• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Body crash risk zones

Bskicrash1

Reaction score
Visit site
Thought this was an interesting read.

I know it’s a dated article, but I wanted to share in case anyone here hasn’t seen it.

309F57D2-6F03-4452-9CFA-C39DC227D383.png

I'm surprised they didn't include the HANDS in the diagrams.

I would think the palms of the hands would be "zone 1" for impact and slide/high abrasion. Backs of hands probably "zone 2" for impact but low abrasion.

I'm surprised they didn't include the HANDS in the diagrams.

I would think the palms of the hands would be "zone 1" for impact and slide/high abrasion. Backs of hands probably "zone 2" for impact but low abrasion.
I believe the standard is only for pants and jackets so hands/gloves are covered under a separate standard. This is only relevant to EN 17092 or 13595 depending on which you use.

I'm an MSF rider coach and we teach that 50% of all head impacts happen below the eyes. We say that for those people who choose to wear the state minimum helmet of a skull cap. I think we are somewhat fortunate here in the PNW since it is so cold and wet for much of the year. ATGATT is much easier when you have to do that anyway to not freeze to death. When I visit CA or AZ, I rarely see folks wearing ATGATT. When it's 75-85 or higher, I get it. But for those of us who have gone sliding across an Interstate and miraculously walked away, we never ever throw our legs over a bike without all the gear. "All the gear" for me includes a Helite Airbag vest. To each their own.

When I was trying to "prove my point" to my 16-yer old son, when he started long-boarding, how helmet is important, I took my first motorcycle helmet with several scratches, and told him to try to make another scratch, with his fingernail. I told him to scratch as hard as he can. Of course nothing. Then I told him to scratch his head, with the same pressure. He didn't think much before he did it - and I saw the tears in his eyes...
10 years later he still is swearing to God he wore the helmet all the time.
I proved my point... :D

I cringe when I see the folks with little or no gear, what really winds me up though is a squid on a sport bike with full race type gear, with his little honey on the back in shorts and halter top- you just KNOW he “really” cares about her. Idiots.

What would be the reason that numbers on the left side of the helmet are smaller than on the right side?
Just my guess, but most people are right hand dominant so I would think that would influence their choices in how they react in the instance before a crash. That split second choice before an accident would likely be what answers your question but I doubt there is data to prove it.

What would be the reason that numbers on the left side of the helmet are smaller than on the right side?
Just my guess, but most people are right hand dominant so I would think that would influence their choices in how they react in the instance before a crash. That split second choice before an accident would likely be what answers your question but I doubt there is data to prove it.
That sounds as logical as any reason I could think of. The only other thing I'd think to look at would be how many accidents happen during say RH turns vs LH turns or which side is a motorcyclist more likely to be hit from during a 2+ vehicle accident.
Ultimately it's just reporting real world data, so it would be more strange to have exactly the same numbers left to right. Statistically, the numbers should be close to, but not exactly, mirrored.

As a follow on note, as a left hander, I do NOT volunteer to take part in a study to investigate the impact of handedness on where you smash your head into the ground when you come off a motorcycle... :p

It does make a sense...

Afan said:

My guess is that either:

1) The difference doesn't stand up to statistical significance testing, meaning the difference left to right is just within expected scatter,

or, more likely in my opinion,

2) It's to do with which side of the road one drives on in the country or countries that data was collected in, and how that relates to which side hazards come from (such as people pulling out from parking lots and driveways, oncoming traffic turning across one's path, etc.).

Handedness may also be a factor.

I started riding street motorcycles in 2006 with the mentality of ATGATT. Even in hot Atlanta summers, I was full gear. As the years went on, I slacked and would skip wearing pants that could slide and would settle on jeans. Then one day I broadsided a deer at 55mph. I kept it on two wheels, but destroyed my left leg because it knocked me off the seat and I dabbed the pavement. I thanked God I didn’t go down and since then I wear every bit of gear every time. I have had more “close calls” than I can remember and moments where I thought “that was almost very bad”. I know every one of us in the motorcycling community is aware of the danger of riding. I do not judge others for what they wear, because the risk is always there that the sudden deceleration can end our life regardless of gear. My brother has been riding street and dirt longer than me and will wear tennis shoes and shorts. I’ve given him my view on it and he respects that. I also respect his choice. I like this forum and it’s members. I respect much of what is shared here and hope everyone is safe out there!

I started riding street motorcycles in 2006 with the mentality of ATGATT. Even in hot Atlanta summers, I was full gear. As the years went on, I slacked and would skip wearing pants that could slide and would settle on jeans. Then one day I broadsided a deer at 55mph. I kept it on two wheels, but destroyed my left leg because it knocked me off the seat and I dabbed the pavement. I thanked God I didn’t go down and since then I wear every bit of gear every time. I have had more “close calls” than I can remember and moments where I thought “that was almost very bad”. I know every one of us in the motorcycling community is aware of the danger of riding. I do not judge others for what they wear, because the risk is always there that the sudden deceleration can end our life regardless of gear. My brother has been riding street and dirt longer than me and will wear tennis shoes and shorts. I’ve given him my view on it and he respects that. I also respect his choice. I like this forum and it’s members. I respect much of what is shared here and hope everyone is safe out there!
This is true and it is somehow a very American sentiment. We are strongly libertarian about this sort of thing, though I support a requirement for seat belts and speed limits and therefore, helmet laws. How we balance our Don't Tread on Me with our keeping people from dying from stupidity is a tricky thing. Either extreme is silly. None want a nanny state. None want a truly anarchic nation. I've always loved that Berkeley bumper sticker of "Anarchists Unite!".

This is true and it is somehow a very American sentiment. We are strongly libertarian about this sort of thing, though I support a requirement for seat belts and speed limits and therefore, helmet laws. How we balance our Don't Tread on Me with our keeping people from dying from stupidity is a tricky thing. Either extreme is silly. None want a nanny state. None want a truly anarchic nation. I've always loved that Berkeley bumper sticker of "Anarchists Unite!".
Personally I believe people have the right to be idiots with their own safety. Don't believe in seatbelt laws or airbag requirements in cars, but I wear a seatbelt and wouldn't buy a daily driver without airbags. Don't believe in helmet laws either, but I'm an ATGATT guy. Ride your ride. Live your life. Your liberties only end when they infringe upon the liberties of others.

I'm more fond of the Libertarian bumper sticker:

LIBERTARIANS: diligently plotting to take over the world and then leave you alone!

Back