• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Black Hills,SD

gaknc700x

Reaction score
Visit site
Heading to SD/Wyo in Sept, seeking any advice for places/things to see. I have been there before and have seen the big sites. Looking for nice camping spots, eateries, curiosities etc. along the way. I would like to ride across northern Nebraska either going or coming from home in Pgh, Pa, everything else is open. As usual any and all riders( this forum has the best people) welcome for the ride or just a meet up. Thanks in advance for all your assistance.

Hwy 20 across Iowa and Nebraska. If going by Rockford I have 5 acres you can camp on or if I am home the night you come through a bed will be available.
Heading to SD/Wyo in Sept, seeking any advice for places/things to see. I have been there before and have seen the big sites. Looking for nice camping spots, eateries, curiosities etc. along the way. I would like to ride across northern Nebraska either going or coming from home in Pgh, Pa, everything else is open. As usual any and all riders( this forum has the best people) welcome for the ride or just a meet up. Thanks in advance for all your assistance.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Thanks. Nice 5 acres you're lucky, hope to see you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
I am 6 miles south of route 20. 20 is one of my favorite ways to go west. Scenic once west of Rockford, Illinois and once in Iowa it is 4 lane straight across Iowa with almost no traffic. No trucks in the way or beating you to death. Once in Nebraska it is two lane black top and 60 mph limit for the 1st 125 miles. Then it is 65 the rest of the way. There is a nice Honda Shop in Chadron about 2/3 across Nebraska. Sand hills and cattle country 1/2 way through as you are climbing 2 to 3000 feet across Nebraska. You can pop up to the black hill's from several routes. Depends on what you want to see.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Great, I like US routes. Btw, on this trip I'm riding my vstrom. I've taken my NC to AZ twice so easy to ride except in strong constant winds of the plains. Had to lean right most of the time in Ok and Tx.

We were in the area end of May beginning of June. We stayed a couple days at Custer State Park. We did some of the hikes (the park did have a major fire last year) and the ride through the Eye of the Needle tunnel was a very scenic drive with a couple narrow tunnels was well worth it. We also camped about 2 hours away in the Badlands. A half day exploring is all you need to see this very unique Park. Everyone told us to make sure to try the Indian Taco at the diner there, its a meal for 2. We also went outside the park and visited the Minuteman Missile museum and one of the silos and found that very interesting. We didn't know it ahead of time but if you make reservations weeks in advance, you can get a tour of one of the underground command centers, if I ever go back to that area, I will definitely give that a try. We also made a trip to Sturgis to get a t-shirt but the motorcycle museum was closed when we arrived so we missed seeing that. Devil's Tower in Wyoming was worth the stop and hike around it. Hope that helps.

Thanks NW Comet. Love Indian tacos, whereabouts is the diner?

The diner was attached to the gift shop and by the Visitor's Center inside the Badlands National Park. Its real close to the main campground so we ate there instead of cooking (boiling water... lol) one night.

im leaving san diego around then to see rushmore then heading east to see relatives, maybe we can ride some who knows pm me sometime. Im trying to stay out of temps below 35 degrees.

Hey Kali, that was last years post/ride... :{P

Although that was last years ride, there are plenty of folks headed there again this year for sure. It is a beautiful ride. If you do make it out that way, maybe consider riding up through Hell's Canyon/Snake river area. Incredible scenery and make a fine addition to your ride out there!

I am trying to plan a trip east to Yellowstone NP sometime in Aug-2019. Tentatively....I'll just run I-90 over into Montana and drop down through Big Sky. Spending some time riding around YNP, then down to the Tetons/Teton Village probably a day or two, then back up through Dubois Idaho for a night and back up through Montana and west over to Idaho. :{)

Last edited:
Back