• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Black or White?

And to make it on topic: yes, it’s white. This is after picking up my Pinlock insert from the delivery room and I put it in right afterwards. No more foggy face shield! A HUGE safety feature, IMO.

62abba50-80fe-4fe4-a4b6-e453e5131f28.jpeg

Last edited:
I don’t think a definitive study has been done on high viz, but one concluded the best combination was a high viz jacket and a white helmet.

The only “definitive study” that makes any sense to me is my own experience. Rode for decades with varying degrees of “invisibility” associated with my relative lack of visibility. Close calls became a riding “norm”. And I was never what anyone would call aggressive or inattentive. Ten years ago prior to a long trip I upgraded my riding gear and in doing so went with hi-vis. I can say without any hesitation or doubt that the difference really has been like night and day (or black and white in keeping with the theme here).

Close calls over the last ten years have been a rarity. An honest to goodness rarity. And most of that riding was in exactly the same conditions as say the ten years before I made the switch.

YMMV. I will swear by it. Whether it’s white, yellow, orange, or flashing lights with a beanie on the helmet. As long as it helps you be seen just a wee bit better than before and just enough to give that opposing driver pause, it’s all that matters. And could be what saves my life.

The only “definitive study” that makes any sense to me is my own experience.

YMMV. I will swear by it. Whether it’s white, yellow, orange, or flashing lights with a beanie on the helmet. As long as it helps you be seen just a wee bit better than before and just enough to give that opposing driver pause, it’s all that matters. And could be what saves my life.

I have a similar experience but with 4 wheel vehicles.

In the 'old days' I had regular license plates and/or license plate frames. I got rear ended several times at stop lights. This happened as recently as 2 years ago. Always in a car/pickup/suv that had a regular license plate or no-logo license plate frame.

However, on vehicles where I either have a state issued N.R.A. license plate, or I have an N.R.A. Life Member license plate frame, I've never been rear ended at an intersection.

YMMV

I have a similar experience but with 4 wheel vehicles.

In the 'old days' I had regular license plates and/or license plate frames. I got rear ended several times at stop lights. This happened as recently as 2 years ago. Always in a car/pickup/suv that had a regular license plate or no-logo license plate frame.

However, on vehicles where I either have a state issued N.R.A. license plate, or I have an N.R.A. Life Member license plate frame, I've never been rear ended at an intersection.

YMMV

There’s a message there... mine says “MAKE MY DAY”. Seems to have a similar affect; no one gets toooo close...

And I like it that way.

A good day for black & white (silver) gear for me, it seems.

First I ran across a clearance First Gear Rainier jacket for $150 (70% off, medium only) at J&P Cycles. 37.5 waterproofing? D30 Level 2 in elbow, shoulders; Level 1 in back? Okay, I’ll take it. There are/were still more left in medium if anyone is interested.

Second, I was browsing Amazon for waterproof overpants that would match. First Gear Kathmandu size 32 would work, unsurprisingly. $146?! Wait, it’s around $300 in the other sizes, the usual retail price... hm, same thing, shipped and sold by Amazon itself, only one left. Okay, if you insist I’ll go ahead and get it half off. The price for size 32 from “other sellers” instantly jumped to $300 on that page. Sorry to get the last one, other shoppers.

So today I spent $300 for jacket & overpants that originally retailed for a total of $800. Not bad!

7D1FEB14-4EB9-40F1-B083-7E90EF647878.jpg
E40CAB93-ABFE-4963-BDF7-70C8668FE074.jpg
EE1BAAEF-2513-4458-8538-E2BCA00E49FC.jpg

Good looking gear! You're all set for a road trip now!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
I still need to sort out luggage accessories and camping equipment, but it’s a big step forward. I was expecting to add clothing to my wish lists here and there, then wait & hope for a Black Friday sale or something. :eek:

Dellaster... My wife wears a FirstGear Monarch, which is the ladies version of the Renier you just purchased. Her’s is in Hi-Viz. it’s a great coat, plenty of coverage and protection. Waterproof? Yes! 37.5 refers to the fabrics supposed ability to maintain proper body temp but it’s just a shell, no insulation with modest venting. She overheats in the summer months when it’s humid, is cold in spring and fall unless she layers under it. But it is a great shell. Use it as a shell and it’s great for what it is. She wore it today in temps on our 120 mile ride that ranged from cloudy and 52 this morning to sunny and 65 this afternoon. She was wearing a thin wool pullover shirt under the FirstGear jacket and was a bit chilly this morning but comfortable the remainder of the day.

