• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

BMW R 1200RT gets a new home

dduelin

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
So I know this fellow with a 2007 BMW R 1200RT. I've ridden a lot with him. He decided it was time to retire the 07 and buy a new RTW. The problem is the 07 bike has a lot of miles and needs a clutch and a main oil seal so it isn't worth anything even though cosmetically it's a 9.5. The dealer wouldn't give him anything for it against the new bike and the Facebook and Craiglist tire kickers were driving him crazy. I've known him since he bought it new and know the maintenance history of the bike so I'm taking a chance I can replace the clutch and get a few nice years out of it. You know, ride it close to home, two or three states away, and keep my BMWMOA roadside assistance up to date. Some of the expensive stuff has been done - brake rotors, the driveshaft was rebuilt, clutch slave replaced. The clutch on a boxer is an involved job but I did one on the BMW R100 I owned a few years back and I have other bikes to ride so I can take my time. I have missed my R100 and look forward to another boxer. If it goes south my investment is about as much as a new Garmin Zumo. Wish me luck!

Attachments

• IMG_1973.jpg
    IMG_1973.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 260
Yep! Wishing you luck! Sounds like a fun project, and either way you can’t go wrong.

How much is a “lot of miles” for that model?

Update. Got clutch out last weekend. While the clutch was worn to minimum thickness it wasn't the cause of the clutch noise. The transmission input shaft bearings were bad. It could be rebuilt but the cost is prohibitive compared to sourcing a good used transmission. I'm waiting on parts to arrive before I forget how to put it back together

Attachments

• IMG_2043.jpg
    IMG_2043.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 185
Wowser, Dave....!!!!!!!!! I'm impressed. If I tried to do something like that, I would end up with a box full of kibbles/bits leftover.........scratchin my head!! :confused:

IMG_2073.jpg

All back together and running great again. I finished it up about sunset today and went for a ride to check it out. It took me about 15 hours labor and $600 in parts making my investment $1600.

Last edited:
That's awesome, Dave! I'll bet you're "beeming" with the satisfaction of a job well done!

Last edited:
BRAVO! Quite impressive (but then I'm an Electrical type)....
The sideways dissection pic had me confused until I caught the mirrors and bars - then my jaw dropped when I realized that the bike back half was JUST GONE!
That pic made my day. Way to go Dave!

I've never had a Beemer, but ALMOST bought a new 1985 K100 in West Germany when stationed there. (still have the English/German brochure:rolleyes:)

Curtis

Back