• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Brake fluid replacement

drdubb

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I've bled brakes before, but I've not changed fluid as part of maintenance.

Do I just add fresh fluid at the reservoir, bleeding at the caliper until I have fresh fluid?

Thanks

I use a syringe to pull out the old fluid from the reservoir before adding fresh new brake fluid. You might find that there is a little gooey dark stuff down in the corners of reservoir. I add a little new fluid then swish with a Q tip and syringe that stuff out to start fresh with everything clean. Fill the reservoir with new fluid and bleed at the caliper until fresh new fluid is coming out.

This might help: 12,000 mile Brake Fluid Replacement

Edit to add: I posted that DIY when I owned a non-ABS 2013 model. ABS bikes 2014 and newer can use the exact same sequence, ABS makes no difference or difficulty. 2012 and 2013 ABS bikes have a different front caliper that has a different bleed sequence, adding one step for the foot brake to bleed the center front piston.

Last edited:
Back