of these and other ideas you'll find will be just the ticket for you. :{)

They make adjustable links that can lower the seat height much more than a little but the sidestand will need to be shortened for any drastic drops in the seat height because it will be too long to allow the bike to lean to the left.

NC750X Lowering Link Links Kit (All Years)

They claim up to 100 mm of seat drop! I have them on my NC700X and adjusted them for about a 50 mm drop.

Last edited:
That's about 4" of lowering possible...OUTSTANDING! That'll get him riding again and with confidence. :{)

4” of lowering = wheel hitting fender.

As I said previously, my NC is dropped about 2" (50 mm) via adjustable links.

While it was on a lift with the bike on its centerstand, I mounted the standard shock/without spring and used a scissor jack to raise the rear wheel until the shock bottomed, then checked the tire clearance to the lower portion of the inner fender. It was about 1/2" (12 mm) so I felt that was adequate. And I've checked the inner fender periodically and so far there are no signs of contact.

The arc of the wheel and the curvature of the inner fender are on converging lines so beware! I would hesitate to go much further than 2" of lowering for safety reasons.

Last edited:
Yea, I had a guy make me some links that were 6" from hole to hole and it dropped the bike almost 2.5" or more after my rough measurement. The wheel was extremely close, even then. I loved the feel on the bike, but quickly changed back to the stock until I could have him make me some more. I had them made 5 3/8" which dropped the bike approximately an inch. I was not wanting to alter the side stand. It was enough to notice, but not enough to flat foot. Now, I'm firmly on the balls of my feet. One leg stops are even easier than they were stock, and I found them easy, then. I wouldn't mind having it lower, but I'm not going to any time soon. I'm 5'6" with a 29" inseam.

I have some significant experience in this area being an ST1100 rider with a Russell Day Long seat and a 28" inseam.

First and foremost, do NOT look at the dashboard when stopping. Always look up, preferably at the horizen. Once these bikes start to go, they are too heavy to stop. This was the most important thing I did.

Consider buying some Daytona MStar boots. They will raise you up an inch and 1/4. I added an inch more with an insole from Tallmanshoes.

An inch and 1/2 is pretty easy to get on the rear. I know several lower shocks are available, as are lowering Links. Shorter shocks are preferable than lowering links, if you can affford it. Check out Wilburs shocks. They have shorter fork springs too.
Wilbers Shocks - Raise or Lower your Ride Height

It is important to do both ends equally. You will not be able to slide the forks up enough to balance an inch and 1/2. On my ST1100 I had an inch of spacers in the forks removed. Shorter springs may be an option too.

You are better off lowering the bike no more than an inch and 1/2 and making up any difference with the boots.

You will have to get a shorter kickstand and centerstand. There is a street version of the NC that is shorter. It may be a good source for shorter kickstand, centerstand , shock and fork springs. You will have to do some searching around to find this out. I had my centerstand and sidestand cut and welded.

Back