I have a FirstGear Kilimanjaro jacket, same 37.5 fabric as the Renier/Monarch. Honestly I love it for spring, fall and all but the hottest summer riding.

You’ll like your jacket and pants. I’ve looked at those pants many times and may still buy a pair!

Last edited:
Don’t misunderstand. It’s not like I was going without protective gear. This is a matter of upgrading what I already have, which is over seven years old, with some failed zippers, etc. I follow the ATGATT philosophy.

You’ll like your jacket and pants. I’ve looked at those pants many times and may still buy a pair!
Unfortunately the customer comments were not exaggerated when they said the pants run small. They don’t even fit at my size when wearing nothing else but underwear! Off they’re going back to Amazon. I think I would need two sizes larger, a 36, as an “overpant”. Problem might be that the length was perfect at 32. Maybe a 36 short? Anyway, none of the other sizes are discounted. It I’m going to pay full price on these I should buy them at a shop where I can try them out.

The medium jacket fit as expected, same as my current medium jacket. Which is a bit too snug, but that's cause I’ve been letting the pounds increase. I’m working on that, so they should be okay. :p

Unfortunately the customer comments were not exaggerated when they said the pants run small. They don’t even fit at my size when wearing nothing else but underwear! Off they’re going back to Amazon. I think I would need two sizes larger, a 36, as an “overpant”. Problem might be that the length was perfect at 32. Maybe a 36 short? ...

I'll keep that in mind. I typically wear a size 36 x 33" inseam. I'd probably need a 38 long. Maybe a 40 long?

I'll keep that in mind. I typically wear a size 36 x 33" inseam. I'd probably need a 38 long. Maybe a 40 long?

I was just checking the Kathmandu pants size chart at RevZilla and it appears that the inseam length only goes up from 31.5” to 32” when upsizing from 32. Regular sizes 34-40 are all 32 inseam, which should be fine for me.

Firstgear Kathmandu Overpants - RevZilla

CCA0E9FF-E3EE-4645-8D56-345858A0B427.jpg

Then again, some people say they bought their normal clothing size (e.g. size 32) and were able to wear jeans under them. The RevZilla video review says the same. It sounds like the sizing varies unpredictably. Oh well, I really liked how they felt other than waist size so I’ll likely give them another shot. Maybe there will be a Black Friday sale.

To put a conclusion on this derailment, I ended up getting lightly used Firstgear Kilimanjaro pants off Ebay for $170. Size 34 which fits like size 32 pants for me. Does everything Firstgear makes run a size or two small?! Anyway, they’ll work out okay if I don’t wear anything too thick underneath.

Today I did two hours and a bit in 80° to 87° heat. Surprisingly, the Rainier jacket + Kilimanjaro pants were more comfortable and I stayed less sweaty than when wearing Pilot mesh gear. I guess the 37.5 stuff is the real deal. So, at least in the arid heat of the Southwest, it’s 4-season gear, for me, since I simply do not go anywhere in the summer where the temps are upper 90s and above. I can choose where to be—such as up at 9000ft where it’s cooler—‘cause I’m retired with no fixed “home”. :cool:

After a hit & run accident in my black & gray jacket 15 years ago I decided on a hi-vis jacket. So far no accidents, just a few close calls. Problem was I went from mesh to textile & I'm getting too old to ride in 105+ Texas summers. Also the hi-vis yellow eventually became low-vis pastel yellow. So I got an orange mesh jacket. Used to have a hi-vis hello helmet too but the Schuberth C3 Pro is no longer hi-vis so I got white. My brother prefers the opposite; DON'T be seen. He just bought a new Can Am Spyder in "road gray" with a "road gray" helmet, black jacket, black gloves, black boots & he's looking at black riding pants. As if he took a picture of the road & asked the gear store "Can you match that color? Camo gray? I don't want people to see me." I went through the same thing. Wanted to look cool at first. Later preferred safe & comfortable.

I bought Hi-Viz jackets for me and my wife right after seeing a guy get creamed by a u-turner and lose his foot right behind our house. My bike is black but I have silver luggage boxes with red and white striped reflective tape, extra lights all around and a 120dB horn. And when I ride with the new trailer I get stares all around. If they are staring at you, you have definitely been noticed. Big believer in ATTGATT.

Back