• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

BRAKE / CLUTCH LEVERs

Jay Fridays

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
3106581100034040_4.jpg
I couldn't find much anything on people upgrading/swapping out their brake or clutch handle levers.

I had not thought about it, until I decided to vinyl wrap the bike black. I found some baddass black brake levers and I thought they'd be a cool addition. I'm gonna throw it on now and show some pics...

I got the DCT so I won't need the clutch side....

Anyone else got some lever mods to show?!?!?

BRAKE / CLUTCH !?!?!

XXD-LEV-STD-SHT-BK-BK-05.jpg

Last edited:
From the looks of it, I'd say it is EXTREMELY easy to change the brake lever. One/two screw?? I don't have a clutch, so I'm not sure on that side...

However with my luck, It will require the complete dismantling of the engine and rear master brake caliper, to replace my front brake lever....lmfao!! j/k
--------------------

I got the set for like $28 with shipping from CHina...lol
From ebay. Tere are a bunch of cool color combinations also, you just put the Item name title into the Ebay search bar.

Pro Brake Clutch Levers for Honda CB599 CB600 Hornet 98 04 05 06 CB900 02 07 SBB | eBay

I have a set of the long and a set of the short EBay levers. The only issues on mine were the long clutch lever hit on the inside edge of the handlebar end weight and put a small chip in the paint and the pivot holes are a little too big. Makes the levers pretty loose and allows up and down movement. Some people have posted that the brake lever they got pushed on the side of the brake light switch and damaged it. Mine don't have that problem, but it would be a good idea to make sure the lever pushes straight against the switch when you put it on. I'm now using the short levers and outside of the looseness in the pivot they work fine.

Bob

I have a set of the long and a set of the short EBay levers. The only issues on mine were the long clutch lever hit on the inside edge of the handlebar end weight and put a small chip in the paint and the pivot holes are a little too big. Makes the levers pretty loose and allows up and down movement.

Some people have posted that the brake lever they got pushed on the side of the brake light switch and damaged it.

Mine don't have that problem, but it would be a good idea to make sure the lever pushes straight against the switch when you put it on. I'm now using the short levers and outside of the looseness in the pivot they work fine.

Bob

This.

My first set of levers (long) look exactly like everyone else's posted here, but the brake lever tab that activates the microswitch for the brake light, hit the little plastic nubbin at a very slight angle instead of 90*

It worked for a month or so, before failing and finally breaking the delicate part.

I made sure to go to a different company (also Ebay, same as the first levers) and chose shorty ones this time. I made doubly sure that: "Fits 2012 NC700X" was prominently listed in more than a few places in the ad.

Guess what? The consarned dirty rat bastard brake switch locator tab is identical to the longer one purchased through a completely different company! I would bet money they were made in the same factory in China, lol.

Absolutely awesome quality, nothing to complain there, but again, a tiny, tiny, little angle of the lever tab instead of a flush contact at the microswitch, and same result. Screws up the switch and breaks it unless the switch is modified. (remove, file off locator peg, glorp glue and/or thin 3M sticky tape onto it, and reinstall at an ever so slight angle, to match up with 90* to the lever tab)

Trying to modify the lever instead, would fully bring the suck compared to re angling the brake switch.

Well... Thanks for the input... I just put it on.. It looks great, i love it... But now I'm scared that I'm gonna ruin my switch. I see what you mean by the non-perfect angle. I am gonna throw back on the stock lever and see what it looks like. Then I'm gonna add something onto one side of the new lever's contact surface to make it a flush contact.

Last edited:
Just make sure your brake doesn't stay on all the time.

Ya know... Funny u say that... My brake is a little sticky sometimes... Even wih the stock lever. Never stays on more than a fraction of a second, but sticky. And when i took off the stock lever, i noticed a lot of sticky grimey residue on the actual button/switch mechanism...

