• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Bikes that go 'click' in the night...

Paulplex

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all!

On my commute into work this morning, I noticed a clicking noise coming from what seems to be the swingarm, on the left hand side. It's not apparent at speed, but below 15MPH it starts, seems to be worse if you're turning left - and you can feel it through your foot on the left peg.

This evening on my way home it seemed to be worse - I recorded a short video of me paddling it forward with the engine off, so you can hear the noise it's making:

Checked the chain slack - on the centre stand, around 45mm (I prefer to keep it on the slack side) - and got out my Vernier callipers to check the chain adjusters are equally set and the wheel is straight. The rear brake pads do need to be replaced, but I don't think the noise is coming from there.

Any thoughts? I'm thinking perhaps a bearing needs replacement?

Kind regards
Paul

Bearings don't usually make a noise like that when bad. Pull the cover off the transmission sprocket and see if some foreign object got caught up in there or possibly the teeth on the sprocket are worn beyond belief. They can wear to the point of being hook-shaped and catch on the chain when rolling backwards. I kind of doubt they could be that worn but look under the black plastic cover over the sprocket to rule out the easy. There are two 8 mm bolts that secure the cover.

Bearings don't usually make a noise like that when bad. Pull the cover off the transmission sprocket and see if some foreign object got caught up in there or possibly the teeth on the sprocket are worn beyond belief. They can wear to the point of being hook-shaped and catch on the chain when rolling backwards. I kind of doubt they could be that worn but look under the black plastic cover over the sprocket to rule out the easy. There are two 8 mm bolts that secure the cover.
Appreciate the quick reply; chain and sprockets were both changed quite recently, so I'd be surprised if they were worn to any extent - certainly the rear sprocket isn't showing any signs of hooking, the chain hasn't any unexpected kinks or tight spots. However, I'll remove that cover tomorrow - that's a quick check I should be able to make

Thanks for all your comments - after work this evening, I took a closer look at things. Removing the plastic cover from the front sprocket, I undertook the 'fun' task of cleaning out the sticky gunk that forms from chain lube mixed with road dirt and dust. That done, the chain and front sprocket seem to be fine - with no worn teeth or foreign objects catching on things.

With the good wife following me around the car park outside the house, listening intently as I waddled it back and forth, I don't actually think it's the front that the noise is coming from - I think it's the back. Rear wheel bearings are sound, no play up and down, side to side, back to front. However the rear brake pads are very low - and I wonder if it's that. It's certainly something that needs to be done, so a task for tomorrow!

Rear wheel alignment might have been a bit off - that's corrected and the noise might be lessened as a consequence of that ...so hopefully with brake pads replaced and callipers given a good service, we'll be noise free.

...apart from the noise we want; not sure I'm quite ready for a silent electric bike just yet.

PXL_20220818_162708926.jpg

Perhaps have a look at torquing up the shock upper mounting bolt if it has worked loose. I have had a creaking noise like that previously and after a lot of head scratching it was the top bolt that had lost torque and was moving with the suspension movement albeit the movement was very slight. Its not meant to move because it has a rubber bushing in it from memory, so when the bolt is not tight enough it can do so. If not that then I am no wiser.

Hi all; grief, that took too long to come back - but new wheel bearings and the sound is gone. Weird how the sound and sensation seemed to come from the middle than the back?

Back