Ya know... Funny u say that... My brake is a little sticky sometimes... Even wih the stock lever. Never stays on more than a fraction of a second, but sticky. And when i took off the stock lever, i noticed a lot of sticky grimey residue on the actual button/switch mechanism...

I had the China version on for a short while, until I noticed my brakes didn't turn off.

Then I'm gonna add something onto one side of the new lever's contact surface to make it a flush contact.

I look forward to seeing your solution to this problem. Adding something to the lever will not change the fact that the lever tab hits the microswitch at an angle, because of the arc in which it travels.

I think if anything, you'd have to remove material from the tab, but then there might not be enough contact between lever and switch to keep it fully depressed. (the plastic nubbin is spring loaded, and is kept pushed in by the lever tab to keep the brake light off, and when you pull the lever to brake, the tab moves off the switch, and the spring loaded nubbin is released, to complete the circuit to activate the brake light)

I had thought about filing off quite a bit of the lever tab at an angle, and then adding material (like JB Weld or two part epoxy putty stick stuff) at an opposite angle, to try and minimise the arc sweep differential, but at that point I realized it would be infinitely easier just to pivot the switch instead...

OOOOOOOOOooooooooh .... You all are talking about the button on the backside that is released when you pull the brake lever? Not the button that is pressed when you pull the brake? I didn't even look on that side.

I was saying that when I pull the brake, It (the button that is depressed on braking) kinda sticks in the pulled position, if I just let it go. Like there is gunk in there or something.

UPDATE !!

It's not springing back into position because of that little nub you all were talking about...lol (why I love this forum) The lever that depresses the num on brake release doesn't cover the little nub completely and it hits it at a tiny angle.

I had this issue with the stock lever though too.. That it would not spring back. But I never realized what the hang up was...

I think I know how to fix it.... I'm gonna try something today, and let you all know....

Last edited:
This stickiness i have is in the mech. It was the same with stock and the new one. Im gonna try and clean out the mechanism and switch...

Be veeeeewy careful...

The switch's nubbin is uber fragile, and is encapsulated with a litle rubber condom boot. It's exceptionally easy to tear this rubber boot and break the wee thing right from new, let alone if it's been stressed from bending already.

I don't think you can open the body of the switch up to get at the internals. (unless you take a Dremel tool to it, and well, if you're patient and skilled enough enough to try that route, I'm anxious to see the pics)

The "stickiness" of my switch had nothing to do with grease, or dirt, or lube, or debris of any kind. It was sticking and was rough/gritty feeling because the plastic nubbin was in the process of breaking and was cocked in the off angle attitude. It's basically only the micro thin rubber boot that holds the nubbin from popping right out of the switch body.

That was my first clue that there was something amiss; the brake lever felt ever so slightly sticky when activating the switch. I didn't know it was actually in the process of breaking the thing from the angle pressure, until it was too late.

OOOOOOOOOooooooooh .... You all are talking about the button on the backside that is released when you pull the brake lever? Not the button that is pressed when you pull the brake? I didn't even look on that side.

I was saying that when I pull the brake, It (the button that is depressed on braking) kinda sticks in the pulled position, if I just let it go. Like there is gunk in there or something.

Yes, I was talking strictly about the brake light switch.

You are talking about the piston in the master cylinder?

Ah! I wouldn't have ever thought to call this a "button" lol

You are talking about the piston in the master cylinder?

You gear-heads, and your fancy words....lol

We, in the medical field, call it a "button"....LmFao!!!!
j/k

(This reply recommended by 4/5 doctors)

PS. Thanks again....lol

And I wonder if anyone else experienced this with the stock lever, as I did.

Last edited:
If you have a DCT model,you can fit an adjustable front brake lever which are fitted as standard to other Honda motorcycles (such as early CB600 hornet's etc). You may have to talk to your dealer to find out which one will fit. I fitted a pattern brake lever which cost £12 English ( about 18 US dollars).Unfortunately,there are no adjustable clutch levers from other Hondas' which will fit and you have to buy one of the aftermarket ones that are for sale on the internet.

Back